Excursion insurance cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Ex man
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion insurance cost

Hey fellas,
I just got my new ex and so far so good as far as ownership experience.

I'm curious as to what the going rate to insure this beast is. I have an 2003 excursion with a v10, 4 wd insured in long island NY. I live in a decent middle class neighborhood where its pretty low crime.

My insurance broker gave me a quote of $1875 per year. That's with full coverage with collision. Glass. 100/300k. It's just used on the weekend for personal use and family trips.

Too me it seems very high for a twelve year old car, I have four other cars with them on the policy.

Please post your rate and company and coverage amounts . I need to bail on this broker as I fell she has been fleecing me for years on my other car premiums. Time to save some money.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:19 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ex man
Hey fellas,

I'm curious as to what the going rate to insure this beast is. I have an 2003 excursion with a v10, 4 wd insured in long island NY. I live in a decent middle class neighborhood where its pretty low crime.

My insurance broker gave me a quote of $1875 per year. That's with full coverage with collision. Glass. 100/300k. It's just used on the weekend for personal use and family trips.

Too me it seems very high for a twelve year old car, I have four other cars with them on the policy.

Please post your rate and company and coverage amounts . I need to bail on this broker as I fell she has been fleecing me for years on my other car premiums. Time to save some money.

To many variables for me to give you any useable info BUT I can give you the name & # of my Liberty Mutual agent & can almost guarantee she will save you some jack.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:22 PM
devovino
Senior User
Hey fellas,

I can chime in on this one since I just went through this same thing, I have been insured with Progresive the last 5 years and my premiums have always been higher than my wifes (almost by double) just one car and a boat (seasonally) my wife wanted separate policies since I used to be crazy and she did not want it effecting her rates...

I was paying about 90.00 mo. for that time for just my Audi (over 1000/yr.) I was quoted 155.00 mo by Progressive for the excursion in addition to my other car, which is pretty insane - over 2400/yr. two vehicles--- GTFO of here!!! No accidents for me in over 20yrs, and no tickets in 5 yrs.....

So, my wife and I put all our vehicles on our policy for our Homeowner insurance with Enumclaw Insurance. 2 trucks, 2 cars, Home, boat and it ended up being less than half of what I was quoted by Progressive, just over 1000/ yr.... I just added my RV to the same policy- 64.00/yr. Full coverage on the EX and a low deductible. Needless to say, we should have done this 5 years ago!

Hope that rambling helps out some?!

Old 11-02-2015, 12:47 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have 4 vehicles. The Excursion is the most valuable and the only one with comprehensive. $920 covers the Excursion.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I have been told multiple times that if you don't shop around every 3 years for insurance, you are overpaying. We have had State Farm for almost 6 years now but have had to compare quotes with them a few times and threaten to leave if the rate was not lowered.

I do not know all the details on the policy but I can give you the 30k foot view....

03 Excursion, 10 Outback, 00 Grand Cherokee.

Outback full coverage with $0 deductible
Ex everything but collision with $0 deductible
Jeep liability only
2015 33' Travel Trailer with whatever the basic policy is on those
$20k Renter's policy to cover some of the larger items in our home (Yes I rent, its easier, don't judge)
$100k Life Insurance on my wife
Separate Policy to cover the wife's wedding band as well as my firearms...totaling about $10K

We pay $256 a month for everything. You have to take into account where we live....the middle of nowhere, that plays a huge roll in the cost. When we lived in Dallas with just the Outback, Jeep, and my Buell and nothing else; we were paying within $50 of the same price.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Ex man
New User
Thanks for the replies so far

I just wanted to add that I have. A 500 dollar deductible as well.

If I can find a spot where I can switch all the cars I would.
I just got a quote from a local broker, and they quoted me 2800 which is insane.
I have no accidents or speeding tickets and Im a dinosaur.
I don't get it why this insurance is so freaking high for this truck.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
I'm in Staten Island and my insurance is roughly the same as you were quoted. No tickets or accidents either.

I guess it's because insurance companies don't consider these trucks "safe" since they were excused from emissions and crash testing that regular cars have to go though. Just my thoughts...

Old 11-02-2015, 04:31 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru

I just got a quote from a local broker, and they quoted me 2800 which is insane.

You have close to 8000lb's of steel rolling 70 MPH down the highway with the possibility of it coming to rest into a 1500Lb plastic econo box. The liability of injury to others is high.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:51 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm in Brooklyn, NY.

I think my deductible is $500, no collision though. I'm paying $540 for 6 months or just under $1,100 for the year. With collision it was about $660 for 6 months ($1,320 ) for the year. There's a good bit of crime and accidents in NYC so I would think that out in LI it should be cheaper. Only thing I can say is that I'm with Geico for a while, over 10 years, so that may have something to do with it. I don't like them though, I've had numerous issues with their coverage. But its cheap for NYC so.....

Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Ex man
New User
Well 1320 is pretty big savings from my rate of almost 1900

Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well 1320 is pretty big savings from my rate of almost 1900
Yup. I think you should shop around. Try all the major insurance companies. If you feel the broker has been making money off you then go straight to the insurance company and cut out the middleman. Or do what devovino did and put it on your homeowners insurance if you own a home.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Your age & location play a big part in the insurance game. Your smart to have
at least a $500.00 deductible. Try western national insurance if available there.
We pay $1,200 a year for full coverage on my 05 excursion, wife's 10 escape
and liability on 2 other cars We live in the midwest and we wont be flooded out.
Keep on shopping and getting quotes, good luck.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cars are all with Gieco my deductibles are set at 1K. I pay somewhere around $1800 per year for Ex, that includes a custom rider that shows $8,000 in accessories. (designed for total loss).

Edit: I just pulled up my last renewal it shows $674 for 6 months, so not as bad as I thought BTW the Range Rover is cheaper to insure.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
In Houston, single 30 year old, driving 20k a year with several speeding tickets, $500 collision and $50 comprehensive (I go through windshields from road debris like crazy) is $135 a month. That includes $4000 coverage for customizations and accessories, all through Geico.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
One thing you can do is remove the comprehensive portion of the coverage and self insure.

Another idea for others reading this is call up your broker and ask for a quote on a vehicle, before you pull the trigger and buy it. Costs of maintenance and insurance is part of the deal.

As others have mentioned everything factors in - your zip code, driving record, how long you've lived at a location. Even credit rating. For whatever reason those with bad credit and repos and such get into more accidents than those with good credit, and make more claims.

So the ins people give those who keep their nose clean a discount. Keep that in mind the next time some politician starts talking their usual BS about those "greedy" insurance companies.

Sent from a pay phone

Quick Reply: Excursion insurance cost