?s for Mr. Gary lewis

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 05:41 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?s for Mr. Gary lewis

I put the hei dizzy I n the bronco and gave it a big wire like you said and I put the msd Spring kit in the dizzy. I'm curious if I have the vacuum port unhooked and if I rev the engine and look at the timing marks with a timing light they should change right?? It doesn't move until I hook the vacuum line up and then it jumps to 50ish. It does seem to have better Thottle response and more bottom end to it. I haven't opened it up yet it's raining and I'm a chicken. But when i do go to get on it the engine bogs.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:06 AM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
If the vacuum port is unhooked, the distributor will run whatever you have set for initial timing, and will still pull in the mechanical advance. Mechanical advance only comes in at higher RPM, depending on springs installed, hence the need for vacuum advance.

50 degrees seems really high! I'm no expert, but I'd try 10-12 initial, and 30-32 overall.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:57 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
What the engine timing degrees are often referred to as "total" timing actually means initial + mechanical (for V8 usually 36 to 38 is optimum)

But, that's not counting the additional vacuum advance on top of that - so the actual total timing BTDC out on the highway say, at steady part throttle cruise can absolutely reach 50 degrees.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yep, all are right. My guess is that you may not have revved it enough to get the mechanical to come in, so didn't see it. But, when you hooked up the vacuum you must have connected it to manifold vacuum and that gave the engine an additional shot of RPM, which was enough to start bringing the mechanical advance in.

But, I wouldn't connect the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum. Your carb has a ported vacuum source, which means it isn't "on" at idle but comes in quickly thereafter. That's the one you want to use.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:19 AM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
I recede it pretty high I'd say over 3000 with it all unhooked and nothing. I'll hook it to the ported one.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:21 AM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
I meant I revved it high. And also on a side note. The throttle return spring came loose while driving and the gas pedal got stuck to the floor that was a new experience

Old 10-25-2015, 07:40 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well, perhaps the mechanism was jammed until you hooked up the vacuum, and that freed it up. But, it sounds like it is working now, although you haven't said if you've tried it with no vacuum again.

I'll bet that was a wild ride with the throttle floored. Maybe you should put on two springs?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:04 AM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
What happen was they used one of the carb bolts to hold a bracket to hold the spring and that bracket came loose which let the spring go it's gonna get fixed today. These engines seem to have a lot of torque I hit the brakes and I'm not sure how long they would have held it until they over heated. I'm use to driving 7.3 turbo diesels I have 3 of those right now and that's what I'm use to working on and the torque of these things kinda reminds me of those but not quite as much after the turbo lights up.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:05 AM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
How do you guys listen for knock with loud exhaust? Is there a sensor you can install with a gauge?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:21 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I don't run loud exhaust. But, it might be possible to add a detonation sensor from a later engine, or maybe there's an aftermarket sensor - I don't know. I just run a fairly quiet Magnaflow muffler and listen for pinging - which usually happens long before detonation.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:28 AM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
This bronco came with dual flow masters And they kinda have that raspy sound to begin with.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:41 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
There are Flowmasters that sound reasonable, and there are those you couldn't pay me to run. Some are mellow and some are awful.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:29 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
I drove it with it hooked up to the ported vacuum and it seems to run good. It does have a bog to it. Also I put a 1" carb spacer and now it seems like the trans doesn't shift the same. Is there suppose to be any kinda spring or a return on the kick down linkage?

Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Assuming you have a C6, and you don't have anything in your signature to tell what you have (hint, hint), there's no spring on the kick-down linkage. But, my guess is that you have a vacuum leak around that spacer, and the tranny shifts based on vacuum. So, squirt some brake cleaner around the base of the carb and the spacer. And, that could account for the bog as well.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:31 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
I'll try and work on my signature. I use a app on my phone and it won't let me update the profile and my wife keeps the lap top. I'll check for a vacuum leak. But I figured since I raised the carb an inch it might have threw the linkage out of wack

Quick Reply: ?s for Mr. Gary lewis