1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

No Start unless Check engine light is on. then it starts rough

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 03:48 PM
stumper1620
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start unless Check engine light is on. then it starts rough

I pulled the motor out of my 02 SD 250 and replaced the oil pan, exhaust manifolds and up pipes. plus a few other things while it was out.
I reinstalled it and now it wont start unless the check engine light is on and it is default mode. If the light is on it starts and runs slightly rough. haven't tried it on the road because it wont stay running that long. it runs for about 3 minutes and the light goes out and the truck dies. cycle the key and sometimes the light stays on and it restarts other times the light don't come on and it wont fire at all.
I pulled the right valve cover today and did the quarter in the harness plug. but, that did not help with the light issue.
Subbing out the Cam sensor didn't seem to help at all and it don't seem to be any sensors that I pull the plugs on.
I went out and bough a scanner that was supposed to be able to communicate with the engine control. But, it wouldn't and said no codes present. So, either I hit this on a guess or I get a tow to the dealer 30 miles away in the next day or so....
Any ideas??????

Old 11-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by stumper1620
I pulled the motor out of my 02 SD 250 and replaced the oil pan, exhaust manifolds and up pipes. plus a few other things while it was out.
I reinstalled it and now it wont start unless the check engine light is on and it is default mode. If the light is on it starts and runs slightly rough. haven't tried it on the road because it wont stay running that long. it runs for about 3 minutes and the light goes out and the truck dies. cycle the key and sometimes the light stays on and it restarts other times the light don't come on and it wont fire at all.
I pulled the right valve cover today and did the quarter in the harness plug. but, that did not help with the light issue.
Subbing out the Cam sensor didn't seem to help at all and it don't seem to be any sensors that I pull the plugs on.
I went out and bough a scanner that was supposed to be able to communicate with the engine control. But, it wouldn't and said no codes present. So, either I hit this on a guess or I get a tow to the dealer 30 miles away in the next day or so....
Any ideas??????

You have the wrong scanner to start out with . Is the C Case full of oil ?

Everything plugged in ?..The engine has been upside down , It may just take a good bit of time to get all the air our of the oil & fuel ..

Old 11-01-2015, 08:38 PM
stumper1620
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Action4478
You have the wrong scanner to start out with . Is the C Case full of oil ?

Everything plugged in ?..The engine has been upside down , It may just take a good bit of time to get all the air our of the oil & fuel ..
Thanks Rick.
I took the scanner back as soon as I found it wouldn't communicate.
Now I am just trying to find anything that could be causing this.
All fluids are full and the HPOP is full. Totally baffled why it is doing this.
I need a scanner but, don't have one or know anyone that does. the shop I used to work at is 60 miles away and I can't just go borrow the scanner for a day and its too damn far to tow or take a chance driving even to the closest shop.
I can't believe this can be anything big. It was all fine when I pulled it and I was very particular when it went back in.
I took it for a short ride on the road. It got up to speed but, I was leaving a smoke screen behind me that James Bond would be proud of. All diesel smoke. not oil.

I also see I got this on the wrong forum.
If a mod could move this thread to the 99 and up I would appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by stumper1620
Thanks Rick.
I took the scanner back as soon as I found it wouldn't communicate.
Now I am just trying to find anything that could be causing this.
All fluids are full and the HPOP is full. Totally baffled why it is doing this.
I need a scanner but, don't have one or know anyone that does. the shop I used to work at is 60 miles away and I can't just go borrow the scanner for a day and its too damn far to tow or take a chance driving even to the closest shop.
I can't believe this can be anything big. It was all fine when I pulled it and I was very particular when it went back in.
I took it for a short ride on the road. It got up to speed but, I was leaving a smoke screen behind me that James Bond would be proud of. All diesel smoke. not oil.

I also see I got this on the wrong forum.
If a mod could move this thread to the 99 and up I would appreciate it.
Keep running it . Make sure the GPR is working.

You can stay here if you like . A lot of good guys here.