Sponsored by: Moser

how many different vacumm booster for 79 f250

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:32 AM
winginit
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how many different vacumm booster for 79 f250

The booster i have has the eye bend down, i was told this is for Cruise control ,i don`t have cruise, and the eye is sloppy where connected to the pedal ,i am trying to solve the mystery and get the correct booster, the booster i have is directly bolted to the pedal their is no bellcrank type like i seen on 77s

I have a spring pulling the pedal forward to take out the slop other wise it saggs on the brake light .switch. Thanks

1979 f250 4x4 no a/c no cruise

Old 11-01-2015, 09:04 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
The Ford parts catalog does show a difference between the boosters for trucks with or without cruise control.
There are two possibilities for your truck depending on its serial number.
77-79 F250 4WD w/ dual piston calipers and no cruise before s/n DJ0,001
D7TZ-2005-B
1979 from s/n DJ0,001
D9TZ-2005-B

Green Sales, Cincinnati, OH shows 4 of the D7 and 1 of the D9 in stock (800) 543-4959

Old 11-01-2015, 09:17 AM
winginit
Elder User
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
The Ford parts catalog does show a difference between the boosters for trucks with or without cruise control.
There are two possibilities for your truck depending on its serial number.
77-79 F250 4WD w/ dual piston calipers and no cruise before s/n DJ0,001
D7TZ-2005-B
1979 from s/n DJ0,001
D9TZ-2005-B

Green Sales, Cincinnati, OH shows 4 of the D7 and 1 of the D9 in stock (800) 543-4959
Can you post the diagrams please? Also how do you read the serial number how do I now if it before or after ? My vin. Is. F26HEFC3838
Is the d9 booster the one with a eye at the end of the shaft straight out?

Also the cab has been changed and if the bracket is different that changes it again. Thanks for the help!!

Old 11-01-2015, 09:59 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
A truck with cruise control will have an input rod to the booster with a triangular shaped eyelet (where it attaches to the brake pedal).

A truck with power brakes and no cruise control will have an input rod eyelet that is round.

Starting in '78, Ford revised the pedal ratios on power brake boosters in the trucks, to reduce their mechanical advantage. Power brake boosters don't need as much leverage as manual brakes. Lowering the pedal ratio makes the boosted brakes less sensitive when the brakes are applied.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:11 AM
winginit
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
A truck with cruise control will have an input rod to the booster with a triangular shaped eyelet (where it attaches to the brake pedal).

A truck with power brakes and no cruise control will have an input rod eyelet that is round.

Starting in '78, Ford revised the pedal ratios on power brake boosters in the trucks, to reduce their mechanical advantage. Power brake boosters don't need as much leverage as manual brakes. Lowering the pedal ratio makes the boosted brakes less sensitive when the brakes are applied.
so both the cruise and non cruise have a eye that curves down but one is round? i am confused ? lol
my brakes work good but the pedal feels very easy to push like to easy.
the PO said he lost the pin that connects the rod and the pedal and used a bolt but the rod has a bigger whole than the peadal and the pedal is sloppy, i got a pin out of a 77 but it was to small. thanks

Old 11-01-2015, 10:39 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Brake Booster Input Rods (Cruise Control/non-Cruise Control)

I can show you some examples better than I can try to explain it.

This is a '75 F350 dual diaphram brake booster meant for a truck with cruise control. Notice the eyelet has a triangular shape to it and the input rod is straight --non-revised pedal ratio.

This is a '75 F350 dual diaphragm brake booster meant for a truck without cruise control (this is the booster I installed in my '69 F100 Ranger).

1979 F250 single diaphragm booster without cruise control with a revised pedal ratio (push rod curves down on the tip and has the rounded eyelet).

1979 F250 single diaphragm booster with cruise control and revised pedal ratio. (Pushrod curves downward on the tip and has a triangular eyelet).

There were also larger single diaphragm boosters with a very short input rod to the booster, meant for a bell crank style firewall bracket. There was also a larger diameter single diaphragm booster, that mounted high on the firewall with a bell crank style firewall bracket, with an input rod that looks like a flat bar. The flat input rod on the '75 - earlier versions was shorter than the '76-'79 booster versions.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:37 PM
winginit
Elder User
I can show you some examples better than I can try to explain it.

This is a '75 F350 dual diaphram brake booster meant for a truck with cruise control. Notice the eyelet has a triangular shape to it and the input rod is straight --non-revised pedal ratio.

This is a '75 F350 dual diaphragm brake booster meant for a truck without cruise control (this is the booster I installed in my '69 F100 Ranger).

1979 F250 single diaphragm booster without cruise control with a revised pedal ratio (push rod curves down on the tip and has the rounded eyelet).

1979 F250 single diaphragm booster with cruise control and revised pedal ratio. (Pushrod curves downward on the tip and has a triangular eyelet).

