1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas? Excursion/250 - having to replace injectors/FICM/etc every 500 miles??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Lakvoodoo
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas? Excursion/250 - having to replace injectors/FICM/etc every 500 miles??

Hi.... Hoping someone can help me (and Ford mechanics) out here as so far no one can figure out the root cause.

2005 Excursion Diesel (6.0 TurboDiesel) ~150k.

Have taken solid care of this truck and had no major probs until around 135k (2014), where we replaced EGR valve, FICM and a few injectors. Made it fine for about 10K, then EGR valve went bad again; replaced it w/new one that lasted about 300 miles (apparently was bad from factory/warrantied...but now I’m wondering if something else wasn’t going on??).

Fast forward to 2 months ago. Drove about 500 miles all over the mountains of Colorado, pretty high elevation, mainly highway. On one of the “usual” passes (10K), as I got stuck behind a lot of slow traffic during the climb, I felt a slight loss of power (intermittent) and a mild “burp/stutter”, so mild that in fact that I thought maybe my foot slid slightly off the gas pedal. I could tell it wasn't running well (seemed like it wanted more "gas" (air?) but I was able to hobble it across the mountain (late at night when I knew there'd be no slow traffic), where they said an injector had gone out, one on the way....so we went ahead and replaced ALL.

Made it another 4-500 miles, then boom happened again.....coincidentally over the same 10k' pass, felt the "minor hiccup", saw a little light gray smoke on the acceleration, then on the next mellow climb about 10 miles ahead, the truck stalled. Died. Dead.

I was able to crank it and “gun” it the final one mile to my house. It seemed like that truck only would run if over 2500 RPM, anything slower it would die. Got it towed to Ford dealership who kept it for 10 days -- replaced all injectors, FICM and Master Sensor. It ran fine for the next 500 miles until today......the same mild “burp/buck” when slowly driving up a busy road, and the engine light came on.

So, in sum -- 2 SETS OF INJECTORS, 2 FICMs, 3 EGRs, 1 MASTER SENSOR..... and this keeps happening. Fortunately these parts keep getting warrantied, but my time/safety is not. Further as I’m pretty remote it puts me w/out this vehicle for 1-2 weeks at a time, AND frankly who wants to be stressed out all the time that this tank might die any moment possibly causing an accident -- often in a pretty remote location (no cell, traffic, etc.).

Oh btw, most of the driving over the past 20k has been on pavement or smooth gravel, and all of the driving has been very mellow (no hotrodding, speeding, etc.. I use high quality diesel when possible and additive every few fills. Ford says all else on truck looks fine. Interestingly they couldve tried to make a lot of money off me, but made none as all was warrantied....seemed like a good crew of mechanics. This week will have to take it to a different ford as I'm in a different state.)

Hoping someone here may have some clue of what Ford is missing....root problem? Thanks much....

Old 10-25-2015, 11:11 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I think at this point I would be going to a different repair shop. I know it is POSSIBLE for the dealership to get defective parts, but this sounds a little suspicious. They are apparently missing the true cause of your problem. Low system voltage could be destroying the FICM and that does effect the injectors, or there could be a wiring problem with bare wires touching another circuit or ground etc. They don't seem to be doing a good job of trouble shooting, and what is a MASTER SENSOR.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:35 AM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The master sensor is the one that is charge of all the other sensors.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:00 AM
NYCruiser
Senior User
How old are the batteries? Has alternator been tested?

From Wikipedia:
Numerous PCM recalibrations, fuel injector stiction along with several other driveability and QC problems have been problems for the 6.0 as well. The FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) has been a problem, where low voltage in the vehicle's electrical system due to failing batteries or a low-output alternator can cause damage to the FICM. In addition, the placement of the FICM on top of the engine subjects it to varying extreme temperatures and vibration causing solder joints and components to fail; mostly in the power supply itself. The FICM multiplies the voltage in the fuel injector circuit from 12 to 48-50 volts to fire the injectors. Low voltage can eventually cause damage to the fuel injectors.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:34 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
different dealership... or truck.

dependability is KEY?... a replacement.

Nothing man makes is highly dependable. and being well used less so.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:16 PM
Lakvoodoo
Trailering
Thanks all.

So, my bad... I meant Master Airflow Sensor (maf) (not master sensor...siri/bad proofreader). And go figure, we ran the scanner and it gave code p1102 saying "mass air flow sensor in range but low". (It could be a coincidence (bad replacement MAF) OR this is what's been triggering fouling out these expensive blowouts of injectors and computer and breaking down on side of road. Fyi, we checked the new maf and it was seated correctly.

Anyway, welcome more thoughts if ya have em.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:03 AM
DavidB
Elder User
There is no such thing as a "Master Airflow Sensor".

For basic information on a Mass Airflow Sensor, look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor

Old 10-31-2015, 09:10 AM
shultzaberger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be the first to say it but these 6.0's really, really, really need to be monitored. I run a ScanGauge-2 along with a 3-in-1 pillar gauge (boost/EGT/Fuel PSI) but there are better monitors and gauges out there.

Go get a good monitor and watch the engine params as it's idling, cruising, starting and etc and I'm sure you'll eventually track down the issue.

For your issue I'd start with monitoring FICM Main Power, FICM Logic Power, Battery voltage and maybe IAT1 or IAT2 (one of them is the MAF).

Oh and I would maybe clean up every single one of your ground connections.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:45 PM
Lakvoodoo
Trailering
Man, me and siri anre NOT getting along: yes you're right "mass air flow" sensor (not master, what the heck, haha).

Old 10-31-2015, 08:46 PM
Lakvoodoo
Trailering
And thanks for the other feedback/ideas Shultzaberger. Appreciated.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:40 PM
trkfix
Freshman User
Ok alot of repeat parts , think they are treating symtom & not cause.,
first need to make sure fuel pressure is correct psi., ford say spes is 45 at wide open throttle . thats to low , 60PSI. ., fuel pressure regulator should be replaced wiht new (base part #9t517)., ,low fuel pressure will damage injectors. . SO diagnosing by symtoms above . I would first look at egr system for carbon cuasing it to stick open (low power & stalling)., i would also look at turbo for sticking vanes ., .If ficm actually failed. i would look for voltage supplied to ficm., maf reading is result of somthing else.But first make sure fuel pressure is correct. I am a ford senior master diesel tech.
been at since befor the 6.9 came along.,

Old 12-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Lakvoodoo
Trailering
So, finally got it into the shop. Apparently....PIGTAIL busted/crimped (mass air flow sensor). And $300. Hrmmm.