Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

The "I hate FTE" shop truck build

Old 10-24-2015, 05:46 AM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "I hate FTE" shop truck build

So... I was just going to do a budget build on a shop truck... a 74 F250 2wd plain jane stick shift
"Blue Boy"

I got it without a motor (It had a 390) for nothing. I grabbed it because it had a straight rust free body and had been sitting for years in a construction company yard. I traded it for a mint 67 F series windshield and associated chrome... I call it free because I was going to scrap the trade material.

I need another project like a hole in the head.. I currently have four other trucks going on simultaneously, all completely disassembled and being put back restored. My f600 shop truck is 95 percent done... the B2 is a driver.. the f600 4 x 4 supercab project is in mockup.. the f250 4 x 4 supercab has a blasted and painted frame.. and the cab is blasted and being disassembled sitting in the shop

So I was just going to throw a motor ( a 300) into this truck, do an easy lowering job and make it a parts getter.. restoring it at some future time after we leave Kalifornia

BUT NO... FTE had to go and get in the way and put a bug up my rear making the marbles in my head spin around... again...... always tantalizing me with other builds by dent evil wizards... so.. today.. after just mocking up the rear lowering shackles and spring hanger,,, (and yes those ARE frame "kiss marks" made from the "spell casting" air chisel.. always wandering off on their own when I least expect it)

I dutifully and carefully primed all the spring locations... wouldnt want rust now would we....

...and building the disc brake rear,,

and then sectioning an f600 bumper and tying it into the hitch I installed......

(I love seeing other FTE members recycle and re-purpose parts)

this happened......

and then this

ALL OF YOU ARE TO BLAME....

Ok... so what was supposed to be just a 'lil weekend project has turned into a total restoration.... that will take months

Truck will be old school.. entirely flat black,, devoid of any chrome or other shiny things you evil dent wizards put on here to catch my naked eyes
Turbo 300
And a frame I can eat off of....

Oh well,,,, at least Im getting really good at taking these trucks apart....

BTW four stars for Huskys new vibration reduced long shank air chisel. It went through the rivets like butter ..so fast I did the entire truck in 15 minutes .... 49.00 at Home Despot..... sure.. why not a 500.00 Ingersol Rand... but I can do ten trucks and throw this one away...

Oh and I forgot.. when I told my wife.. "Honey.. when you come home from work today it might be a little messy around the shop ..and would you mind if I left some parts out?.. She replied " Sanford and Son has nothing on you.. but I dont care".... now my friends.. thats an FTE woman any of us could love.....

Old 10-24-2015, 06:39 AM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have a sickness my friend. We are all a little sick but You are much worse then most. We all wish we were as bad as you.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:38 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
Great story, yes we are all to blame and yes we will ALL come over this weekend and help work on it.

Wait a minute it was a FREE and complete truck and all you needed to do what put a motor in it, well that changes everything. lol Maybe only half will show up today.

"Project Overwhelmation" is a standard experience that is caused from the inability that 4 outa 5 monkey trainers have determined is caused by a mental override of the sound of a air chisel (bought at a good deal and that works great) to commit to just one Ford truck project. And the inability to verbally pronounce the word "no".

Also having an "enabler" AKA the wife, and her acceptance of said "Project Overwhelmation" (PO for short) makes the saying of the word "no" even harder, but it all makes it more fun. lol

Looking good on all PO items, stay motivated, and if you stall come back here for more ideas, I mean heck they are all FREE.

Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2015, 07:45 AM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
You sure are starting with a nice truck! That looks just about as clean as they come! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

David

Old 10-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Great story, yes we are all to blame and yes we will ALL come over this weekend and help work on it.

Wait a minute it was a FREE and complete truck and all you needed to do what put a motor in it, well that changes everything. lol Maybe only half will show up today.

"Project Overwhelmation" is a standard experience that is caused from the inability that 4 outa 5 monkey trainers have determined is caused by a mental override of the sound of a air chisel (bought at a good deal and that works great) to commit to just one Ford truck project. And the inability to verbally pronounce the word "no".

Also having an "enabler" AKA the wife, and her acceptance of said "Project Overwhelmation" (PO for short) makes the saying of the word "no" even harder, but it all makes it more fun. lol

Looking good on all PO items, stay motivated, and if you stall come back here for more ideas, I mean heck they are all FREE.
Wait... Is that a Chevy hiding in that pile of perfection?could it be...sacrilege...

All I can say is... Beautiful

Old 10-24-2015, 06:44 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Regarding the air chisel damage pic.

Ha, Usually the pitting on the frames I work on catch the air chisel right away when it slips off the rivet... and then goes right through it cause the steel has flaked but was hidden by some lame PO who threw a little paint on it so I wouldn't see it.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:53 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
"hate" us now, thank us later.

