6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Thoughts on the 6.7?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 AM
bigorosco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on the 6.7?

So I currently have a 2000 F-350 7.3 PS. Love it, had it since it was new, but had to take a friend to the dealership yesterday for some warranty work and happened to see a really clean 2012 F250 FX4 with the 6.7 PS with only 36,000 on the clock.

Don't really want to go back to making a payment but starting to get the bug, lol. Just wondering what everyone thinks about the 6.7?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:04 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
The newer trucks have many enhanced features.

In 2005 Ford changed the front suspension, A Long bed turns in the radius as the older short bed. Brakes were enhance in 2005 and again in 2012 or 2013( don't remember).

Of course all the new electronics are neat. Back up Camera is great. USB or Blue Tooth music. I've long forgot about CD's. Hands free Cell phone. and 110 volt invertor and USB ports to charge personal electronics.

Trucks are much quieter. What little hearing I have is preserved.

But the trucks have grown, Heavier and taller. Need the man step on tailgate to get into the bed. Tires are bigger and more expensive. But brakes last much longer than earlier Superduties.

Much better mirrors on mynew truck vs my 2000.

Less space in the engine bay if you like to work in that area.

Much more powerful engine, But mpg will be down a bit from your 7.3L.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bigorosco
So I currently have a 2000 F-350 7.3 PS. Love it, had it since it was new, but had to take a friend to the dealership yesterday for some warranty work and happened to see a really clean 2012 F250 FX4 with the 6.7 PS with only 36,000 on the clock.

Don't really want to go back to making a payment but starting to get the bug, lol. Just wondering what everyone thinks about the 6.7?
I was in your boat, well sort of..... I came from a 2004 F250 4x4 (last year of the leaf front suspension) but with a tuned 6.0L with 4" turbo back exhaust, no cat.

Jumping to a 2015 6.7 - one the biggest things I like is the lack of noise. Don't get me wrong, I love a stinky noisy diesel beast as much as the next guy, but this new truck is so quiet you'd swear it's not diesel... until you hit the go pedal!

This thing is stronger, faster, and all around more powerful than my 6.0L even with a hot street tune in it!

Fuel mileage - my 6.0 got about 9-10 towing my 13K# 5th wheel. So far this 6.7 (not fully broken in yet) gets the same. But has tons more power.

Towing - Tows straighter, more stable, stops better, goes better, rides better. Towing is so much better and more stable that I'm going to get the wife driving it soon to help with long trips. She would have never been able to handle the 2004. You actually had to DRIVE it while towing. Not just cruise.

Unloaded fuel mileage - my 6.0 got 15-16 on the highway. Weekend before last I was heading home from the country place (unloaded). Got fuel before leaving and reset trip meter - drove conservatively home 65-75mph range, a few areas of slow and stop-n-go traffic - travel time was 2:02hrs, 117.6 miles - got 21.5 MPG !

Not bad for a 7500# brick with only 2500 miles on it so far. Hopefully it'll get even better once it loosens up with a little more break-in and synthetic oil.

The interior is also one of my favorite things. I got the Platinum package with the full console and MyFord touch infotainment center, sunroof, etc... Coming from a relatively basic 2004 XLT truck to this one is a huge difference. The creature comforts and tech advancements over the last decade+ is nice.

Coming from a leaf spring truck the ride on the new truck is a nice improvement too. It still rides a lot like a truck, just not a dump truck lol !

Overall I'm very happy with the new truck. But again, like you said, I came from a truck with NO PAYMENTS to a truck with rather large payments now. But if you wanna play, you gotta pay.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
I am on my 2nd 6.7 with a total of 50,000 +. Issues, a few, but nothing to blame on the engine, but rather the engine management system (computer). Other than that I have not any any issues with either or my two trucks, in fact I don't believe I have taken either truck in for warranty work other than issues resulting from software. Both times the issue was resolved by doing a reload to the ECM.

