Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Air Compressor Dilemma

Old 10-19-2015, 05:42 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Air Compressor Dilemma

Currently looking for a compressor to use with automotive air tools, and small cabinet sand blaster, etc., trying to decide which is the best route to take. I currently do not have 240v circuit to the shop so I am looking for a compressor with the best bang for the buck on a 120v circuit. Came across a 2-3 options; I like the oil belt driven compressor over the oil-less but in looking into the specifications a couple are listed as 'duel voltage', except for the Ingersol Rand, and I am not clear what the 'duel voltage' option means?

Thought I would check with member's who may have experience with the list of compressors I have posted? ** I am open to any other suggestions. Appreciate comment/suggestion!!

Sears.com

Sears.com

Sears.com

Old 10-19-2015, 06:34 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,579 Likes on 1,288 Posts
"Dual Voltage" is the ability to run on 120v or 240v with a simple wiring change. That would be a good option if you can eventually run the 240v circuits.

IR units are well regarded. There are several air compressor threads here if you scroll back enough pages.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:16 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
"Dual Voltage" is the ability to run on 120v or 240v with a simple wiring change. That would be a good option if you can eventually run the 240v circuits.

IR units are well regarded. There are several air compressor threads here if you scroll back enough pages.
I was not clear about the dual voltage compressors; imagine there would be some CFM and Duty Cycle loss switching to the 120v but as long it is not significant I would likely migrate to the duel voltage, oil, and belt driven compressor. I intend running a 240v circuit in the future although I have found intending and doing is another matter. Appears I now need to decide on a particular brand, I am not a 'user friendly' power tool operator; however, I owns just about every brand of power tool made and I have not experience any problems with any of them; including Sears products. As best as I can determine, the links I posted are similar in cost and specifications that I am willing to spend, at this time, now appears to be a matter of reviewing the specifications? I have had very good experience with Dewalt power tools but also read good reviews about IR, particularly their compressors; although, perhaps another issue with their smaller shop variety?

Appreciate the input, thank you!!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
belt drive, oil crankcase are the only way to go. .. for Air Work.

I have an IR 3L3SS 60 gallon... a real good unit for the Home Garage.

240 volt if possible.. a lot less motor heat.

remember the Duty Cycle... exceeding it can shorten motor and pump life.

retired auto mechanic... using air tools for 47 years...

Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,081 Likes on 2,151 Posts
i would pass on those units and just go for a 220 volt 60 gallon tank compressor.
the larger motor and tank will cut power use almost in half, and they cost the same as those small units.
i picked up a last years floor model 60 gallon ingersol compressor from lowes 3 years ago for $399.
the money save by purchasing the larger compressor offset the cost of running the 60 amp 220 line out to the garage.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:13 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Agree, a 220v circuit would be the way to go, as an ole timer, and a back yard mechanic for the past 50 plus years, being limited to a 120v circuit has been a major pain in the backside. Trenching up, down, and over 100' of very difficult terrain would be extremely difficult, and costly; not to mention it would require upgrading the main panel. Having said that, it has given me food for thought, before deciding on a 120v compressor I should have an electrician check out the site to determine if I have any options?

Thanks to all, appreciate the suggestions!!

Old 10-20-2015, 12:44 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
another option is to get a 10 KW generator, and then when you need to run the compressor plug it into the genset.
this way you have backup power in case of a power failure.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:25 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Have discussed replacing our 5k generator, which is only used on occasions when there's a power outage; although it works fine pumping 220v thru the house I am fairly certain the 5K is not sufficient to operate a compressor under a load. I am going to have an electrician scope it out but whether I have a 220 v circuit installed, or not, the next time these ole bones have a problem starting the 'pull cord' generator on a cold winter day, I am going shopping!!

Again, appreciate the comments and suggestions!!

Old 10-20-2015, 05:08 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i have a 50 year old 10KW with 20 hp "onan screamer" power.
it will produce 50 amps at 220 volts, and run my whole house, or my garage with lights, air compressor, and plasma cutter running.
the 6 hp 60 gallon tank compressor only uses 14 amps in run mode. i think it is 20 amp start up.

i will never own another pull start anything after getting spoiled with the electric start generators, welders, snowblowers, and lawn mowers.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by daveengelson
Have discussed replacing our 5k generator, which is only used on occasions when there's a power outage; although it works fine pumping 220v thru the house I am fairly certain the 5K is not sufficient to operate a compressor under a load. I am going to have an electrician scope it out but whether I have a 220 v circuit installed, or not, the next time these ole bones have a problem starting the 'pull cord' generator on a cold winter day, I am going shopping!!

Again, appreciate the comments and suggestions!!

the very reason I replaced my Coleman generator (24 years of service) ...

tried to start it in 20 degree weather... messed up my shoulder....

got a Generac GP7000E with spin on oil filter.... 7K and electric start... used with 90 hours.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:04 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
one day i will find a diesel. but for now i have to settle for the old onan, or the miller bobcat welder, which is also a 10 KW genset. the miller also has a 2 cylinder onan 20 hp gas engine on it.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:25 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Intend keeping an eye out for a higher output generator. I signed up for a monthly email newsletter when I was shopping for a tractor, it's published by Ag Resources' and I would describe it as a forum similar to 'auto traitor' or Craig's list on steroids. The entire newsletter covers everything imaginable from farming equipment, agriculture equipment, trucks of every variety, and power tools for sale, to include a section on generators, etc. I have not paid much attn. for past couple months but intend to in the future.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:38 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Before putting this thread to rest; in checking Ingersol Rand, noticed they offer same/similar size compressors, or generators, with either Honda or Kohler engine and thought I would check if member's, who may be familiar with them, for suggestions or comments. I am not particularly using friendly with my outdoor power equipment and impressed with the smaller Honda engines? Also curious what is meant when item is described as a Compressor with Alternator?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One option you might think about is get the nice big compressor and then swap out the motor for a 2-3 hp 120V unit. Keep the old motor just in case you ever do run a 240V line back to the shop. Most of the difference between a high CFM compressor and an only slightly cheaper low CFM unit is in the pump not the motor. You can get a 2HP 120V motor for $100-150. Just something to keep in mind if you find a smokin deal on a 240V compressor. As a side note Northern Tool has their Quincy units $100 off and free maintenance kit until 11/7.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:31 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Pwrgeek
One option you might think about is get the nice big compressor and then swap out the motor for a 2-3 hp 120V unit. Keep the old motor just in case you ever do run a 240V line back to the shop. Most of the difference between a high CFM compressor and an only slightly cheaper low CFM unit is in the pump not the motor. You can get a 2HP 120V motor for $100-150. Just something to keep in mind if you find a smokin deal on a 240V compressor. As a side note Northern Tool has their Quincy units $100 off and free maintenance kit until 11/7.
Thank you for the information, certainly food for thought, I will check out their website later today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Compressor Dilemma