HELP! 1989 F250 5.8 Runs great then dies after warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 PM
kgrasso
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! 1989 F250 5.8 Runs great then dies after warm

Hi Guys new to this forum. Figured I try this out and see what I can learn. I know people in these forums are very helpful and I am very appreciative. As I get to know the truck I will be of use to others here to. Thats my goal so with that.....

I just purchased a 1989 F250 with a 5.8 motor. Great truck for its age. Ive owned other Ford trucks in the past and my Dad had them as a kid. Love them.

When I bought the truck from the 2nd owner it had a problem so I bought this truck with the problem figuring with my past knowledge I could fix it. Not the case. When I got the truck it would start fine and run really great but when it got warm it seems it would die and I would have to wait till it was cooled down to start back up and again it would run fine. Well the problem got worse and worse and now it wont run at all. It will run on starter fluid so that leads me immediately to the fuel pumps. I say that plural because none of them will run it seems. I did a fuel pressure test at the shrader valve at the top of the motor on the fuel rail and I get no pressure at all when I turn the key. The relay in the engine compartment seems to be working to as I can hear it. I put a new on of those on to to be sure. Leads me back to the pumps again. I replaced the external pump on the fuel rail and I know thats working. I replaced the fuel filter to while I was there.

Is it possible to have BOTH fuel pumps in the front and rear tanks go at once? Seems unusual. My other F150 with dual tanks worked great and when the back tank pump went I could just switch it over to the front tank.

Well I am ready to drop both tanks and replace both pumps but I would love so experience and input before I go through the time and maybe unnecessary expense.

Thanks Guys!
Ken

Old 10-25-2015, 10:08 PM
Logan Lucas
New User
have you inspected TBI if not open butterfly if TBI is black and sooty run seafoam through.. im having simiar issue

Old 10-25-2015, 10:39 PM
kgrasso
3rd Gear
Solved it....

Originally Posted by Logan Lucas
have you inspected TBI if not open butterfly if TBI is black and sooty run seafoam through.. im having simiar issue
I had my wife sit up in the cab while i crawled around under the cab as she turn the key so I could hear all the pumps and pull each fuel line to see exactly where the failure was taking place. The problem was 2 fold. One was the pumps had failed even though they sounded like they were working. When i dropped the rear tank and pulled the pump the rubber hose connecting the pump to the line exiting the tank had literally melted off. This caused the gas being pumped to never make it out of the tank.... I replaced the whole pump and sending device and reassembled. After getting all that done it still wouldnt start... frustration isnt the word here. So got the wife back into the cab and started the while process again but this time I was getting fuel so i double checked the high pressure pump on the frame rail which was replaced before i got the truck. Sure enough it was running but not pumping fuel up through the filter to the fuel rail topside. Figured it was another bad pump I bought another. When I went to install the new pump I noticed that the one already installed was wired incorrectly. Once I reversed the wires the truck started right up. Problem solved but boy what a pain. Lesson learned.... double check wiring first. I didnt put it in so i assumed it was right. The front tank pump was good but because the frame rail pump was miss wired it made everything fail as it pushing fuel in the reverse direction back to the tanks. The rear tank pump was bad so....

Lesson learned. Hope others learn from this. Ill be back!

Thanks for the responses.

Ken