1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

O. T. Compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:11 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I'm having the first of three estimates to upgrade the electric tomorrow. I have no idea how much it will be, but it's worth finding out.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
One thing that has not been mentioned, and is an avenue worth exploring when setting up your garage/wiring/service/equipment, is to consider foregoing the single phase world, and stepping up to three phase.

I've looked into that in several locations and it seems like it's mostly the industrial areas of towns that have 3ph available, and usually at 480v. Even then, if they have to provide a transformer, you get locked into a minimum kWh that is not in the "hobby" realm.

Another way to provide 3ph is with an Adjustable Frequency Drive. A lot simpler and cheaper than a rotary converter, thanks to electronics. Still not cheap tho.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 AM
fordf5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made my own rotary 3- phase converter about 20+ years ago.
Still works great. I can run a mill, tool grinder, surface grinder, and a radial arm saw with it.
Look on you-tube under how to make a rotary 3-phase converter. there are many threads on this.
I just know that it works great for me.
probably not the best solution for a compressor but it does work for me.
Roger
And if you try this be very careful as you are dealing with electricity.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I've looked into that in several locations and it seems like it's mostly the industrial areas of towns that have 3ph available, and usually at 480v. Even then, if they have to provide a transformer, you get locked into a minimum kWh that is not in the "hobby" realm.

Another way to provide 3ph is with an Adjustable Frequency Drive. A lot simpler and cheaper than a rotary converter, thanks to electronics. Still not cheap tho.
It is true that some locales have minimum usage requirements, and limited voltages available. That said, I think investigation is worth the time. In Indiana (most places any way), 230 3ph is readily available in most cities of any size, and over the last 15 years or so, has worked its way into the smaller 'burgs.

Then again, Indiana is not a severely regulated state, and much of the trouble and cost has to do with local and state regulatory regimes, not with the electrical companies per se. I have read about some real horror stories on the Practical Machinist forums of folks trying to set up a small shop in places such as New York, California, and the north east.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:34 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Hi guys,
Dragged this thread up because I'm going to be able to get the power upgrade for the garage. It took the utility 3 months to decide they could tap into the line on my property and set up a dedicated meter and 200 amp service !
So now, after reading this thread again, there were a couple suggestions for compressors, but anyone have any suggestions for specific models ? Also, could someone explain to me the difference in "phases" in motors. I read that in this thread and I really don't know what it means, single etc.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Dean

Old 03-04-2016, 04:46 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Probably you have single phase service. So, in your case a single phase, 220 volt compressor. Breaker size depends upon the compressor. If you think you might want to do some sand blasting I'd recommend a 2 stage compressor (or get one anyway). Friend bought one (Ingersol-Rand) from Tractor Supply for around $1100. Said he should have done it long ago.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:57 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
That's what I meant to ask, the difference in stages, single, two ?

Old 03-04-2016, 05:11 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Don't know the technicalities but 2 stage recovers faster than single and has more of a constant air pressure.
This is what a friend bought
Ingersoll Rand 5HP Air Compressor, 80 gal. - For Life Out Here
Think I might try to get one to replace my 5HP CH 60 gal comp.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:24 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Also, could someone explain to me the difference in "phases" in motors. I read that in this thread and I really don't know what it means, single etc.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Dean
Here is a simple video that explains single phase vs three phase:

In my experience three phase equipment is much more expensive because of more material and not as many units built so there isn't as much commercial competition for the equipment. Also the power installation is more expensive if for no other reason than there are more wires.

Stay away from 480v three phase as it is very dangerous and requires very special equipment and professional installation.

For shop equipment 220v single phase works great for most of us.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:37 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I dealt with 4160 VAC 3ø power on a daily basis for years. 3ø power is very economical and fairly easy to set up, just be sure to check motor rotation. That being said, it's usually not available in residential areas. The two phase 208-240 VAC power (commonly referred to as single phase) is most common everywhere. Three phase converters, MG sets, etc. require additional power to operate. There is always a current loss. My two cents worth is to get a standard 5 HP single phase two stage unit. This will require a circuit rated for 30 amps @ 220 VAC and a 25 amp breaker. The two stage compressor pump actually compresses the air twice (large cylinder and smaller cylinder) the air passes through an intercooler between the low and high pressure cylinders to keep air density to a minimum. If a two stage air compressor pump does not have some type of intercooler, stay away from it.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:04 AM
benbuilder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I AM USUALLY IN THE 73-79 FOUMS, BUT NEED TO BUY A COMPRESSOR FOR SANDBLASING SOME OLD RADIATORS. I WILL BE DOING IN A BOOTH I MADE AT THE JOB SITE. I THINK I AM IN GOOD SHAPE WITH WHAT I NEED. I HAVE A SMALL 15 GALLON POT FOR THE SAND AND AM LOOKING FOR A USED COMPRESSOR. I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE MINE OUT OF THE SHOP IT IS UP SO HIGH. I FIGURE ON BUYING ONE, USING IT, THEN SELLING IT. MY QUESTION IS, WILL A 60 GALLON COMPRESSOR WORK OR DO I NEED AN 80? I AM DOING 5 RADIATORS THAT ARE ABOUT 4 FEET LONG BY 3 FEET HIGH. tHANKS

Old 03-06-2016, 11:38 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
60 gal 2 stage should work, just take longer.

Generally speaking, you can daisy chain all the tanks you want, but if the pump can't keep up, it ain't worth the effort. Which is why you see bigger motors on bigger tanks, smaller motors on smaller tanks. What I would do, is convert the 20 gallon into a portable air tank. Many times I wish I had a bigger than 5 gallon air tank for bringing out to the backyard to air up a couple tires.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:42 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
When you say radiators I assume that you mean cast iron for your house? Rather than buy and sell an air compressor why not just rent one. A small trailer mounted unit should supply all the air that you need. Sandblasting really requires lots of air. That has to be a lot cheaper.

Better yet take them out and have them done professionally. I got ones done for my house for about $20 each. I did it both ways and by the time you buy hoses, media, nozzles, helmets, etc. you are a lot better off letting someone else do it. Those old radiators really bake on the old paint into a hard shell.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:02 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Is it possible to install a pedestal somewhere and route the shop electric separate from the house? Where I live, county ordinance requires all new construction to get a pedestal. Here's pics of mine. Notice 4 conduits, two for the house (off-peak meter for the in-floor heat), one for the garage. Plus your inlet from the transformer. Might cost more up front, but in the long run, it might help? You can get 200amp service this way to the shop, without fear of the house not handling it.

Attached Images   
Old 03-06-2016, 12:07 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
He asking about the difference between a 1 stage and 2 stage compressor, not single and three phase power, he corrected himself.

In a nut shell, single stage compresses the air once and is limited in its pressure output and volume output, 2 stage compresses air twice to produce more pressure and volume. If you use any high CFM (cubic feet per minute) tools, e.g. air body tools, sand blaster, etc you will want a two stage compressor.

I have a Quincy (American made) and could not be happier.

Quick Reply: O. T. Compressor question