1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

To air spring or not to air spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To air spring or not to air spring

I posted this in 2007-2014 forum but I think everyone here can still help because it applies to these trucks too.

Hello everyone!

I'm a former 2005 Expedition owner. Long story short, that truck no longer exist anymore and I am now looking at another in the 2008-2014 year range.

The primary use for this truck will be people transport on long distance trips. I don't plan to use it for major hauling although it will most likely transport a 7-8k lb boat I'll be purchasing next year, for a little while. But the primary use will be people transport all across Texas, which can include a lot of bumpy back roads at times.

I didn't have the load leveling rear air springs on my 05 but I've been interested in what difference they make and if they are worth the cost. I want the best ride for my clients as a good portion of them are elderly or not in great health.

Of course I've heard a good bit about how they suck when they fail and it's time to figure out why and what to fix. But to be frank, I don't care. If it's a couple grand every few years to keep it going, so be it. The truck will earn me far more than it will cost me if she preforms greatly, therefor, let the greatness come even if it is at great costs.

So can anyone with experience with these systems chime in and help me on my decision as to which I would be looking for it this situation? Or even advise on aftermarket setups as long as they maintain close to stock height.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-20-2015, 09:46 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Absolutely, positively, without a doubt go with the air suspension. Not only does it maintain level regardless of the load but it helps to maintain leveling while cornering, plus it lowers the truck when turned off to help those elderly passengers get in easier the next time.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:30 PM
2trux
Mountain Pass
I have the air suspension on my 97 and would not get rid of it. I have towed many load with it and love the self leveling.
As you can imagine from its age I have replaced parts of it, all the air springs, and the compressor. It has been mostly trouble free and worth the extra cost of repairs.
The air springs wear out and leak after many years, but springs sag after many years.
I replaced the compressor because of worn out isolators, (I didn't know then you could replace just the isolators.) but now I have a spare.
I can't address the ride difference as I have never owned a sprung Expy.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Originally Posted by alloro
Absolutely, positively, without a doubt go with the air suspension. Not only does it maintain level regardless of the load but it helps to maintain leveling while cornering, plus it lowers the truck when turned off to help those elderly passengers get in easier the next time.

Those are all very good points, especially the last one and I'm glad you mentioned it. I didn't even think about that, but that would be awesome along with the power deploying running boards. It would be the best feature on the truck if I could wire a switch to the front and just kick it off to lower it while it leave the truck and A/C running. After all, this is Texas and with my planned color of Black on black for this truck, I'm not gonna want to have the truck off until the clients get in. Just imagine that... Yikes.

So air springs are on the list.

Lets talk about modifying them to lower the truck while it's still running.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 AM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford'05HG
Those are all very good points, especially the last one and I'm glad you mentioned it. I didn't even think about that, but that would be awesome along with the power deploying running boards. It would be the best feature on the truck if I could wire a switch to the front and just kick it off to lower it while it leave the truck and A/C running. After all, this is Texas and with my planned color of Black on black for this truck, I'm not gonna want to have the truck off until the clients get in. Just imagine that... Yikes.

So air springs are on the list.

Update: i was able to test a 10 expy el for a couple of days and right after test drive a 10 navi l and have to say the air suspension is the way to go. The expy though smooth is a bit too stiff over some bumps and firm. The navi by comparison glides over the road, no way the same. The navi though firm has way better small bump absorption and better road isolation in general. I put it here because as mentioned before i felt the same about the second gen models. Now i dont know if the expy will ride the same with air springs as i never been in an air sprung expy before.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by 2trux
I replaced the compressor because of worn out isolators, (I didn't know then you could replace just the isolators.) but now I have a spare.
You could always eBay it to recover some of your cost.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:25 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Ford'05HG
I would say the easiest way to do that is to run some type of bypass/override for the ride height sensors.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:38 PM
5.4T
Elder User
could just shut it off have the truck lower , then turn it on again with the door open and the truck will not rise until the door is closed

Old 10-21-2015, 11:02 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by 5.4T
could just shut it off have the truck lower , then turn it on again with the door open and the truck will not rise until the door is closed
He wants to leave the truck running for the A/C but keep the suspension down. With a door open in the Texas heat and a black truck, I don't know how well the A/C will be able to keep things cool.

Perhaps an even easier solution is a center off double throw kill switch for the compressor relay and the air release solenoids. That way the truck could be dropped all the way down onto the bump stops and make entry by the elderly that much easier.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That'll turn the air suspension light on and possibly disable the system until restarted.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
That'll turn the air suspension light on and possibly disable the system until restarted.
Life isn't perfect.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
What if I just flick the key to start from run? That used to reset everything in my 05 without turning off the engine or damaging the starter.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:24 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4T
On my 2002 the air compressor doesn't turn on until the doors are closed AND it is shifted into gear. Don't know if that is true with the later models or not.