6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Spuddering succotash

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:18 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would have been cheaper to get Rev x through Riff raff diesel products or some diesel shops carry the product as well, archoil is pretty good and has great results, RevX and a new Alternator saved me and my Ficm.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:20 PM
Pierre Comeau
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
The 66 VGT has me wondering , as long as you don't see 15 on 2500 rpm and 85 on high idle , you will from time to time get 85 VGT on low idle , is this test in park ? Need to be in park no HVAC, radio, just getting the values in koeo low and high 2500 in park, the ICPV when the truck is acting up try to get those numbers, at what rpm we can guesstimate unless you capture these in park , could very well be an injector, just trying to rule out some obvious parts that do the same thing in Nature
I captured these in PARK with only the lights on. Now, ICPV range from around 0.28V to like 4.something, even 5 if I recall correctly and it matches how much I put my foot into it. I haven't seen it bouncing around other than small normal decimals. Can't really hold it perfectly still.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Pierre Comeau
Freshman User
Would have been cheaper to get Rev x through Riff raff diesel products or some diesel shops carry the product as well, archoil is pretty good and has great results, RevX and a new Alternator saved me and my Ficm.
I could've had it shipped here for same or next day but I figured I needed the ride in my 6.0. I wanted to try the Sea Foam before I dumped the oil and added Rev-X with fresh oil. Stuff ain't cheap though. 39,98$ CAD a bottle. Hope it helps.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:25 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Here are some ford specs
VGT- koeo-0 low-73 high-43
ICPV-koeo-0.2 start.85 low-1.0 high-1.8

Old 11-25-2015, 10:29 PM
Pierre Comeau
Freshman User
Here are some ford specs
VGT- koeo-0 low-73 high-43
ICPV-koeo-0.2 start.85 low-1.0 high-1.8
Okay. So over 1.8V there's something wrong with my ICP?

Old 11-25-2015, 10:30 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Pierre Comeau
I captured these in PARK with only the lights on. Now, ICPV range from around 0.28V to like 4.something, even 5 if I recall correctly and it matches how much I put my foot into it. I haven't seen it bouncing around other than small normal decimals. Can't really hold it perfectly still.
When I get to my pictures on my computer I will send you where my short was, gave me a lot of grief, May or may not be your problem but better to rule it out anyway .

Old 11-25-2015, 10:34 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Okay. So over 1.8V there's something wrong with my ICP?
Not necessarily , operating values read 0.15 to4.7 were trying to see what it's doing when the truck acts up if within spec then we move on

Old 11-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Pierre Comeau
Freshman User
Not necessarily , operating values read 0.15 to4.7 were trying to see what it's doing when the truck acts up if within spec then we move on
Okay I see.

I was juste watching some more youtubes from Bill Hewitt and there was one where he talked about the replacement injector options and he explained stiction. After watching this, I'm getting the feeling that I am experiencing stiction on the fuel side of the injector(s). IF, that's the case, Rev-X in my oil won't do much other than prevention which is still good. But IF, that's the case, then I'll just keep using ATF in my fuel for another 3-4 fillups or Sea Foam the pee out of my fuel until either A) the pesky varnish problem goes away or B) I stick 8 new injectors in ´er and be done with it.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:01 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Okay I see.

I was juste watching some more youtubes from Bill Hewitt and there was one where he talked about the replacement injector options and he explained stiction. After watching this, I'm getting the feeling that I am experiencing stiction on the fuel side of the injector(s). IF, that's the case, Rev-X in my oil won't do much other than prevention which is still good. But IF, that's the case, then I'll just keep using ATF in my fuel for another 3-4 fillups or Sea Foam the pee out of my fuel until either A) the pesky varnish problem goes away or B) I stick 8 new injectors in ´er and be done with it.
Stiction happens on the oil side of the Injector spools, not the fuel hence the main reason to run a certain boost , howes, fuel treatment, if your stiction is bad in the cold morning start then gets better when warm then monitor FICM cold

Old 11-25-2015, 11:04 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
I think you seen a good ficm when you tested on the first post, what about now with your new Scan Gauge?

Old 11-26-2015, 08:01 AM
Pierre Comeau
Freshman User
I think you seen a good ficm when you tested on the first post, what about now with your new Scan Gauge?
The FICM readings is this:

FVP 13.5-14.0V
FMP 48.0-48.5V
FLP 13.5-14.0V

FMP is the same KOEO, cranking and running.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:54 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The FICM readings is this:

FVP 13.5-14.0V
FMP 48.0-48.5V
FLP 13.5-14.0V

FMP is the same KOEO, cranking and running.
Those numbers all look good. Just keep watching them on the cold starts and ensure that they don't drop off from there.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ed

Old 11-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Pierre Comeau
Freshman User
Thanks Ed! Same to you!

Old 11-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Pierre Comeau
Freshman User
Okay! Seems there might be a happy ending here but I still remain sceptical until tomorrow morning.

My issue so far was:

Missing, spuddering, hesitating [I]after[B] cold start and warm up.
Getting better as the drive progresses.
Getting back to spuffering and bucking after standstill.

The fact that my truck started great in cold weather got me thinking that stiction wasn't the issue, either on the oil side or the fuel side.

FICM voltages were great across the board.

ICPV, ICP and IPR values were top notch.

Turbo runs fine.

Haven't got my fuel pressure gauge yet but everything leads me to think it is not the issue since plenty of power and coal at hard take offs and hits 120 MPH no problem.

Now, today, I went to the parts store to pickup 15 liters of Rotella T6 5W40 and filters for my truck. I took everything along with my Rev-X to my friends shop. He agreed to let ME do the work because I wanted to check EVERYTHING as I did it i.e. air in the fuel bowl. TURNS OUT there was! So I got one of his guys to cycle the key to watch for bubbles, nothing came out for the 1.5 seconds it took to fill the bowl and make a little bit of a spill. So I put the top filter in and left the oil filter out until I drained the oil. I wanted to put the Rev-X in the filter bowl.

So I lift the truck up and unscrew the lower fuel filter cap. It wasn't hard to unscrew AT ALL! I inspect o-rings, put the new one on, screw the cap down to where it can't turn no more, then tighten it just a little. I feel that was more than it was before I took it off. I then drain the oil, put the plug back on, drop the truck, in goes the Rev-X, then the oil filter then the fresh oil.

I then get in, cycle the pump 4 times, start it, park it outside to pay the 20$ to use the shop and leave right away for a road test.

NO SPUDDER!!!

Rev-X can't be THAT instant. So now, I am suspecting that loose fuel filter cap underneath. Turns out, the truck has been acting up between the last two services and they were performed by the same guy. I'm thinking he just did the old "screw the cap ´til it touches plus one quarter turn on the o-ring.

But like I said, I'm still sceptical. We'll see tomorrow how it works.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you need to install the blue spring upgrade if you haven't already. Low fuel pressure will kill injectors, same as air in the fuel.

Quick Reply: Spuddering succotash