1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What "Truism's have been revealed in your Gear-head Journey?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Always check to see that the drain plug is back in.

Goes into the same category has Wayne's suggestion.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Organization is the key, and the one thing that is really hard for me. Having my truck in my wood shop (cabinets and furniture in my wood shop is what I do for a living) makes it very difficult to keep the truck tools and supplies organized. Not to mention time management.
Trying to keep up with what I have purchased but not installed has been difficult. I actually bought three different sets of hood bolts (twice I forgot that I had already) and then didn't use any since I reversed the hood. That is just one sample, I have done it with other parts too, some much more expensive

Old 11-08-2015, 09:16 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll finish the brakes after running it up the block
Never enough cheater bars
The gloves you bought to protect your hands work better when worn
When you get one of those scratches that peel back the skin, don't use grease to stop the bleeding
Always make sure the little hole in the paint can sprayer is pointed in the right direction
When you get rid of your wife you really do have more money and time

All the above I learned from other people

Old 11-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
1. Keep a log of all the work you perform on your truck, so that you don't forget what has been done, and then needlessly do it again.

2. You will forget to write down what you have done, and needlessly do it again at some point.

3. Keep a list of all those parts you buy for your truck, but will install at a later date.

4. You will still forget what you have bought, and end up with at least two of the same new parts.

5. If you are persistent in number 4 above, be content in that eventually, you may have enough parts to build out a second truck.

6. On a more serious note, you will rarely be completely satisfied with a large percentage of the re-manufactured parts you buy. Good enough, seems to be the norm.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Probably best to choose a single color of socks early on in life, and stay with it.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:15 AM
fordf348
Laughing Gas
Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
Many of these things are funny because I have done just about all of them.......I really get upset about that drain plug issue

Old 11-08-2015, 10:17 AM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
[QUOTE
Always make sure the little hole in the paint can sprayer is pointed in the right direction[/QUOTE]

Winner

Old 11-08-2015, 10:56 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
-Definitely keep a log of everything you've done.
-Make a list of everything you need to do.
-Don't be afraid to try it yourself.
-Advice is like cooking--you should try it before you feed it to others.
-Good luck on everybody's build's.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:21 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
time... when pressed by a wife or significant other on "When are you gonna finish" or "How much longer is that gonna take"... quickly estimate what you think... then double it... then tell the s.o. 2.5 times that amount... then get your excuse ready when you underestimate by 3.5 times that amount.

changes... everything you change... changes three more things all by itself
two of those changes you had no idea it was possible to change

I couldn't lose more 1/2" combination wrenches if I went out the yard and started throwing them in random directions...

whenever you are flailing away with a hammer to 'persuade' something to move... and you miss... the hammer will hit the most expensive adjacent part... that is usually extremely rare and outrageously expensive.

addendum "Keep a list of all those parts you buy for your truck, but will install at a later date. AND WHERE YOU PUT THEM !!!"

john

Old 11-08-2015, 03:38 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Only one,
Thinking I know, does not make it true.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:44 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
  • Don't keep a Tally of Truck Project Expense... Just don't do it.
  • You will purchase a lot of stuff you'll end up not using
  • When installing Bearings-Crank-Pistons-Rods-Oil Pump and Cam, No Beer / No Radio / No Conversation
  • The various TV Hot Rod Shows where everything happens perfectly the first time is not Reality. Don't compare yourself to them
  • Don't use or re-use, crappy, beat up, hardware. New, Shiny Nuts, Bolts and Washers are cheap and look good.
  • As you age, your expectations for the day gradually exceed what you actually get done.
  • Don't keep flogging or band-aiding work that is clearly in trouble because you busted your butt on it. Sometimes you need to let it go and start over... often more than once.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:48 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2

3. Keep a list of all those parts you buy for your truck, but will install at a later date.

4. You will still forget what you have bought, and end up with at least two of the same new parts.

5. If you are persistent in number 4 above, be content in that eventually, you may have enough parts to build out a second truck.

This is quite true.

And it reminding me of another wisdom nugget:

Never keep track of what you have paid for parts. The hobby is more enjoyable when it isn't about dollars and cents and purchasing blunders.
Think of it as stimulating the economy.

Tom

Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Sorry E-Man!
You were typing at the same time I was!

Old 11-09-2015, 11:38 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 858 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
time... when pressed by a wife or significant other on "When are you gonna finish" or "How much longer is that gonna take"... quickly estimate what you think... then double it... then tell the s.o. 2.5 times that amount... then get your excuse ready when you underestimate by 3.5 times that amount.
And whatever you estimate the cost to be, double it. But tell the wife/SO or whatever, half that. Then get your excuse ready when you underestimate by 3.5 times that amount.

Always try to start with the best vehicle you can afford. Money spent up front will be almost double that saved later.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:41 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Always try to start with the best vehicle you can afford. Money spent up front will be almost double that saved later.
That is a fact. If you can't afford a good starting point then just buy a decent cab that is actually worth the repair effort. Repairing a cab will keep most of us busy for a year or more while saving up for a decent project truck.

Quick Reply: What "Truism's have been revealed in your Gear-head Journey?