6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Traction control got me real good.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,626 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricohman
I was out in the badlands today for Mule deer and got stuck, twice.
The first time was on this innocent looking road with the texture of grease. When the truck finally stopped moving it slid sideways until one rear wheel was off the road.
I have driven on these roads for many years and without wheel speed to clean the tires forward motion stopped. When I put it in low range it made the problem even worse. So I went and hiked to the top of the range to think for a bit for and look at some deer. Truck was stuck in two inches of mud!
After backing up off the road in high range I managed to get enough momentum to get out.
Then an hour later I did the same thing, but stuck good this time. It was then I realized that I had no wheel speed and needed to switch this thing off or I wasn't getting home tonight. I do not like going into the badlands by myself.
I think its backward. You should switch it on when you need it.

Cool pics! Knowing that you are from SK, as soon as I saw your pictures, I knew where you were. I used to go up through that part of the world once in a while on my way to Regina when hauling fuel back down! Whenever I got tired of the "scenery" along highway 6! Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes it is desolate in there. All you can hear is the wind.
And I appreciate the advice given earlier about the winch and pull pal. But that equipment is on my Land Cruiser. The F350 is by far more comfortable to drive and gets triple the fuel economy. But its no off road warrior.
Gives me the excuse to hike more and drive less.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:44 AM
miner999r
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got into some interesting Saskatchewan mud as well. Traction control is definitely not a help and you have to turn it off or the truck goes nowhere. The gumbo mud is real interesting stuff.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:50 AM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow your truck must be invisible, I couldn't see it in any of those pics....

As soon as I start the truck I turn the radio and climate, and then turn the traction and advance trac off... I have played with the TC a bit off road and when crawling up a hill at an angle when the high Side tire spins for a few seconds, you can hear the abs brake that side and then continue to climb like my brothers Land Rover.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:40 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Yep. my dually automatically turns off TC when shifting into either of the 4WD positions.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:08 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
mine will shut off in 4 hi, about worthless, wish I could do a traction control delete.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:28 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Had the same thing happen to me. Was in unknown territory, following a chebby 1/2 ton in some mud. He went up a hill and I didn't. Tried a couple of times and couldn't figure it out. Finally realized the TC was kicking in and keeping me from cresting the summit. Turned it off and all was good.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:31 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Big Muddy Badlands, Saskatchewan.
Name? Because its says that on the map
Interesting terrain....

Old 11-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by yamaguy
Wow your truck must be invisible, I couldn't see it in any of those pics....

As soon as I start the truck I turn the radio and climate, and then turn the traction and advance trac off... I have played with the TC a bit off road and when crawling up a hill at an angle when the high Side tire spins for a few seconds, you can hear the abs brake that side and then continue to climb like my brothers Land Rover.
Sure you can. See my shadow? Its shadow is to my left!

Old 11-08-2015, 08:43 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure you can. See my shadow? Its shadow is to my left!
Oh wow, not sure how I missed that!! Thanks!

Old 11-10-2015, 04:33 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does letting some air out of the tires help in that kind of mud? I used that trick in my 95 F150.

To the guys who have had bad experiences with the traction control, how did the locking rear axle come into play? Make things worse, better, or the same?

Old 11-10-2015, 05:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Since I have the Dana Super 80 LS, it actually (the LS) works very good.

I have had my DRW buried up to the axles but able to get out.

This deep

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2015, 08:41 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I too ran into the same problem with the traction control while elk hunting this year. Was in the mountains with lots of snow, ice and mud on the roads. I'm not use to having to turn off the TC yet. It was a real pain to get around with the quad trailer attached It didn't help much with the stock tires either. I also carry two sets of V bar tire chains with me while in the mountains and they help a lot. I won't be caught with out them. It's amazing how much they can help and keep you from sliding off the road or getting stuck.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by IronCobra
Brother, if youre going to be out there alone, you need to install a Winch and carry a land anchor wih you, it wouldnt be fun doing an overnighter in your truck stuck in the mud.
X2 Iron Cobra....

I was wondering if it was the American or Canadian badlands too.

And I too have had TC issues in sand and mud - better without than with. On the slippery stuff (snow/ice) I guess I don't have enough experience as the only thing that gets me going is 4WD once I start spinning... TC on, locked rear, open rear, TC Off, etc... Although I really have more of an issue with the stopping part... And ABS just means, avoid braking short.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:50 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
And this is an excellent reason to have locking differentials in the front and back. I'd be happy with electrics in my DRW. Not very often you would need it - but - imagine the embarrassment it would save

Hard to tell, but it looks like just the right front and left rear are driving while the right rear and left front benefit from open differentials. I wonder if this truck has a limited slip. I have not been impressed with the limited slip differentials in any of the products I have owned in the last 20+ years. In an effort to minimize noise, manufacturers have been adding "friction modifiers" to the clutch type differentials. Friction modifiers as in make it slip some so there is no noise on turns.

Quick Reply: Traction control got me real good.....