1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2003 Edge window problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:15 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2003 Edge window problems

Hello everyone, Cody here from up in the OBS forum. So I bought an 03 Edge for my commute to work. It has some issues.

Windows would work intermittently with a new switch I installed. Could here a clicking under the dash.

Found the clicking relay, seemed fine. The one next to it is hot to the touch.

Weird part is BOTH windows would auto down. I thought only the drivers would do that.

And last, the keyless entry would occasionally not work when it was hot.

So now, windows will not work at all. Hoping somebody has seen this.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:19 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Hi!! Rick here from the '99-'03 PSD forum.....(I have an '03 Edge too!!)

My first thought is that someone has messed with the wiring on your window switches/motors.......they DID NOT come from the factory with auto down on the PASSENGERS side window.......

I've seen several accounts of folks swapping in different switches and or doing some wiring to get the auto down to work.......

As far as the problem with the keyless remote, I have aftermarket remotes that I bought for mine, and sometimes they will not work until I'm right at the truck, sometimes I can lock or unlock from way across the yard.........

I know neither of these things that I have said will fix your problem, just shared my experiances......

Old 10-26-2015, 05:08 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Rick, I'm thinking the same thing about someone messing with the wiring. Question is where do I look for that "mod"? Ive had both door panels off and switches out. Nothing looked "unfactory". There is a little momentary switch or push button that was mounted to the bottom of the dash panel when I bought it. Not sure what that is, but don't think it's factory. I guess I need to chase that and see where it leads me. I pushed it on several occations but nothing happens.

I know the motors work fine because the quit working in the down positions. So I ran hot wires and grounds to them just to roll them up.

Hopefully someone knows this mod and can point me in a direction. I know I will figure it out, I just haven't had much time to mess with it.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:21 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
If you have the inexpensive ELM scantool running FORScan, or the like software to the viewing device of your choice, have it scan the vehicle computers/controllers for trouble code clues & post All code Numbers. The GEM controls the windows & the PATS anti-theft system may have keyless remote trouble code clues stored & the ELM scantool running FORScan can query both systems & maybe give needed direction to your trouble shoot.
More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:24 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Mind blown...... Haha, I don't have a scanner, but I have access to one. I will see if I can't get those codes and report back.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:08 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

So an update on the windows not working..... So I chased the momentary switch under the dash. It ended up being a whole mess of WTF wiring spliced into factory wiring. I removed all of it and put everything that I found back to factory. But the windows still do not work. I'm gonna replace the drivers switch again because it just doesn't feel right. I'll report back when I have more.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:21 PM
pawpaw
You can get no cost wiring info/down loads info from the link in this thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ictorials.html

Old 11-17-2015, 07:33 AM
pawpaw
Once you know the wiring is put back right, an ELM scan of the GEM body controller for code Number clues, can help focus a trouble shoot.
A scan with my ELM scantool in looking for codes on my ABS trouble shoot, also turned up stored GEM power window code clues I didn't know I had, that'll also help me in finding & fixing my intermittent pw problems.