Sponsored by: Moser

K and N air filter question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Mikes150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K and N air filter question?

Hello all. I have ran a K and N air filter in all my vehicles. Except my 2012 Ford F-150 stx 5.0 liter. Because the dealer didn't recommend it. Does any body have this filter in their truck? And have you had any issues? I would really like to put premium products in my truck. Thanks!!!

Old 10-22-2015, 10:09 PM
dohertycm
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have it in my 2014 ECO...

But get this... The dealer didnt recommend it because they said the oil would cause the sensor to go bad...
So I opt'ed to get one of their special filters...that they recommended...AND IT WAS OILY'ER THAN A K and N... I TOOK IT OUT AND PUT A K and N in... I had one on my 2011 as well....NO ISSUES... You just have to remember that it only takes a very little oil to make it work..MORE OIL IS BAD...LESS OIL IS GOOD

Old 10-23-2015, 12:25 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Lightbulb

• increases the likelihood of oil contaminating the MAF sensor.
    *Over time even minute oil contamination decreases power and MPG.
    When it's REALLY EXCESSIVE it will be intuitively obvious.
  • any increase in CFM comes at the expense of filtration.
  • cleaning is a PITA. *And, Yes, I've done it on MAS equipped vehicles.
  • Motorcraft, OEM air filters ...
    • meets|exceeds engine air intake CFM requirements.
    • good for 30,000+ miles (depending upon conditions).
    • ABSOLUTELY NO possibility of MAF sensor oil contamination.
    • dispose and replace maintenance.

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 10-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do an oil analysis. Some of these let a lot of dirt through. I put an S&B on mine and I'm getting elevated silicates in my OAs now. Mine is an Ecoboost though, so maybe the turbos are adding to the problem.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:18 AM
Scum Frg
Junior User
I've used them in the past in other vehicles but have opted not to use in my truck.

Here is the why....the vehicle is engineered and programmed to take in and utilize a certain amount of air. No air filter will change that. The stock motorcraft filter will flow more air than the engine air intake CFM requirements.
Thus....what are you really getting with a K&N other than less filtering in exchange for more air flow that your vehicle will not use.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Richie B
Freshman User
I installed a K&N filter in my 2012 F150 with the 5.0 liter the day I got it, and have had no problems with it. My truck has 39K miles on it and it delivers 19 mpg in town and 21mpg on the highway.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:33 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sucker born every minute.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:17 AM
Mikes150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
Sucker born every minute.
Please explain.
-Mikes150

Old 10-26-2015, 07:31 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
If you really want the best, look for an oiled (tackified) paper filter like the Purolator pure one.

There are others, but that's the one I've used in the past.

Oil analysis on an engine equipped with k&n do not show an improvement in filtration.

Jmo

Old 10-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Scum Frg
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mikes150
Please explain.
-Mikes150
what are you really getting with a K&N other than less filtering in exchange for more air flow that your vehicle will not use. The vehicles computer manages the amount of air intake and usage.....The filter will not change that.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Scum Frg
what are you really getting with a K&N other than less filtering in exchange for more air flow that your vehicle will not use. The vehicles computer manages the amount of air intake and usage.....The filter will not change that.
You may have a point in a completely stock, naturally aspirated vehicle. However, what you DO get (and it may come at a cost of filtration quality) is a reduction in restriction. I have had a turbocharged vehicle for the last 8 years, and that can make a big difference. Less restriction to air in, less restriction to air out, and tuning changes make HUGE differences in direct injected, turbocharged engines. It's less on non-turbo engines, but it still makes measurable differences. Is it worth the time/$$$ on non-turbo engines? I'll let individuals that have them make that call, but on my truck, there is a definite seat-of-the-pants and dyno proven difference.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:02 AM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Good reading........ http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
K&N......complete waste of money on a stock road driven vehicle. K&N may actually flow more air.....but it's at the expense of filtering.
IF the factory filter was restrictive and ate up HP and fuel mileage don't you think Ford would have figured that out?
Exactly how much horsepower can one expect to add to a factory stock engine with only a swap from a factory filter to a K&N.....or are you speaking about an increase from whatever turbocharged vehicle you've had for 8 years?

Old 10-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by David W Jones
Good reading........ K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
K&N......complete waste of money on a stock road driven vehicle. K&N may actually flow more air.....but it's at the expense of filtering.
IF the factory filter was restrictive and ate up HP and fuel mileage don't you think Ford would have figured that out?
Exactly how much horsepower can one expect to add to a factory stock engine with only a swap from a factory filter to a K&N.....or are you speaking about an increase from whatever turbocharged vehicle you've had for 8 years?
Are you addressing my post? I don't have a K&N, but I have used other aftermarket filters, as I said. I have seen vacuum gauge results showing that there is indeed a difference between a stock filter vs. other options. And again, as I said, I have no direct knowledge of how this applies to non-turbo engines. I only mentioned it because I have noted an increase in silicates after swapping to my S&B, which is very similar in design to the K&N. I mentioned this because I think it might be wise to monitor your silicate levels with an OA after making intake/filter changes to ensure you're not dusting your engine.

Also, intake/exhaust changes are usually done in preparation for other mods like tuning to take advantage of more efficient flows. Doing just an intake and/or exhaust on a non-turbo engine is probably going to result in negligible results. In other words, I'm agreeing with you.

On a direct-injected turbocharged engine (like modern diesels or Ecoboost engines), it's very a different discussion.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Sportscape
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used K&N filters in the past and was happy with them. In my 98 f 150 I towed at it's limits, and the difference with the K&N filter in hills was very noticeable. There always is a vocal group against K&N I'm not sure why, but my experiences have been positive. I would also recommend looking up how oil bath filters work. They have been used for years in automotive and industrial applications because they filter better with less restriction.
The reason they aren't used from the factory is that they add to maintenance requirements. I think Ford SVT uses them on some of their projects. I know a local Ford dealer that stocks special Mustangs, Shelby's and Rousch and I've seen K&N filters on those. Finally for something factual the truck is a few years old but the test is resent.
1997 Ford F-150 Lariat Restoration - Tune-up and Fluid Change

Old 10-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
gDMJoe hit all the points I was going to state (tried to rep.. in rep jail). No need for me to repeat.

Originally Posted by Mikes150
I would really like to put premium products in my truck.
The aftermarket will always market their products as "Premium" and try to prove to the general public that they are "better" and justify the up-charge.... but hey, it's your money.

I spent money on my Borla exhaust KNOWING that I wouldn't actually gain any performance, did it just for the sound.

Quick Reply: K and N air filter question?