6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Injector O-ring advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:10 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector O-ring advice

Im changing out dummy plugs and standpipes and while im waiting for those to come in, Im going to inspect my injector o rings (top). Is it worth just changing them all out as a preventative measure or should i just replace as necessary? Ive read and watched the videos that say if the top part of the injector orings are toast, then the nipple cup o ring on the oil rail could be suspect for causing the top injector ring to go bad. I dont suspect the nipple cup seals but if its worth it, I would like to change out the top o rings on the injectors while i have it opened.
05 model
Thanks!

Old 10-30-2015, 02:02 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the drivers side valve cover off of my '03 and did the top o-rings. It's not that hard, just takes a little time and patience. No need to take the injectors or the top clip out. I will tell you the passenger side will take more time back near the A/C box.
I did have the nipple cup o-rings replaced as a PM measure by a reputable shop near me.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:14 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The upper injector seal failure is caused by the nipple cup seals in the oil rail. When those seals go it allows high pressure oil to target that injector seal.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:15 PM
creator
Senior User
Blow the oil out of the top of the injector with air. If they are bad you can tell by looking at them. No need to replace preventatively if they look good.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:17 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Originally Posted by navistarnut
I had the drivers side valve cover off of my '03 and did the top o-rings. It's not that hard, just takes a little time and patience. No need to take the injectors or the top clip out. I will tell you the passenger side will take more time back near the A/C box.
I did have the nipple cup o-rings replaced as a PM measure by a reputable shop near me.

FORD 6.0L ~Replacing the Top Injector Seal Without Removing Injector or C-Clip ~Easy! - YouTube
Thanks for the video! I think my leak was at the dummy plug because of the shape of the o ring was in. I'm wondering if it would be smart to go ahead and put new upper o rings in the injectors while I'm in there, or would it just be risking causing a injector leak? Any advice?

Old 10-30-2015, 05:34 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Originally Posted by creator
Blow the oil out of the top of the injector with air. If they are bad you can tell by looking at them. No need to replace preventatively if they look good.
Thats what i was curious about. Whether or not to go ahead and replace them as a preventative measure. Thanks!

I watched the videos you posted in https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ole-story.html You did such a good job with that. I'll try to rep you.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:35 PM
creator
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmytoes
Thats what i was curious about. Whether or not to go ahead and replace them as a preventative measure. Thanks!

I watched the videos you posted in https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ole-story.html You did such a good job with that. I'll try to rep you.
Yeah. If they all look uniform in size and shape (and not missing parts it is fine to leave them alone.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:12 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Yeah. If they all look uniform in size and shape (and not missing parts it is fine to leave them alone.
Thanks a lot. reps sent

Old 10-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Archy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would do it just for peace of mind on long hauls. There to easy to change not to

Old 10-31-2015, 11:19 AM
timmytoes
Senior User

Does anyone sell just the top o ring or do you haveto buy the whole set? I saw the links you posted for bostech and alliant but they sell them of curse by the set. Im still debating replacing them only because they are the originals in a 05 and i have 142,000 miles.
Thanks!

Old 10-31-2015, 11:22 AM
timmytoes
Senior User

Originally Posted by Archy
I would do it just for peace of mind on long hauls. There to easy to change not to
That was might thought as well. I just didnt want to end up creating more things to fix. Do you know of any reputable rings that arent sold as a set for the whole injector?
Thanks!

Old 10-31-2015, 12:20 PM
creator
Senior User
I'm not aware of anyone that sells just the top seal. I'm working on the HHC diesel design now. We will be including them with our bulletproof nipple cups and tool sets once we have them. I know that doesn't help you now though.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Archy
Senior User
Sorry no I don't I wish I did this and the crush washers the ones I have been getting come with every oring in and out on the injector I will attach a picture of them also I just got another set last week thatnalso has all of them. The seal on the right I just pulled out of an injector that was used for probably 3000 miles so you have a comparrison

Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2015, 03:18 PM
Archy
Senior User
Here are the kit numbers

Old 10-31-2015, 03:22 PM
Archy
Senior User
Sorry forgot to upload

Attached Images