1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dirt, Gravel, or Slag Floor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:46 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Dirt, Gravel, or Slag Floor?

I store my truck under a "lean to" that is attached to the side of my workshop in my back yard. It currently has two open ends (to drive straight through), two walls, a roof, and a dirt floor. I would like to do something with the floor.

I am trying to decide between keeping a dirt floor, a gravel floor, or a slag floor. Which do you think is best for vehicle storage and why?

Old 11-02-2015, 03:59 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't know much about slag except as blasting media.
What are the advantages as a road bed or ground cover?

This question might get more traction in the garage and workshop forum.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:08 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Thanks for the tip, Chief. I will do that.

I didn't even know this site had a garage and workshop forum.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:14 PM
nosehair
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of dirt/soil do you have?

Old 11-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Gravel,or Slag would be better than dirt. If you could swing it, concrete would best.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:28 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I would think item-4 or some other stone meant for compaction.
Even if it won't see rain it will wash clean and only gets more solid as it compacts.
'Gravel' as a graded size is just like a bucket of marbles and will never stop moving.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:36 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Gravel,or Slag would be better than dirt. If you could swing it, concrete would best.
But doesn't concrete sweat, creating more moisture?

Old 11-02-2015, 04:42 PM
nosehair
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...If it is high in clay, i would suggest tilling about 1/2" directly under you truck with either gypsum or sand to create a more permeable layer with a clay catchment underneath. You can tamp that down to give you a firm surface, then top off the whole thing with a good layer of gravel.

This will prevent any drips from migrating to other areas of your property and aide in keeping water out with a slightly higher than grade build up.

Also, not sure what building code looks like near you, but if the material is permeable, such as gravel vs. concrete, there is typically no issue with impervious cover rules.

If you are referring to slag bi-product, I would stay away from that stuff. It is typically full of whatever media it was used for and the finer material will not provide better draining than a larger sized gravel.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Concrete or asphalt. Both will stop the ground moisture from coming up

Noe of your other options will stop the moisture

Old 11-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
The biggest problem that will ruin a any vehicle sitting around is mice. Make sure you put some poison out or some other method.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:46 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
My first question is. where do you live? (Why haven't you filled out that portion of your profile yet? It's something like Location in the third pane of some settings page in your User CP).

Back to your weather... does it snow and freeze? Rain a lot and make mud? That kind of stuff I would think would dictate what you'd want to go with...

Old 11-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
The biggest problem that will ruin a any vehicle sitting around is mice. Make sure you put some poison out or some other method.

Dryer sheets in the cab and under hood work Very well(then they dont store the poison in your hearer box)

Old 11-02-2015, 09:50 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Concrete or asphalt. Both will stop the ground moisture from coming up

Noe of your other options will stop the moisture
Not trying to argue with you, but on real humid days, my carport has a concrete floor and it will stay visibly wet all day sometimes. My lean to has a dirt floor and it doesn't "feel" wet at all on those days.

Am I wrong?

Originally Posted by Franklin2
I keep poison out, plus I have my house and shop sprayed every few months, so that is covered. I drive my truck at least once or twice a week, but it sits the rest of the time. I don't want it to rust from underneath because of where it is parked.

Originally Posted by ctubutis
My first question is. where do you live? (Why haven't you filled out that portion of your profile yet? It's something like Location in the third pane of some settings page in your User CP).

Back to your weather... does it snow and freeze? Rain a lot and make mud? That kind of stuff I would think would dictate what you'd want to go with...
I just checked, and it is filled out? I am in South Carolina, where we have brutal, humid summers and mild winters. The floor is covered by the roof, so the ground stays dry unless the wind blows the rain in. I have no idea what kind of soil I have, but it is somewhat sandy, and it usually feels dry, even when it has been raining for days.

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Dryer sheets in the cab and under hood work Very well(then they dont store the poison in your hearer box)
Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-02-2015, 10:05 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont know what you are calling slag. However, when talking about gravel you have class A (which is washed rock or marbles like Jim said) and you have crusher run (which is marbles with soot, fly ash and smaller aggregate mixed in). Crusher run packs really well. Class A just rolls around and wont stay put. They can be purchased in sizes anywhere from 3/4"-3".Then you have screenings. Screenings are 3/8 or smaller chips with fly ash and soot. It will pack like concrete over the years if it is driven on and wet down frequently. The products with the fly ash will get crap in your truck every time you walk on it and get in though.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:23 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I guess item #4 is a local term stemming from a NY State DOT spec "Item 304 .12" for road base.

Around here we use the 3/4 and under bluestone for driveways and parking areas.
The sharper angles of bluestone seem to 'lock' and stay put better.
If you use a plate compactor in no more than 6" lifts it gets very stable.
Build it up a bit above grade if your soil is slick so it doesn't silt in.

http://www.redwingsandandgravel.com/runofbank.html

Quick Reply: Dirt, Gravel, or Slag Floor?