1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

One truck, a liftime of enjoyment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 06:15 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
One truck, a liftime of enjoyment.

Its no secret that when I purchased my truck I didn't have a clue about anything mechanical or restoration. Because of my ignorance and the fact that I wanted to, and did drive it during most of the time I've had it, there are many things I did early on in my build that I need to go back and take care off as I go. The more I learn the more I realize what needs to be redone. Just yesterday while I was working on replacing the cab mounts I looked up and saw what I once thought was a weep hole on the bottom of a cab corner. Hmm, at this stage of the game I realize its more than likely a pin hole caused by rust thinning the metal. Oh well the way I look at it is I will have enough things to do on this F1 to keep me occupied for the rest of my days. I did do one smart thing early on which was to take pictures of any hole that I wasn't sure about at the time with a piece of tape where I wrote its location on the truck, EI r.r. cab corner, lower front bottom passenger door skin etc.. These are things that most likely would be fine untill I die, but even as a novice I just cant leave something for the next owner to deal with. I want it as perfect as I can get it. Anyhow the subject of this thread is the enjoyment working on these things will provide over the years, as I really do enjoy working on this old truck. And I cant sign out without mentioning that without the camaraderie found here on FTE it would not be half as enjoyable, and thank you all for that. I hope you all enjoy the ride as much as the destination as I do. Rock on my friends.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:20 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
You're one of the guys that make it a great place Jimmy.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only way I know you is through your posts, I think you are one heck of a guy. Always positive and always take advice in the way it is offered. Happy Motoring.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Great post Jimmy,. Keep enjoying your truck. Another thing to think about is if the last owner thought like you do, you probably would not be here because he would have made it perfect. Think about how boring that would have been, so may I suggest drive it, enjoy it as it is ( it looks great) and only fix what is necessary, that way the next owner will have the privilege of working and repairing an old truck. He/she would probably become a member and also enjoy the camaraderie of FTE.

You can spend your time waxing, driving and planning NorCal get togethers.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice sentiment Jimmy. There always seems to be something new to do and if not I can always find a friend who needs help. Working on these old trucks is a great way to spend time.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:17 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Hey Jimmy,
I like what Mike said about helping friends (hint hint). I don't live that far from Paradise and the thing I seem to never have is enough time for are my projects, so you are always welcome to help at at my place and I already know you do great work.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:35 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrk on all those things one at a time - It will keep you from watching Judge Judy

Old 10-23-2015, 04:58 PM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Its no secret that when I purchased my truck I didn't have a clue about anything mechanical or restoration. Because of my ignorance and the fact that I wanted to, and did drive it during most of the time I've had it, there are many things I did early on in my build that I need to go back and take care off as I go. The more I learn the more I realize what needs to be redone. Just yesterday while I was working on replacing the cab mounts I looked up and saw what I once thought was a weep hole on the bottom of a cab corner. Hmm, at this stage of the game I realize its more than likely a pin hole caused by rust thinning the metal. Oh well the way I look at it is I will have enough things to do on this F1 to keep me occupied for the rest of my days. I did do one smart thing early on which was to take pictures of any hole that I wasn't sure about at the time with a piece of tape where I wrote its location on the truck, EI r.r. cab corner, lower front bottom passenger door skin etc.. These are things that most likely would be fine untill I die, but even as a novice I just cant leave something for the next owner to deal with. I want it as perfect as I can get it. Anyhow the subject of this thread is the enjoyment working on these things will provide over the years, as I really do enjoy working on this old truck. And I cant sign out without mentioning that without the camaraderie found here on FTE it would not be half as enjoyable, and thank you all for that. I hope you all enjoy the ride as much as the destination as I do. Rock on my friends.
That's a great post, thank you for that.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:56 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
This post brings up an interesting thought. I restored my '49 F-2 20+ years ago, actually I started working on it 30+ years when I got out of high school. At the time no one seemed to be working on the Bonus Built trucks. Some of the things I did way back then have come back to me now that the truck has gotten to the age that it is needing normal repair for any vehicle that is 25-30 years old. Last year I had to replace the lower radiator hose. Well, I installed the hose 30+ years ago when the truck was just a frame, no sheet metal. I had a heck of a time getting at the hose clamp screw. It was easy without the sheet metal on it. I have found other things I did back then and have brought back many memories from back then. Like the things my dad helped with. He passed many years ago but it's nice to touch something I know he helped with. Kind of brings dad back for me.