Btw, this is my budget build when I started and when it was finished.... But there was a whole lot in between. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ide-build.html

Old 10-24-2015, 09:18 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
Originally Posted by Notmeofficer
Wait... Is that a Chevy hiding in that pile of perfection? could it be...sacrilege...All I can say is... Beautiful
No chebby junk hiding in my herd line, Ford all the way!

Thanks, lots of hard work to get that row of beauties. And a lot of very hard work by a fellow FTE member on ol red to get it where it is these days.

I am working hard on the rest....when I can.

Attached Images    
Old 10-25-2015, 01:19 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Ford had a better idea, and now we get to use it as an alibi for more trucks. Recycle, reuse, or restore, hell of an idea.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I think blaming all us rough neck, blue collar guys here is a way to cover your sickness.. Hell I gotta blame my OCD on someone too

Old 10-25-2015, 09:17 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdeshler
I think blaming all us rough neck, blue collar guys here is a way to cover your sickness.. Hell I gotta blame my OCD on someone too
I'm a white collar,.. but I usually still have dirt n grease under my fingernails every Monday morning....It's really who I am.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Oh there you go again... fte demons.. posting up shiney pictures of your truckensteins ... making me feel guilty

So.. momma was on her own today as I was under the sandblast positive pressure mask

I hate rust.. and I hate dirty frames.. and the rest of you FTE demons possessed me today so I tried to blast you all away with sand...

It didnt work...

But now the frame blasted clean and primed... black tomorrow,,, color of the day and every piece of this truck..low gloss black

If you look carefully on the passenger side of the frame, just in front of the forward rear spring hanger you will see a hole that ford didnt put there... this is where the turbo exhaust will exit the truck.. come through the body and be flush with a slash cut. The area is plated with a109... which I happened to have laying around the shop from a job.. plenty tough for a brace... and lots of overlap with z cuts this area will be stronger than the rest of the truck.. since the truck will be lowered one thing that wont get hung up is the exhaust system... and since its a six one nice 3" all the way back.. then Im thinking a 4 inch after it gets outside the frame... and maybe even shiny metal stainless tip..

Naw... black.. everything midnight low gloss hotrod black

Shiny stuff keeps bewitching me

Sorry..picture software messed up tonight.. will post picture later

Old 10-25-2015, 10:00 PM
fordtruckguy78
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Notmeofficer
So... I was just going to do a budget build on a shop truck... a 74 F250 2wd plain jane stick shift
"Blue Boy"

I got it without a motor (It had a 390) for nothing. I grabbed it because it had a straight rust free body and had been sitting for years in a construction company yard. I traded it for a mint 67 F series windshield and associated chrome... I call it free because I was going to scrap the trade material.

I need another project like a hole in the head.. I currently have four other trucks going on simultaneously, all completely disassembled and being put back restored. My f600 shop truck is 95 percent done... the B2 is a driver.. the f600 4 x 4 supercab project is in mockup.. the f250 4 x 4 supercab has a blasted and painted frame.. and the cab is blasted and being disassembled sitting in the shop

So I was just going to throw a motor ( a 300) into this truck, do an easy lowering job and make it a parts getter.. restoring it at some future time after we leave Kalifornia

BUT NO... FTE had to go and get in the way and put a bug up my rear making the marbles in my head spin around... again...... always tantalizing me with other builds by dent evil wizards... so.. today.. after just mocking up the rear lowering shackles and spring hanger,,, (and yes those ARE frame "kiss marks" made from the "spell casting" air chisel.. always wandering off on their own when I least expect it)

I dutifully and carefully primed all the spring locations... wouldnt want rust now would we....

...and building the disc brake rear,,

and then sectioning an f600 bumper and tying it into the hitch I installed......

(I love seeing other FTE members recycle and re-purpose parts)

this happened......

and then this

ALL OF YOU ARE TO BLAME....

Ok... so what was supposed to be just a 'lil weekend project has turned into a total restoration.... that will take months

Truck will be old school.. entirely flat black,, devoid of any chrome or other shiny things you evil dent wizards put on here to catch my naked eyes
Turbo 300
And a frame I can eat off of....

Oh well,,,, at least Im getting really good at taking these trucks apart....

BTW four stars for Huskys new vibration reduced long shank air chisel. It went through the rivets like butter ..so fast I did the entire truck in 15 minutes .... 49.00 at Home Despot..... sure.. why not a 500.00 Ingersol Rand... but I can do ten trucks and throw this one away...

Oh and I forgot.. when I told my wife.. "Honey.. when you come home from work today it might be a little messy around the shop ..and would you mind if I left some parts out?.. She replied " Sanford and Son has nothing on you.. but I dont care".... now my friends.. thats an FTE woman any of us could love.....
what did you pull the rear disc`s from ?

Old 10-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by fordtruckguy78
what did you pull the rear disc`s from ?
73-87 chevy k20 rotors.. brackets all over the internet.. eldorado calipers

Old 10-26-2015, 02:19 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
I'm here on this FTE stuff to retox not detox.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "I hate FTE" shop truck build