1999.5 F350 Diesel Lost Power - Fuse Panel Under Steering Wheel Shorting Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:47 PM
conradg_7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999.5 F350 Diesel Lost Power - Fuse Panel Under Steering Wheel Shorting Out

Hello Everyone I need some help,

So I have a 1999 F350 diesel and the fuse panel under the steering wheel is acting up. I was driving my truck home the other night and I lost power and my truck shut off. I have had a problem in the past with the #30- 30 amp fuse ( controls the PCM and glow plugs from my understanding) that is under the steering wheel, I replaced the fuse and everything started working normally again. Until the other night when my truck shut off, so I replaced the fuse the truck drove again for 20 feet died again, I was able to hold the #30 fuse and allow my truck to start up again but would eventually killed the PCM and shut off again and would not start up due to what I believe the fuse location shorting it out and killing the power to the PCM preventing me from starting it up again. I had my truck towed home and charged the battery and it started up fine the next morning. If I push on the #30 fuse my truck the shorts out and kills the power, I do not know if this is normal? The fuse is sitting loose in the fuse holder is there anyway making it fit tighter to prevent it from being so loose? I have read every other post online about the problems and tried everything they have recommended but still can not figure out what was wrong with my truck. I disconnected the fuel filter heater, and also the wastegate solenoid to see if that would prevent the truck from shorting out if I pushed the fuse it did not work.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be causing the #30 - 30 amp fuse to be shorting out preventing everything from working? Or does anyone know how to test the fuse panel and all the relays? Or any other ideas?

Or is anyone selling a 1999.5 F350 Fuse panel used, as I have read that they do not sell brand new ones?

Thank you very much, I appreciate everyone's help

Conrad

Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibly a water leak onto the fuse panel. Was it raining? You may have to pull the fuse panel and see if you see any problems.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Conrad,

If the fuse holder is wiggle loose and your not the original "wiggler" I think someone had a problem with the fuel bowl heater and there's your baby.

Get up into your panel after you pull both positives off and take a very fine 90 angle pick and if you can slightly!!!!!! pull the pulse sleeves down just gingerly.

It can be done. However, you can also sleeve your fuse for a tighter fit. (You went thru high school right).

On the proactive side of defining what is going on, your fuel bowl is unplugged (and dry and well guarded against moisture right?) ( even unplugged, a drop of oil or rain will kick that fuse).

Expand on other mods or problems in the recent past.

Denny

Old 11-03-2015, 09:36 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Forgot to add.

Chase the wire from the fuel bowl heater and I think you'll find the leak. If that fuse holder is that fricked up.........someone before you threw they're hands in the air.

Everyone says, "just unplug this and live well" I'm thinking not in this case. Chase that wire and see if it's not grounded out somewhere in the loom.

Post more, we'll get this.

Denny

Old 11-03-2015, 09:44 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Conrad,

Sorry....pull your fuse panel and reseat your spades in that fuse block. Insert your fuse before you reinstall and make sure to start the truck before you bolt it back in. I'm thinking (still) the previous owner wedged a conductor in that panel and pushed your spades out the back of the box.

It's an easy gig. Just check it please.

Denny

Old 11-04-2015, 10:21 PM
conradg_7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tdpower- Yes, I ended up reading about that problem. I have not had any problems, and have removed the panel and doesn't appear that there has been any leaking.

DieselDenny - Thank you very much for all the info. little confused with how to sleeve the fuse, I understand sleeving it would make it tighter and better fitting but I googled and asked at the parts store they did not know what to do? I have the panel currently removed I am working late tomorrow and Friday so I will not be able to look for a loose wire. I will also try tracking down to see if there is a loose wire from the fuel filter or a bad ground. On another note, I bought the truck 2 years ago from a heavy duty mechanic.... I have had to fix multiple things that he just pieced together to make the truck work instead of using the actual parts but nothing to bad!

The truck is basically stock, it has an exhaust brake that was installed from BD diesel which stopped working one month ago somethign to do with the pressure I just need to recalibrate it. And the EDGE chip, besides that all regular maintenance has been done.

Thank you again for all the help.