Sponsored by:

How to wire in a rear defroster

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:48 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
How to wire in a rear defroster

Hello all,

I'm replacing the rear glass in my '81 with defroster glass. It didn't come with it originally, so I don't know what wiring may or may not be present. There obviously isn't a switch up front.

Does anyone have any info on how to wire one in? Can I just use any defroster switch, such as this one?

Or does it need to be the stock one?

Any tips, guidance, advice anyone can give?

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:13 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a factory switch if you want to buy one, I pulled it from the gray 86 in my build thread. No idea how to wire it in though. PM me if interested.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:44 AM
AbandonedBronco
So, I took a trip to visit my brother last weekend (about 150 miles away) and we parked our Broncos side by side. He has a rear defroster and I do not. I was able to see what all he had and what I was missing.

By the looks of it, the wiring plug to plug into the defroster switch is present on my Bronco. So, all I need to do is attach the stock defroster switch to the dash and plug it in.

However, he has a much larger brick of wires going into the tailgate. I only have 2 wires, whereas he has all the ones for the defroster. So, I will need to see how far the wires up front go before stopping. My guess is that it goes to the fuse box and then stops.

If that's the case, I'll need to run a wire from wherever the power ends to the back of the bronco and solder it onto the window. The window has two prongs on it, so from what I can tell, one goes to a ground, and the other to the power source. Shouldn't be overly complicated.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:52 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably can buy a factory pigtail from a source. Dont know who but they are most likely out there.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:53 AM
vroma
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
So, I took a trip to visit my brother last weekend (about 150 miles away) and we parked our Broncos side by side. He has a rear defroster and I do not. I was able to see what all he had and what I was missing.

By the looks of it, the wiring plug to plug into the defroster switch is present on my Bronco. So, all I need to do is attach the stock defroster switch to the dash and plug it in.

However, he has a much larger brick of wires going into the tailgate. I only have 2 wires, whereas he has all the ones for the defroster. So, I will need to see how far the wires up front go before stopping. My guess is that it goes to the fuse box and then stops.

If that's the case, I'll need to run a wire from wherever the power ends to the back of the bronco and solder it onto the window. The window has two prongs on it, so from what I can tell, one goes to a ground, and the other to the power source. Shouldn't be overly complicated.
did you have any luck fixing this?

Old 09-13-2018, 06:54 AM
AbandonedBronco
Well... Yes and no.
The vehicle was totaled, so I never got to finish it. But, I got another Bronco and it has defrost.
So, I didn't end up adding defrost myself.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:37 AM
vroma
Senior User
Well... Yes and no.
The vehicle was totaled, so I never got to finish it. But, I got another Bronco and it has defrost.
So, I didn't end up adding defrost myself.
Damn, I assume whoever was involved survived safe and healthy from the accident. That said, sorry to hear about that tragedy (the loss of a Bronco).

I started a thread elsewhere on this forum about this topic (before I saw your thread above) and I have yet to find a solution or receive a response that helps.
In parts, I have the switch and tailgate parts but nothing connecting them together. I think I’ve seen a multi-wire harness that runs along the length of the truck along the left frame rail from the cab to the taillights, and I think one of these wires powers the defroster but without the dash switch connection, I’m at a loss.

Is there any chance you could take photos of your defroster cable that connects to the dashboard switch?

Old 09-14-2018, 03:13 PM
AbandonedBronco
Thanks for asking. No one was seriously injured. I had a month or two of physical therapy to loosen my neck muscles that spasmed, but that was about it. The Bronco did its job.
Going to miss it though!!

I'll try to remember to get a picture of the defroster cable where it attaches to the switch tonight.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:45 PM
vroma
Senior User
Thanks for asking. No one was seriously injured. I had a month or two of physical therapy to loosen my neck muscles that spasmed, but that was about it. The Bronco did its job.
Going to miss it though!!

I'll try to remember to get a picture of the defroster cable where it attaches to the switch tonight.
I can just image... back then crash zones meant the whole vehicle.

Thanks for the photos.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:03 AM
AbandonedBronco
In this case, it was the rear corner. The car was lower, so they went underneath. The frame was okay, just so much damage to so many different panels of the vehicle that it would have cost a fortune to get it back in fighting shape.

Here's the defroster plug for ya

Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 AM
vroma
Senior User
In this case, it was the rear corner. The car was lower, so they went underneath. The frame was okay, just so much damage to so many different panels of the vehicle that it would have cost a fortune to get it back in fighting shape.

Here's the defroster plug for ya

Thanks, AbandonedBronco.
Well, I’m certainly missing that wire harness!
Fixing this should be fun.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 AM
AbandonedBronco
Thinking back to when I was looking into tackling this project, the defroster was the only thing that seems like it's not included in the default wiring harness. Most everything else, even if the truck didn't come equipped with it, has the wiring available. Not sure why the defroster doesn't.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:35 AM
vroma
Senior User
Thinking back to when I was looking into tackling this project, the defroster was the only thing that seems like it's not included in the default wiring harness. Most everything else, even if the truck didn't come equipped with it, has the wiring available. Not sure why the defroster doesn't.
So I should be able to plug in a harness?