Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Alright so glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 12:17 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright so glow plugs

Alright so same guy, lots of questions. I've found some stock Motorcraft ZD9 glow plugs for $9.61 on RockAuto, the cheapest I found anywhere. Anyway I figured I'd go ahead and replace the Relay switch as well, is this something that should be done now so I'm starting with all new hardware or should the original be fine? Also, I read somewhere that unless a Motorcraft relay switch is used, the Motorcraft plugs won't work properly. This seems like BS to me but that's why I'm asking.

Last thought, if I should replace the relay, should I go ahead and replace the wiring harness from the relay to the plugs as well? I don't wanna be back in here tearing stuff apart when I could get it done right the first time.

Thanks again

Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As far as the switch goes... it's up to you. The factory one, like everything else will fail eventually. I opted to bypass it and go manual, this way I control how long I glow depending on temperature of the motor, saves plugs. Using a non-motorcraft won't necessarily simply not work however, given the significance of glowplugs to our motors and the incompetence of parts-store suppliers, it simply isn't worth the risk of saving a few bucks and risking $70 of plugs and a starter.

Again, the wiring harness just depends on it's condition, any kind of corrosion is not a good thing and could cause uneven amperage distribution.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:31 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
I've heard some about going manual but other then "don't let anyone drive your truck" don't know much about it. How does it work just a switch to the dash? Would I save any money? (always a good motivator )

Old 10-21-2015, 01:33 AM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
save money? don't know

Originally Posted by bluemtn95ford
I've heard some about going manual but other then "don't let anyone drive your truck" don't know much about it. How does it work just a switch to the dash? Would I save any money? (always a good motivator )
My 6,9 has a manual system of a sort,a switch that is variable like a turbo timer controller, quickly adjustable to 0 secs when hot engine, and marked for 10 secs duration for cold starts. No after start cycling function for warmup from cold so I just manually hold a fast idle, maybe 1000 or so rpm until smooth, only a few seconds. Usually smooth and vacuum arrive together and I move off. There is a big standard relay in the system to switch the glow plugs. I'm fine with this as it's only me to start it cold and the only other guy to drive it is giving it the required 6 month safety check to be legal to drive on New Zealand roads. A nicely functioning automatic system is ok, but maintaining one here could involve waiting for a parcel from stateside!

Old 10-21-2015, 01:35 AM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
whoops

Originally Posted by southern-old-bold
My 6,9 has a manual system of a sort,a switch that is variable like a turbo timer controller, quickly adjustable to 0 secs when hot engine, and marked for 10 secs duration for cold starts. No after start cycling function for warmup from cold so I just manually hold a fast idle, maybe 1000 or so rpm until smooth, only a few seconds. Usually smooth and vacuum arrive together and I move off. There is a big standard relay in the system to switch the glow plugs. I'm fine with this as it's only me to start it cold and the only other guy to drive it is giving it the required 6 month safety check to be legal to drive on New Zealand roads. A nicely functioning automatic system is ok, but maintaining one here could involve waiting for a parcel from stateside!
0 secs, 0 glow, forgot to say

Old 10-21-2015, 11:42 AM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by southern-old-bold
Gotcha, so was that a kit that you or the PO installed or just a custom job or did Ford add those stock for you New Zealanders? lol
I wouldn't mind a manual system but unless its just a kit I can do I'm not sure I want to take the time to fab it up. I'm in WA state so it can get cold but I've never had an issue starting with the original system.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:53 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Is there a reason you think the controller is bad? Or just trying to do it in one shot?
Most likely the glow plugs are out and the controller/relay are still good. If you want, try replacing just the glow plugs for now and see how it works. No sense in replacing parts that are still good.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:07 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
I had trouble with my controller and went to the pushbutton. Nice thing about the pushbutton is when the truck is already warm or it's hot outside, you don't have to glow it much or at all.

Oh, one other tidbit- after I replaced my IP, on an 80-ish degree day after the truck had been sitting all day (so completely cold) I could fire it up without even glowing it once. Thought that was pretty sweet.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:56 PM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
quite right

Originally Posted by bluemtn95ford
Gotcha, so was that a kit that you or the PO installed or just a custom job or did Ford add those stock for you New Zealanders? lol
I wouldn't mind a manual system but unless its just a kit I can do I'm not sure I want to take the time to fab it up. I'm in WA state so it can get cold but I've never had an issue starting with the original system.
We get the bits and pieces no one wants down here! It was already installed, glowplugs are easy to check, read the stickies, that will help diagnose,and then you will find more info on the particular fault you are chasing. Thanks to the guys who put the stickies up, they are a lot of help

Last edited by southern-old-bold; 10-21-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 10-21-2015, 05:07 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Is there a reason you think the controller is bad? Or just trying to do it in one shot?
Most likely the glow plugs are out and the controller/relay are still good. If you want, try replacing just the glow plugs for now and see how it works. No sense in replacing parts that are still good.
I don't have a reason to think its bad. However this is a donor motor I purchased out of a 91 truck with something like 176,000 miles on it. I did start it about a month ago (September) and it fired right up first crank. For those of you who haven't been following my other threads I'm just going through the motor: replacing gaskets, water pump, O-rings, and whatever else I feel like doing now/needs to be done while the motors out.

That being said I have no idea how these plugs or the controller will act this winter so I am on the fence as whether or not to replace everything or just the plugs or maybe nothing until I have an issue?

Thanks again guys

Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
I would recommend checking out the glow plugs and making sure they all work, and that they are all motorcraft/beru plugs.
If they pass, leave them in until they fail. Its pretty easy to replace the glow plugs with the engine in the truck. The only exceptions being the one under the turbo if its a turbo truck, and any none beru plug that swells and gets stuck.

So pull them all out to while you have the access, and test them. Then install with neverseize and don't worry about it until they actually cause a problem.
If you want, replace them and keep the olds ones for spares, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:17 AM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Can I use a Voltometer to do this? And as far telling whether or not they're beru I'm stumped so any insight is welcome

Old 10-22-2015, 08:40 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Have you read the glow plug sticky yet? If not look there

Old 10-22-2015, 07:05 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
if you already have the new glow plugs, just put them in and say better safe than sorry.
it is cheap insurance.
as for the controller, if it is working than wait until it dies. i replaced the original relay back in 1990 because i had a spare large constant duty relay. it finally dies on me this spring. so i bought a new stancor and put that on my 02, and put the 8 year old stancor from the 02 in the 88 because that is now a plow truck only. the 02 is my daily driver.