Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:27 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hehe, what I MEANT to say was Dextron III with Mercon. But I sit corrected. I was asking because I have ordered a new trans that can handle my motor's torque and power. They said they would tell me what fluid to use but I wanted to see what the group said about Mercon V

Old 11-18-2015, 06:20 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
definitely go with mercon 5.it's a much improved fluid.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:39 AM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up a Flareside F150 w/ 5.8L, AOD, 4X4 & the OD light is blinking (didn't notice a pattern), the Spedo & Odo aren't working, and it has a hard 1-2 & 2-3 shift as well as no 3-4 (OD) shift.
Any thoughts? Sorry for hijack no one has responded to my post. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain's 97 Diesel
I just picked up a Flareside F150 w/ 5.8L, AOD, 4X4 & the OD light is blinking (didn't notice a pattern), the Spedo & Odo aren't working, and it has a hard 1-2 & 2-3 shift as well as no 3-4 (OD) shift.
Any thoughts? Sorry for hijack no one has responded to my post. Thanks.
You have no wave train from the PSOM to the PCM Computer.
Why, maybe bad fuses if the Odo is not lighting up.
If the Odo is lighting up maybe no input VSS train to the PSOM.

In other words you could start a new Thread with more information.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to be clear on a couple of things...for the Mercon V fluid, I am looking for a label that just says "Mercon V" and not mentioning Dexron III like I have seen in the past, correct?

Is it OK to mix the older type Dexron III / Mercon with the newer Mercon V in my transfer case? A good amount leaked out when I removed the drive shaft but I wasn't planning on cleaning out the transfer case to get all the old stuff out

Old 12-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by RIKIL
Just wanted to be clear on a couple of things...for the Mercon V fluid, I am looking for a label that just says "Mercon V" and not mentioning Dexron III like I have seen in the past, correct?
I've never seen a fluid that says DEXRON III / MERCON V. I don't think one exists.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I've never seen a fluid that says DEXRON III / MERCON V. I don't think one exists.
Oh Good Lord man...

Yes RIKIL, to answer your question .

Use (insert image of bottle of Mercon V)

Rather than (Insert image of bottle Dexron III/Mercon)

Yes, they will mix. Just like if you mix synthetic oil with a conventional oil.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Might want to check what your coolant looks like. 4 quarts of ATF is a lot to lose with no obvious leak.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:57 PM
jaagen
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Might want to check what your coolant looks like. 4 quarts of ATF is a lot to lose with no obvious leak.
It leaked out when he remove the driveshaft.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Brain's 97 Diesel
the OD light is blinking (didn't notice a pattern), the Spedo & Odo aren't working, and it has a hard 1-2 & 2-3 shift as well as no 3-4 (OD) shift.
Does the interior light work? My truck came with a switched interior light. What the guy had done is pulled the fuse and put a switched fuse holder in so he could shut the interior lights off when the doors were opened...don't know why?!?!? Anyway when the interior lights were in the off position the speedo would not work and the trans did some strange stuff and the OD"off" light was flashing on the shift lever ****.
Hope this helps

Old 02-17-2020, 04:14 PM
welder1985
4wd Low
The entire limp mode is IN the ECU. It commands a higher pressure, and depending on what the problem is, it can limit what gears to use, and even how much torque the engine can produce.
Hello Mark!

I am having this exact problem with my ‘90 F350 7.5L (245k mi) w/E4OD (140k mi).

A little background, There has been a idling problem, I replaced the Distributer because the sensor threw a code and I idle control valve which has helped a little. The current E4OD is a Jasper Reman and this trucks 3rd trans. Over the last couple of years the trans would have a slip or shift issue where I would need to let off the gas to get the transmission to shift up a gear when accelerating or whatever.

Well a week ago I topped off the ATF (1qt low and needed servicing) and drove 20mi back home with it unloaded. About a mile from home, after stopping at a light I hit the accelerator and proceeded to go up the hill side when it suddenly had some kind of pop/jerk or something. My truck started slowing down but was still moving up this hillside very slow (I have never been able to my Truck to go above 30/35mph since). I stopped and checked everything. There wasn’t anything out of the ordinary, all the fluids and oil were normal. From there I was able to limp or limb it a mile home.

The next day I checked for codes and got 11, 41 and 67. After which I cleared them by disconnecting the battery for a few mins. From there I serviced the Transmission, replaced the MLPS and after went for a test drive which didn’t make a difference. Over the last week I have been reading a lot of your replies and others as well. After all the reading I replaced the TPS and cleaned the contact connectors on transmission and other sensors too. I keep checking for codes after test driving it, but nothing comes back except for 11. I pulled the ECU and checked the inside for anything loose, nothing appeared wrong. I took another test drive last night after replacing/cleaning/checking everything on the trans. At first it kind of worked, then after about 1/4 of a mile it was back to where it was before, having a hard time doing anything and still in the limp mode.

What am I missing here!?!

Donald
P.S. Thank you in Advance!

Old 02-17-2020, 06:45 PM
welder1985
4wd Low
The entire limp mode is IN the ECU. It commands a higher pressure, and depending on what the problem is, it can limit what gears to use, and even how much torque the engine can produce.
Hello Mark!

I am having this exact problem with my ‘90 F350 7.5L (245k mi) w/E4OD (140k mi).

A little background, There has been a idling problem, I replaced the Distributer because the sensor threw a code and I idle control valve which has helped a little. The current E4OD is a Jasper Reman and this trucks 3rd trans. Over the last couple of years the trans would have a slip or shift issue where I would need to let off the gas to get the transmission to shift up a gear when accelerating or whatever. Once in a great while it would have a shutter while cruising on the highway.

Well a week ago I topped off the ATF (1qt low and needed servicing) and drove 20mi back home with it unloaded. About a mile from home, after stopping at a light I hit the accelerator and proceeded to go up the hill side when it suddenly had some kind of pop/jerk or something. My truck started slowing down but was still moving up this hillside very slow (I have never been able to my Truck to go above 30/35mph since). I stopped and checked everything. There wasn’t anything out of the ordinary, all the fluids and oil were normal, nothing was leaking underneath. From there I was able to limp or limb it a mile home.

The next day I checked for codes and got 11, 41 and 67. After which I cleared them by disconnecting the battery for a while. From there I serviced the Transmission, replaced the MLPS and went on a test drive which didn’t make a difference. Over the last week I have been reading a lot of your replies and others as well. After all the reading I replaced the TPS and cleaned the contact connectors on transmission and other sensors too. I keep checking for codes after test driving it, but nothing comes back. I pulled the ECU and checked the inside for anything loose, nothing appeared wrong. I took another test drive last night after replacing/cleaning/checking everything on the trans. At first it kind of worked, then after about 1/4 of a mile or warming up it was back to where it was before, having a hard time doing anything and still in the limp mode. I just checked the computer and 11 is the only code coming up.

This is getting very frustrating! Any ideas?

Old 02-17-2020, 06:53 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

When the truck won't go over 35 MPH is the engine revving high or not? Is the truck a 4x4?

Old 02-17-2020, 07:23 PM
welder1985
4wd Low
Not, it’s 2wd

Old 02-17-2020, 08:04 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Since you don't have a transfer case we can eliminate that as the cause.

But what about this question?
When the truck won't go over 35 MPH is the engine revving high or not?

Quick Reply: E4OD Limp Mode