There were also larger single diaphragm boosters with a very short input rod to the booster, meant for a bell crank style firewall bracket. There was also a larger diameter single diaphragm booster, that mounted high on the firewall with a bell crank style firewall bracket, with an input rod that looks like a flat bar. The flat input rod on the '75 - earlier versions was shorter than the '76-'79 booster versions.
Thanks for the diagrams. I have the second one from the bottom according to the diagrams I have the correct booster.
I am missing the correct fastener that connects the booster eye to the pedal ( no bellcrank ) in my case .
There is a bolt holding the eye to pedal but it's not right and causing slop.
Is there any where I can get the correct bolt . Also maybe there are bushings that go in the hole in the pedal that would take out the slop.
Should there be bushings? The hole in the booster eye is bigger than the hole in the pedal. Thanks for helping me.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:57 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
There is a nylon bushing that goes in the eye of the booster input rod. There should be a shouldered bolt that goes through the eye and into the hole in the brake pedal. The head of the bolt will require a 3/4" wrench. The nut on the bolt will require a 9/16" wrench.

Dennis Carpenter and other vendors has the bushing. The shouldered bolt MAY be a wrecking yard item.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:34 PM
winginit
Elder User

Please look at these pictures. This is the brake/ clutch pedal that's in my truck. It looks like 2 pieces of steel are bolted to the brake pedal where the booster eye should go. Am I rite?
Then welded. I don't see any other assembly's like this. I think the hole for the booster eye has that bolt in it.

Can anyone say this is rite or wrong?
Maybe someone had the short shaft booster in there at one time ?
I wonder if I pull out the brake assembly and take the steel pieces off( one on each side of the pedal) then it will be back to stock???

Old 11-01-2015, 05:14 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
The flat bar was definitely added by someone other than the factory. Not sure why other than the pushrod of the booster would apparently not reach the hole in the brake pedal and the flat bar was used to extend the length of the booster input rod to reach the brake pedal.

I don't know if your truck originally had manual brakes and this booster was pirated from another truck, installed, and the input rod wasn't quite long enough to reach the pedal so the flat bar was added to bridge the gap (?).

Or, your truck did come with power brakes, something happened to the original booster and it was replaced with another, but an incorrect booster was installed and the flat bar modification was added to push the brake pedal back (?).

If the bar was removed, you'll probably find that the pedal will move significantly forward when in its static position (when the pedal isn't being applied) and you would have little pedal travel before possibly hitting the floor and run out of pedal travel, when the pedal is being applied.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by winginit
Can you post the diagrams please? Also how do you read the serial number how do I now if it before or after ? My vin. Is. F26HEFC3838
Is the d9 booster the one with a eye at the end of the shaft straight out?
Also the cab has been changed and if the bracket is different that changes it again. Thanks for the help!!
Unfortunately the parts catalog doesn't have specific pictures, only generic drawings of most parts.
The serial number is the last six digits of the VIN. Your serial number is FC3838 so it is after the DJ0,001 s/n break.
The shoulder bolt you need for the brake pedal is p/n 382254-S2. Green Sales in Cincinnati, OH has 25 (800) 543-4959.
Also, check your brake pedal. If its the correct one for the application the ID number D8TA-2455-TA should be stamped on it. This is for the application '79 F250 4WD w/o cruise, w/ power brakes after s/n DJ0,001. The actual part number is D9TZ-2455-A.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:23 PM
winginit
Elder User
Thanks on the part numbers,
I should see the number on the pedal assembly when I take it out?

My truck was converted to auto they left the clutch / brake assembly i guess he didn't have a brake pedal to swap.

I have a brake pedal out of a auto from a late77 f250. Will it fit in my truck?

The pedal does seem a little high maybe if I take of the homemade exstention it will be rite. If not why then. Mix match parts ? I know the cab was changed I think he said it was a f150. Thanks

Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 PM
winginit
Elder User
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
Unfortunately the parts catalog doesn't have specific pictures, only generic drawings of most parts.
The serial number is the last six digits of the VIN. Your serial number is FC3838 so it is after the DJ0,001 s/n break.
The shoulder bolt you need for the brake pedal is p/n 382254-S2. Green Sales in Cincinnati, OH has 25 (800) 543-4959.
Also, check your brake pedal. If its the correct one for the application the ID number D8TA-2455-TA should be stamped on it. This is for the application '79 F250 4WD w/o cruise, w/ power brakes after s/n DJ0,001. The actual part number is D9TZ-2455-A.
I called green sales and ordered 2 . 1 Xtra.
The part number on my pedal is d7 TA LA
It also days. 1-0 10 78. And. Pwr. Brk so I does not match the number that mike provided.
I am thinking this pedal Is for the bellcrank style but they didn't have the bell crank so they made a exstention .

I put the booster eye next to where the bolt is on the pedal like is should be and the pedal would be way low. So I'm thinking I need a bellcrank or the pedal with the other I.D number.

I am looking for opinions to try and make it rite. Thanks

Old 11-02-2015, 12:21 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
You have a booster that's designed for the revised ratio brake pedal/pedal hanger on a non-revised ratio pedal/pedal hanger.

You need a booster that has a straight input rod to the pedal (not a booster with an input rod that curves downward).

Old 11-02-2015, 06:36 PM
winginit
Elder User
You have a booster that's designed for the revised ratio brake pedal/pedal hanger on a non-revised ratio pedal/pedal hanger.

You need a booster that has a straight input rod to the pedal (not a booster with an input rod that curves downward).
where can i buy a revised booster ? I don't see a straight eye booster anywhere . thanks

Quick Reply: how many different vacumm booster for 79 f250