Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 05:24 AM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle Shaft Sadness

Happy Friday Gentleman,

Well not to much sadness just looking for a bunch of $.02

Came home from overseas and the truck was having some major issues in the front. Hit a bump and it there would be violent vibration in the front end. Turned out the axle shaft was bouncing around. Check the locking hub and sure enough I couldn't even turn it (ordered Warns, waiting for them to get in).

When I pulled the locker off it was coated in grease (see attached visual aid), so I assumed it came from the bearing. Got the hub assembly off last night and sure enough there is nothing left of the bearing. There are absolutely no signs that it was ever a needle bearing. Assuming it locked up (while assuming the hubs were locked) and that axle shaft continued to spin and wam bam essentially welded it or something along those lines.

Here is my concern. Where the bearing sits on the axle shaft there is now a "groove" there. Not really visible with the naked eye but you can feel it. It appears to be nominal but without a digital caliper and I cant say how serious it is.

Would you:
A- Just roll with it and don't worry about
or
B- Buy a new axleshaft

Thanks for your time guys.

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2015, 06:38 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was expecting to see a pic of the axle shaft damage, so I can't make a call at this point. Reusing the shaft would be dependent on how well it fits in the new needle bearing.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
I can take a pic of it when I get home tonight. Like I said it is nominal. Picture to follow later on.

Ill slide the new bearing on and see how she fits.

Thank you.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I am presuming we are talking about the stub axle (from the wheel to the first u-joint) if that is the case then you can buy just the stub axle and not an entire front axle assembly, people have had issues in the past with dealerships and parts warehouses saying that the only option is to buy an entire assembly. Just wanted to make you aware if this is a road you need to go down.

Also, when you put your warn locking hubs in there it will be a good idea to remove the rubber vacuum hose that ties into the knuckle and plug both ends that are left over. These hoses degrade over time and can allow moisture into your entire hub assembly which in turn leads to a premature demise of your hub assembly. Once you put manual lockers on there the hose is rendered useless anyway.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
Rikster,

Correct, talking about the stub axle. Thank you for bringing that up.

Good info about the vacuum line. I will be sure to do that. Anything particular to plug them?

Appreciate it!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I got my Stub axle replacements Here. I think they had them on Amazon for a similar price also.

As far as plugging the lines I got some tubing plugs from one of the parts store. will see if I can find what size they were. I also squirted a little RTV in the holes before I placed the plug over it, just to make sure.

If you do end up changing the Stub axles you will also need to buy a new set of knuckle seals and may as well change the outer axle tube seals also.
You will need to buy (or make, search the forum for it) a knuckle seal driver in order to get that new knuckle seal installed.

As far as replacement hub assemblies, Timken is the way to go (I believe I got mine on amazon with the free prime shipping, but Autozone sells them too). Some, myself included, have tried the cheaper, parts house hub assemblies in the past only to be let down by the quality and longevity of these. Do it once and do it right is the way to go on this!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
Awesome! Thank you for all the links. I did the whole front end at 127,000 miles and she has 166,000 on her now. Thinking back I know I didn't replace the axle shaft bearing, I'm almost positive I just packed it with grease, or its possible I didn't and that's why I am dealing with it now.

Tubing plugs and RTV, easy day.

Thanks again!