1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Hauling dilemma....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:29 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hauling dilemma....

I found a nice 284 International tractor for sale. I'm thinking about buying it, but I have an issue with getting it home. This issue is more of a snowball affect than not.

I have access to trailers to pull it home, however I'm not home and won't be for a couple months yet. With that being said The only people I can get to pick it up for me don't have access to a trailer, and they can't use mine, as the hub has sheared off of one of the axles.

I wonder if its small enough to load in the bed of my truck. Not being home, I cant measure the bed of my truck to find out. The truck of choice is my 97 F350, which has the long bed.

The tractor is 55.5" wide with a wheel base of 68.9" I figure it will fit with the tail gate off (Its a gooseneck gate, and it either has to be shut, or off completely. I figure with the tractors front wheels touching the front of the bed, the rear tires should be in the bed as well with only the back half of the tractor hanging out (the three point hitch.) I don't know if its narrow enough to fit the front tires between the wheel wells though.

The other hurtle to it would be loading, and unloading it form the bed if it did fit. I'm worried it will roll over unloading. The truck is at stock height for a 2wd, but thats still a decent enough grade I would worry about.

Whats your alls opinion on it?

Old 10-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
On second thought I know it won't fit in between the wheel wells as a sheet of dry wall wont..........I guess I'll have to find another rout......

This one isn't the exact one, but an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:19 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
Where and how's it pay?

Old 10-22-2015, 10:26 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vertrees
On second thought I know it won't fit in between the wheel wells as a sheet of dry wall wont..........I guess I'll have to find another rout......

This one isn't the exact one, but an idea of what I'm dealing with.

For a few extra bucks paying one of the guys here aka ^^^^^ isn't a bad option...

Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
We used to haul Cubs in the back of my dads truck all the time.
They are the same basic sized tractor and about the same weight.

He always had a sheet of 3/4" plywood in the bed. We would just slide the plywood out over the tailgate to give it a little more support and drive em in.
They front tires would JUST squeeze between the wheel wells.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:18 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
On second thought I know it won't fit in between the wheel wells as a sheet of dry wall wont..........
Drywall and plywood are the same size unless you have some custom oddball sizes. They both fit in the bed between the wheel wells.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I found a nice 284 International tractor for sale. I'm thinking about buying it, but I have an issue with getting it home. This issue is more of a snowball affect than not.

I have access to trailers to pull it home, however I'm not home and won't be for a couple months yet. With that being said The only people I can get to pick it up for me don't have access to a trailer, and they can't use mine, as the hub has sheared off of one of the axles.

I wonder if its small enough to load in the bed of my truck. Not being home, I cant measure the bed of my truck to find out. The truck of choice is my 97 F350, which has the long bed.

The tractor is 55.5" wide with a wheel base of 68.9" I figure it will fit with the tail gate off (Its a gooseneck gate, and it either has to be shut, or off completely. I figure with the tractors front wheels touching the front of the bed, the rear tires should be in the bed as well with only the back half of the tractor hanging out (the three point hitch.) I don't know if its narrow enough to fit the front tires between the wheel wells though.

The other hurtle to it would be loading, and unloading it form the bed if it did fit. I'm worried it will roll over unloading. The truck is at stock height for a 2wd, but thats still a decent enough grade I would worry about.

Whats your alls opinion on it?
Since you have to lift it to get it in the truck , lift it high enough to get the front wheels ahead of the rear wheels of the truck

Old 10-26-2015, 03:29 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
Thank you for the input guys. I had not been able to reply earlier, as I spilled coffee all over my key board........I am using an external one at the moment, but have to get my lap top in the shop to fix its key bored.

I figured out how to get it home in a much better manner using a Uhaul car carrier. Its long enough to fit it all the way on it, and narrow enough to fit the 284 International on it as well.