1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Smokey startups

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smokey startups

I have ran about 1200 miles since putting in my rosewood stage 1's. The weather is cooling off and starts ups are smokey a black puff then white. Don't notice any blue And the puffs of smoke last a while. A few times it struggled to start, almost like I let go of the key too early and it chugged and chugged to stay running. Tested my GP relay and the ohms on my GP's and they are fine. I did VC gaskets about 2 yrs ago and swapped to the SD style, also did the GO's and the GP relay at the same time.
Other than at startup I have no smoke at all other than black when I hammer down on it . It's almost a smokey mist, not real thick but thick enough to see it at night with some lights around. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:57 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts
Whose tunes are you running?

Old 11-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Dp-tuner. I'm thinking about hooking it up to the computer and removing the tunes then putting them back on and see if there is a difference. Idk

Old 11-08-2015, 08:36 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Which platform? The f-6? Might be worth calling Jody and tell him what it is doing. He may be able to tweak your tunes for you

Old 11-08-2015, 08:40 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
I find it strange that your signature isn't showing up. I just saw it on another thread and see that you have the f-6. I would give Jody a shout and see what he says

Old 11-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 97-psd
Which platform? The f-6? Might be worth calling Jody and tell him what it is doing. He may be able to tweak your tunes for you
Ya the f-6. I'm wondering because when I was swapping tunes I thought I needed the key on and noticed a bunch of clicking from some relays and such. Now I'm thinking. OH CRAP!! What did I screw up. Lol. im plugging it in tonight and see if it makes a difference in the AM

Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Splatts
Ya the f-6. I'm wondering because when I was swapping tunes I thought I needed the key on and noticed a bunch of clicking from some relays and such. Now I'm thinking. OH CRAP!! What did I screw up. Lol. im plugging it in tonight and see if it makes a difference in the AM
If that don't help I'm goin to contact Jody and see if anyone else has had this issue.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I have ran about 1200 miles since putting in my rosewood stage 1's. The weather is cooling off and starts ups are smokey a black puff then white. Don't notice any blue And the puffs of smoke last a while. A few times it struggled to start, almost like I let go of the key too early and it chugged and chugged to stay running. Tested my GP relay and the ohms on my GP's and they are fine. I did VC gaskets about 2 yrs ago and swapped to the SD style, also did the GO's and the GP relay at the same time.
Other than at startup I have no smoke at all other than black when I hammer down on it . It's almost a smokey mist, not real thick but thick enough to see it at night with some lights around. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Clamp a jumper cable clamp on the 2 large posts on the GPR & start it . I think you will find the GPR is bad .

Old 11-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Action4478
Clamp a jumper cable clamp on the 2 large posts on the GPR & start it . I think you will find the GPR is bad .
I get 11.5 volts on both posts when the key is on. I guess it won't hurt to try

Old 11-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
I get 11.5 volts on both posts when the key is on. I guess it won't hurt to try
It may not be enough to carry the load needed .Open one up sometime & you will see why

Old 11-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
It may not be enough to carry the load needed .Open one up sometime & you will see why
Maybe my batteries need a good charge. Idk but they are only a year old.
If I remember right the 97 Cali has a different GP relay than the others?? Maybe that relay isn't working with the new tunes? Since my truck originally was tuned for Cali split shots and now it is tuned for a 49 state single shot injectors.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
THe 97 Cali GPR has a shunt that sends power to each head separately & is measured by the PCM IIRC . Same contacts inside .

Old 11-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
THe 97 Cali GPR has a shunt that sends power to each head separately & is measured by the PCM IIRC . Same contacts inside .
i believe u are right. Do u think removing the shunt would do anything? I don't think it would hurt but it's worth a try I guess.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Splatts,

I have had this same issue for the last few years. The little bit of advice I can give is do not assume GPs, relays and batteries right off the bat with big injectors. I think it somewhat comes with the modification, and I personally think the idle needs more fuel pulled out of it when cold.

I have done exactly what you stated on multiple occasions and measured voltage drop, resistance accross the plugs, overall the system tested fine on numerous occasions. I have a new set of GP in there, VCG, UVCH, and a stancore relay.... My truck smokes white so bad its embarrassing. It will fog out our entire front yard.... Only happens when its cold out. (Which is every morning currently below 30) Clears right up going through first and second gear and then its mostly gone. Run through the gears once and its completely gone. If you have deleted your EBPV this will cause more smoke too... Truck has started right up without a heater when it was -37 out.... its not the GP system...its the programming IMO.

I will try to get a daylight video for you. Like I said. This truck did it back when I had worn stock injectors, and does it much worse with stage 1s. I have simply just gotten used to it, as with everything I have done to it over the years...no change what so ever.

My F5 goes back to Jody here in a month to be upgraded to a F6 and reburnt.... we will see if that helps, I have a feeling it wont.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was a few years ago on stock injectors/chip in stock tune on startup....Just more white with stage 1s....

Quick Reply: Smokey startups