I bought my truck because of the engine, not a Ford here at all, never have been...that said IMO Ford just has a better product and the engine design I believe is a superior design. Ford released a clean sheet of paper engine and its worked and works well.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
You won't regret the swap.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:55 PM
bigorosco
New User
Being used, the payments on this one wouldn't be bad. But definitely more than $0, lol. However, with 340k miles I do have some semi-regular maintenance bills. And yeah the (really old and worn) leaf springs ride a little rough and that 7.3 is pretty noisy so a little quieter, smoother ride would definitely be nice.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
There is one item to consider. That is how you use your current truck.

Modern (2008 and up) diesels have emission system that make it difficult for some.

Endless Idling, start and stops without actually going anywhere.

Low speed city driving.

All those things take their toll on the emissions systems. Keep your use in mind.

How would you use the truck on a fairly consistent basis?

Old 10-27-2015, 01:37 PM
bigorosco
New User
Good point Senix. Currently I commute back and forth to work in it, so that's mostly city driving but not much low speed there or idling. And then once a month (more in the winter) I've got it out at the deer lease doing a little more heavy duty work there and then highway mostly to get out there.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:59 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not disputing Ginther but if you get 21.5 mpg with a 2015 or up you have the exception to the rule. 2015 went to a larger turbo thus the extra power but there is a price to pay for HP and torque. I see many more posts for 2015 and up in the 16 mpg highway range than the 20 range. Just don't want you to get your hopes up if you don't get one of the exceptions to the rule.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 69cj
I'm not disputing Ginther but if you get 21.5 mpg with a 2015 or up you have the exception to the rule. 2015 went to a larger turbo thus the extra power but there is a price to pay for HP and torque. I see many more posts for 2015 and up in the 16 mpg highway range than the 20 range. Just don't want you to get your hopes up if you don't get one of the exceptions to the rule.
No sweat man. I wasn't expecting anything more than mid teens for MPG when I bought this 2015. But twice now (unloaded road trips) I've gotten very good MPG with it. Once when it was still brand new with only a few hundred miles on it, and then again last week with just over 2400 miles on it.

I assume it has a lot to do with that pedal on the right. It's SO TEMPTING to push it, but if you can manage to drive like there is a raw egg under your foot, and baby it a little, good MPG can be a reality. LOL!

I seriously doubt it'll be a long term condition though. I like the right pedal too much to keep this conservative driving stuff up for too long! LOL!

For a bit of a reality check, so far since owning it since July 2015 and now at 2532 miles on the clock... average MPG is 13.0 ........ BUT you have to consider that about half those miles are towing my 13000 pound 5th wheel getting about 9-10MPG.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
And that 21.5 MPG trip DID NOT have a regen occur.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
I have a '12 with 79k miles. My truck has been to the shop for an emissions recall to reflash the PCM. No repairs to date and it's been great truck.

I also agree with points Senix made.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went from a 7.3L to a 6.7L earlier this year. Personally I'm happy with the change.

The noise, smell, etc all gone. The new truck is way more comfortable, and I thought my old one was great for comfort.

I put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into the old truck, and I had a hard time letting it go. But in the end it was a heck of an upgrade.

Personally I don't think it was that big of a deal getting used to the new truck. It pretty much tells you when to do all the maintenance stuff, so that makes it easy. Just make sure you follow the maintenance EXACTLY as stated in the owner's manual. Creature comforts are nice, wifey likes the heated and A/C seats, remote start, streaming Bluetooth, etc.

If you're serious about doing it, go test drive one. The test drive will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:14 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
. The test drive will tell you everything you need to know.
Reminds me, back in 2010 this was referred to as the "$55,000 test drive".

When these first came out, the forum frequently would advise onlookers "do NOT go drive one unless you're ready to buy it".

The niceness of the quiet and smoothness is one thing but the way the torque is laid down from 1700-2700rpm is very hard to stay away from.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
to the op, it sounds like your commute and use is good enough to get the truck hot. I think it would be ok.

EGR system has to be worked hard on occasion or it can get gummed up (the cooler).

So some towing or heavy throttle sometimes will help keep it clean.

With my DRW and 3.73 gears I have seen over 17 unloaded.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 6.7?