Sponsored by:

WTB Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:59 PM
Cadillac Bill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTB Excursion

WTB an Excursion. Budget open, could go $20k + or - for exceptional (all the creature comforts) ex. Want to tow vintage Cadillac in an enclosed trailer of about 28 foot and weigh 10k or so loaded (this would be high end weight). Also looking for a black trailer.

I like black inside and out though could live with different inside color. I like a diesel. Could be 4wd, but I don't get off road with this and would probably be ok with rwd. I like larger stock wheels, but don't care about lift.

I have good mechanic skills for working on cars, but my area of expertise is these old Caddies.

I am new to Ford trucks, and especially X, but I like the look. I like big. I like enclosed. My lighter weight daily driver is a Chevy Astro Van, or a classic Cadillac. (1956 through 1960)

Serious buyer and ready - Thanks for help

Cadillac Bill
Atlanta GA

Old 10-25-2015, 02:01 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Thumbs up

Send a PM and I'll help you in your search.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Cadillac Bill
New User
Originally Posted by mecdac
Send a PM and I'll help you in your search.
Feedback is indicating that a 7.3 diesel is less problematic than a 6.0

OK, sending PM. I see you are in JawJa.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:57 AM
FoxRodder
New User
Cadillac lovin owner of a raggedy 68 Coupe Deville here, also hunting for an X

Old 10-25-2015, 09:59 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Cadillac Bill
Feedback is indicating that a 7.3 diesel is less problematic than a 6.0

OK, sending PM. I see you are in JawJa.
I am now, just got back from SoDak, all 3800 miles.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Cadillac Bill
New User
Originally Posted by FoxRodder
Cadillac lovin owner of a raggedy 68 Coupe Deville here, also hunting for an X
Good to meet you!

We actually have a 1958 Cadillac Fleetwood Truck, but want to tow it, not with it

Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Cadillac Bill
New User
Here is one of our much more authentic cars - 1959 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible

Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2015, 02:09 PM
FoxRodder
New User
Very cool. Love me some 59

My 68 has the 472/TH400. I recently bought a new made to order class 3 hitch through Uhaul for it. I wanted to use it to tow since its got that big ole motor but unfortunately I realized after the fact that none of the collector car insurance companies allowed for towing unless you had some specialty trailer that they would also insure separately for car shows. Regular liability only insurance for the Coupe is more than full coverage for my mustangs. So in the end its cheaper to pay insurance on another vehicle and keep the collector insurance at just over 200$ for the whole year. More vehicles is fine with me. Only my wife thinks more vehicles is bad!

Old 10-25-2015, 02:33 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a lot available in the south Florida market in both diesels, specially if 4x4 is not a requirement.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:26 PM
FoxRodder
New User
I did check the south Florida craigslist a couple times but every time I search down there for car stuff I always get a bad feeling about things. People seem shady. I'm from Miami originally too.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:28 PM
FoxRodder
New User
Bill I just noticed there was a mountain in that picture. I was busy drooling on those fins!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Cadillac Bill
New User
Very cool. Love me some 59

I realized after the fact that none of the collector car insurance companies allowed for towing unless you had some specialty trailer that they would also insure separately for car shows.

I had no idea about THIS! I'll check with Hagerty and see what they require. Damn! Glad you mentioned this before I bought a whole rig!

Your car with the 472 and Turbo trans sounds like a good combo. I just bought an 8.1 Liter (502ci) Cadillac engine with the same tranny. Torque out the yin-yang. Don't know what I'll do with it, yet.

Am also considering a Ford f-150 2015 with 3.5L Ecoboost for tow vehicle. Reliability is quite important when towing one of our old Caddies.

I do want an enclosed trailer. Was up in the Blue Ridge mountains once and hail, big hail, was predicted. Was able to snug up under a motel Portico(?) Awning(?) and was ok, but it was scary. Don't like open trailers for show cars.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:10 PM
FoxRodder
New User
Originally Posted by Cadillac Bill
I had no idea about THIS! I'll check with Hagerty and see what they require. Damn! Glad you mentioned this before I bought a whole rig!

Your car with the 472 and Turbo trans sounds like a good combo. I just bought an 8.1 Liter (502ci) Cadillac engine with the same tranny. Torque out the yin-yang. Don't know what I'll do with it, yet.

Am also considering a Ford f-150 2015 with 3.5L Ecoboost for tow vehicle. Reliability is quite important when towing one of our old Caddies.

I do want an enclosed trailer. Was up in the Blue Ridge mountains once and hail, big hail, was predicted. Was able to snug up under a motel Portico(?) Awning(?) and was ok, but it was scary. Don't like open trailers for show cars.
I think maybe I was not clear there. I was speaking on the subject of using my Caddy TO tow a trailer not about it being towed IN/ON a trailer. But while on the topic, I would certainly ask them if they have any stipulations about how your collector vehicle is covered if being towed. They have some very particular rules about things in their fine print. Hagerty is the most lax on rules as far as I can tell as well. I looked up grundy and they only allow you to drive to and from a car show. I like to drive my cars for my own enjoyment at any time to any place of my choosing.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Cadillac Bill
New User
I think maybe I was not clear there. I was speaking on the subject of using my Caddy TO tow a trailer not about it being towed IN/ON a trailer. But while on the topic, I would certainly ask them if they have any stipulations about how your collector vehicle is covered if being towed. They have some very particular rules about things in their fine print. Hagerty is the most lax on rules as far as I can tell as well. I looked up grundy and they only allow you to drive to and from a car show. I like to drive my cars for my own enjoyment at any time to any place of my choosing.
This is also a question for me. We have a 1967 Airstream 17' Caravel that we would like to tow with one of our classic Cadillacs. Will check and get back to you.