1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Billet compressor wheel and quick spool on stock sticks

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
JMO, but if its a tow vehicle only, and you don't want to upgrade the turbo, stay with stock injectors. No matter what you do it will be hot with that little turbo and even just stage ones. Trust me, been there.
I agree, especially given that you tow in elevation.
But I seriously think you need to look into why your boost is low. I think your losing some ponies somewhere (and potentially causing higher egts too).

Old 11-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
I agree, especially given that you tow in elevation.
But I seriously think you need to look into why your boost is low. I think your losing some ponies somewhere (and potentially causing higher egts too).
I have been VERY proactively chasing why I have low boost and high egts for the past 8 months since Ive owned the truck. I cant figure it out. I dont have any boost leaks, and I just redid up pipes. I either have a fuel leak, a bad turbo, or a bad hpop. But nothings sending even soft CEL codes. Ill end up having to do a terminator, Efuel, and the turbo. But the turbo is cheapest so itll go first.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:30 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
What condition is your turbo compressor in? Can you post a pic?
How is the shaft play?

I don't remember if you have a scan or mech gauge to monitor ICP, but if you do what kind of readings are you getting?

What is your fuel pressure at idle?

Old 11-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
What condition is your turbo compressor in? Can you post a pic?
How is the shaft play?

I don't remember if you have a scan or mech gauge to monitor ICP, but if you do what kind of readings are you getting?

What is your fuel pressure at idle?
I havent been able to take the turbo off yet. Im going to be doing that soon though, and just replacing the housing to the 1.0 and doing the ww2. When I have it off Ill do a all the gaskets for the turbo, and check for wheel play. I checked the wheels movement a while back and it seemed fine but that was with it still installed on the truck.

Ive had a few issues with the trucks fueling system. My fuel filters keep getting plugged off. I need to drain and clean the fuel tanks, but I was just waiting for efuel before I did that.

I went with the Pro-torque app and the Vgate but it doesnt show me Fuel pressure.

I have some shaft play, but its only to one direction. My turbo wheel also has been dusted. It has a sharp jagged edge on one of the wheels.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid
Right now my boost tops out at 17 psi @ about 2950rpms. Id like to get my psi past 20, and get it there before 2800 rpms. Ideal conditions would be the new billet wheel spools up quicker and to 20psi. Ill try it first, thanks for the advice Cowmilker. With the 1.0 will my egts rise by alot or are we talking 50degrees? Also have u tried the 1.0 with the 6.0 intercooler?
Is this at altitude or sea-level? You mentioned climbing "the mesa", do you know how high that is? If you are over 4,000 ft ASL, lowered boost (and higher EGTs) would be expected. Over 7,000 ft ASL, and performance should be about 1/2 seal level.

BTW, when I climb hills (8 to 10% grades on the east coast), I do so at 2800 to 3,000 RPM in 3rd gear for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. The red line is 3200 and the truck won't fuel much past that. The idea is to climb at peak HP anyway. Higher engine speed will keep your EGTs in check.

If you want maximum power hill climbing, you might want to look into water/meth injection. It's about the only way that I know of.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:49 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
There is no sensor for fuel pressure (at least that the pcm sees) so Torque Pro can't see it either.

I didn't think about the loss of boost at elevation. Your compressor wheel doesn't look all that bad. Its far from ideal, but elevation is probably screwing you over.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
The elevation here is definitely a factor. I know all about the power loss from thee elevation. The mesa goes from 3700 or so ft to 12500 ft in just 10 miles. It's an MFer of a hill climb. It's a about 40 mins of constantly pulling at 2900 or higher rpms. I know at 12500 ft there's a 25% power lose then the turbo brings back about 7% of that, then I have another 25% lose of power from the auto tranny/tcase/drive shaft/axles/tires.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
If I could get a about 20psi of boost at 2750-2800rpms while towing. I could get my egts manageable, not bog down, and keep my engine from being overworked. The issue I'm having now is I'm either going 10mph up the 45mph hill or I'm going 40mph up the hill at 2900-3100 rpms to keep enough boost to hold egts at bay. Anything in between is about 5psi of oost and 1400egts.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've never run water injection on anything, other that some failed home made experiment on an old GMC truck years ago, but I second Nicks suggestion. Seems like it would be worth checking into.

I'm not sure about the 1.0 housing and upgraded wheel. Seems like it will spool up faster while accelerating but once you reach your steady climbing speed the EGT's will still be high or higher due to the increased backpressure. Since this is a dedicated towing truck the best long term solution for the EGT's may be a bigger turbo. But I don't do much heavy hauling and my turbo is stock so I can't provide any real experience.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:20 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't think the 1.0 housing is going to help you with that much of an incline. I could be wrong though. If I were in your shoes I would start with just the wheel. It should help increase boost and by not changing out the housing your egts won't be any higher

Old 11-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bob_T
I've never run water injection on anything, other that some failed home made experiment on an old GMC truck years ago, but I second Nicks suggestion. Seems like it would be worth checking into.

I'm not sure about the 1.0 housing and upgraded wheel. Seems like it will spool up faster while accelerating but once you reach your steady climbing speed the EGT's will still be high or higher due to the increased backpressure. Since this is a dedicated towing truck the best long term solution for the EGT's may be a bigger turbo. But I don't do much heavy hauling and my turbo is stock so I can't provide any real experience.
Bigger turbo in my truck with stock 90cc injectors would equal turbo lag and spool up even later In the rpms. Wich would give me higher egts. The 1.15 housing we have stock is a little too big, it's more suited for the 160cc SD injectors. My egts are high due to a lack of boost being delivered to the fuel mixture. I can't cool my egts down because my boost won't kick in soon enough. Once I hit 14 psi it starts cooling down. My exhaust doesn't seem to be the issue because when I went from 3.5-4" zero things changed. I didn't even see a difference when I changed out the dp.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
I really don't think the 1.0 housing is going to help you with that much of an incline. I could be wrong though. If I were in your shoes I would start with just the wheel. It should help increase boost and by not changing out the housing your egts won't be any higher
Yeah I'm hoping just the ww2 will help. But I'm not that optimistic about it. I also REALLY don't wanna take the turbo apart/out twice. I think there's a fuel delivery issue somewhere.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:05 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid
Yeah I'm hoping just the ww2 will help. But I'm not that optimistic about it. I also REALLY don't wanna take the turbo apart/out twice. I think there's a fuel delivery issue somewhere.
the first times the worst. If you decide fairly soon afterwords that the 1.0 is what you need it won't be to bad to pull. Just a pain in the ****. Superduties don't have 160cc injectors. Or they would have a serious egt problem. They also have a wastegate.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:03 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever do the wheel change?

Old 03-28-2016, 08:42 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mcali2
Did you ever do the wheel change?
No not yet, got laid off almost a year ago. Been pretty broke since.

Quick Reply: Billet compressor wheel and quick spool on stock sticks