Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Connecting Rods: 6.9/7.3 NA vs. IDIT vs. 94-00 PSD forged

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:51 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Red454sedgwick
Justin you may also want to look at other rods, if you are good enough friends with your machinist to barrow his parts book. My friend has 900hp 460 with rods out of a 250 in line 6 motor. My book says that the 460 journals are close enough to work, but wont tell me length or wrist pin.
I killed some time the other day trying to find some kind of connecting rod reference for a comparison by dimension. I was hoping to find a rod from one of the more popular gas engines that's close enough. Of course stock gas rods likely aren't strong enough. But the thinking being that a really nice set of aftermarket rods can be had for hundreds instead of thousands. No joy yet though.

Of course if those PSD rods are all good I don't see any issues coming up with those. Justin made all that power on NA rods, if he made enough to brake PSD rods he'd be on the cover of a diesel mags.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:53 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Too short, 460 is 6.6 while 7.3 is 7.1"

Old 10-22-2015, 11:15 PM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Too short, 460 is 6.6 while 7.3 is 7.1"

Can you look up the length rod I-6?

bruteford is right Justin will need a break through in the fuel department to break a psd rod.

I was jus suggesting to look around, sometimes you get lucky

Old 10-23-2015, 03:06 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anything is possible with enough machine work... im sure about any big block rod could be made to work. Smaller journals though, so would have to grind the crank, could offset for more cubes, then run a shorter rod. Wrist pins are also too small, but could be bored and pins pressed in. Real issues would be the big end is too narrow on the gasser rods. $500 in rods for 1500 in machine work probably isnt that great of a deal....

Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
GREAT INFO!
i suppose the rod length and the wrist pin are identical with the PSD VS the IDIT?

i think if i was gonna do some custom work like this, id be looking at a set of the forged I beams, but thats some mula!!!

another question i have is, with all the block flex in the IDI's at higher HP is it really feasible to do the rod swap?

not trying to go against your grain, out of the box thinking is what makes the world go round.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:42 PM
typefour
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
The PSD rods are ~.130" wider than the IDI rods at the journal end. So you have to narrow them to use on the IDI crank.

While the rods are .130" wider, the bearing is only .076" wider than the IDI bearing. However, the IDI bearing is overly narrow. I snapped one of the old PSD rod bearings into the IDI rod, and it clears the chamfer on the radius side, and nearly comes flush on the other side. There is no reason it wouldnt work.
That would be great if they will work, but, the wide bearings may likely interfere with the generous radius on the crankpin. some bearing chamfer work may be needed.
And will likely be on a case by case basis.
Diesel crankpin fillet radii is critical for strength.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:15 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
I killed some time the other day trying to find some kind of connecting rod reference for a comparison by dimension. I was hoping to find a rod from one of the more popular gas engines that's close enough. Of course stock gas rods likely aren't strong enough. But the thinking being that a really nice set of aftermarket rods can be had for hundreds instead of thousands. No joy yet though.

Of course if those PSD rods are all good I don't see any issues coming up with those. Justin made all that power on NA rods, if he made enough to brake PSD rods he'd be on the cover of a diesel mags.
I doubt youll find any gasser Rods to work, the wrist pins on Diesels are significantly bigger than any gas engine, even the N/A stuff is.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:25 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IDIoit
GREAT INFO!
i suppose the rod length and the wrist pin are identical with the PSD VS the IDIT?

i think if i was gonna do some custom work like this, id be looking at a set of the forged I beams, but thats some mula!!!

another question i have is, with all the block flex in the IDI's at higher HP is it really feasible to do the rod swap?

not trying to go against your grain, out of the box thinking is what makes the world go round.
The Rod Length, Wrist Pin, and Journal diameter are all the same. I sent my rods to my CNC guy to have him mod them to IDI specs. Im sure he can write a program that will work for both the Factory PSD stuff, as well as the aftermarket OTS PSD forged/milled stuff. If it works out nicely, I will offer them on the site, both as a send in option or core included. At the very least, it will give an Off-the-shelf alternative to having to find turbo rods for a stout bottom end build.

As far as the Block flex goes, Im not one who believes there is a whole bunch of block flex going on at higher levels. If a block is flexing enough to pop freeze plugs, your going to crack it right up the middle anyway. I think the ol' freeze plug story is a result of poorly installed freeze plugs, pushing combustion into the cooling system, or a combination of both... But anyway, thats my opinion until we get there again.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:34 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by typefour
That would be great if they will work, but, the wide bearings may likely interfere with the generous radius on the crankpin. some bearing chamfer work may be needed.
And will likely be on a case by case basis.
Diesel crankpin fillet radii is critical for strength.
Here are a few pics of both the IDI bearing and PSD bearing installed on the IDI rod.

Straight Edge on the chamfer, its hard to tell from the pic, but the straight edge isnt touching the bearing, meaning its highly doubtful the radius will interfere.

IDI bearing in the IDI rod.

PSD bearing in the IDI rod.

As you can see, the extra material is mostly on the inner side of the rod, with only a little extra on the chamfer side. I measured the edge to the tang on each, and the PSD bearing was .107", and the IDI was .100".

I think we are in good shape with this, Im going to run a set in the bronco engine.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good...good.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:13 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed

Old 10-29-2015, 07:29 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Like the info. What about the piston itself? What's the biggest difference? I know they are, just curious.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:58 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kla94
Like the info. What about the piston itself? What's the biggest difference? I know they are, just curious.
Well for one thing the top has a big crater with a cone shaped center for burning DI spray pattern instead of the butterfly depressions for flame spreading under the pre-cup throats on our engines.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:49 AM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
I knew that there were differences. I've never actually seen a powerstroke apart.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:25 AM
typefour
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Here are a few pics of both the IDI bearing and PSD bearing installed on the IDI rod.

As you can see, the extra material is mostly on the inner side of the rod, with only a little extra on the chamfer side. I measured the edge to the tang on each, and the PSD bearing was .107", and the IDI was .100".

I think we are in good shape with this, Im going to run a set in the bronco engine.

Perfect, lets just say this bit me on a VW years ago.

Quick Reply: Connecting Rods: 6.9/7.3 NA vs. IDIT vs. 94-00 PSD forged