6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

High pressure fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:35 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That would depend on the shop, and/or the dealer. There's a local shop out here where I live that the Ford dealer sends stuff to on occasion because they can't figure out how to fix the issues. They are also an Authorized Ford Repair shop, so that is certainly in their favor too. But there are also other independent shops that I wouldn't want them to touch any of my diesel trucks, or even change the oil in my lawn mowers!

Old 11-22-2015, 04:35 PM
langballs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had any experience posting pics yet but to answer the question about metal in the filter it is because the return fuel from the hpfp goes back through the filter housing and then back to the fuel tank. Some of the fuel is filtered again and the rest goes back to the tank through an orifice. Search 6.4 powerstroke fuel system diagram.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by langballs
I haven't had any experience posting pics yet but to answer the question about metal in the filter it is because the return fuel from the hpfp goes back through the filter housing and then back to the fuel tank. Some of the fuel is filtered again and the rest goes back to the tank through an orifice. Search 6.4 powerstroke fuel system diagram.

That's what I'm saying , wont the filters eventually get the shavings?
My truck still runs and starts , how is that if the HPFP is gone?

Old 11-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

Vinford. When my truck crapped out I bought a Bosch 1300 scan tool. 285.00 at Oriely's. It has the capability to read fuel pressure. Mine of course reads 0 but if yours is running I would think you could plug in a tool like this one and read pressure at idle and WOT and check against published specs. If its good it is good. As for the metal, Tanks drop easy. clean them out. Ford also Has a debris test to determine if there are particles in the rail. Clean rail no problem. But it is your truck. As for mine it will get the prescribed repair IF ins. agrees. If they don't then My bet is I can repair this truck myself for mucho menos dinero.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:41 PM
langballs
Junior User
The shavings could be just the tip of the iceberg. If that metal is in the filter it will be headed out to the rails to the injectors. Sure it starts and runs now. The more you run it however the more damage that will occur. Did you personally see the metal in the filters or did the shop say there was?

Old 11-22-2015, 06:28 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by langballs
The shavings could be just the tip of the iceberg. If that metal is in the filter it will be headed out to the rails to the injectors. Sure it starts and runs now. The more you run it however the more damage that will occur. Did you personally see the metal in the filters or did the shop say there was?

I didn't see it myself they just said it was there.

What damage is it going to cause ? If it already needs 10G worth of work how much more can it cause?

Old 11-22-2015, 06:42 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
A hung injector from the metal shavings which will lead to a melted piston then a new shortblock. That is usually the route of progression. That is if you have metal in the rails.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by UGA33
A hung injector from the metal shavings which will lead to a melted piston then a new shortblock. That is usually the route of progression. That is if you have metal in the rails.

Thanks that's the info I was looking for.
I think I'm going to tow it home and think on it awhile I can get by without it for a few months.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:02 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

I definitely wouldn't push it if there is a chance metal is floating around in the fuel rails. Best way to know is crack a HP line and see if you have metal in the fuel.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by UGA33
I definitely wouldn't push it if there is a chance metal is floating around in the fuel rails. Best way to know is crack a HP line and see if you have metal in the fuel.

The metal is easily seen?
If there's that much metal how can the pump still work , that's what I don't understand?
Either the pump is gone or it isn't gone?
I've never seen any kind of pump kind of going they usually are gone or ok?

Old 11-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

That would be the debris test I mentioned. What they do is disconnect a/or several of the feed tubes to the injectors and direct them into a coffee filter then inspect the coffee filter under a strong light.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Well I drug her home today, just going to scrap it I think.
I owe more on it than its worth cant see spending another 10G on it.
Its a shame its a nice truck.

Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2015, 07:19 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

I hate to see that. Those 450s with the factory 19.5s are beautiful.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:47 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinford
Well I drug her home today, just going to scrap it I think.
I owe more on it than its worth cant see spending another 10G on it.
Its a shame its a nice truck.

check this listing out and let me know what you think...I would buy one as a spare..but they need a core turn in

http://www.xtremediesel.com/Ford-8C3...FRAWHwodcjcEXw

Old 11-25-2015, 04:43 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I was out at my buddies shop today and he has replaced the entire fuel system on only 1 6.4psd. He said they've replaced 5 HPFP's on trucks that had bad ones. He said they flush the fuel system, and yes, an injector or 2 may also need to be replaced. But, as he said, there's no reason to replace the entire system if you flush it out, and replace the damaged part. Ford won't do that. He said he's had no problems with the 5 yet. Those were customers trucks, and none have been back with HPFP issues.

Quick Reply: High pressure fuel pump