Best shock option.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Good listener
I tried out the RS9000XL's towing our fifth wheel last weekend, and the difference was amazing. Very smooth and well dampened with the rears set at 7. We didn't experience the chucking we had on some of the roads. My wife was very pleased and you know that's all that really matters!
+1

Last tow I did was with all four set to 7. 1000 times better than stock shocks.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom N OH
Yes, I did use the boots. They are in no way, shape or form watertight. At best, they only provide marginal impact protection. The biggest problem is the "black chrome" coating on the rods. It isn't much better than a plain mild steel with no coating. The Bilsteins use a REAL chrome plating. The Ranchos might be ok if you never drove in salt environments like we have up here in the snow belt.
I agree, the boots are not water tight.

I'm not sure about the "black chrome" you mention. I think my 9000s shafts were shiny silver chrome.

Thankfully I have no experience with salty roads. Hope I never do.

I did however, after reading about the adjusting mechanism rusting and freezing up, lube mine up straight out of the box when brand new. So far they still function.

I highly recommend this stuff to lube and protect metal parts.... Corrosion X

Old 04-20-2016, 07:35 PM
rossterman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I did use the boots. They are in no way, shape or form watertight. At best, they only provide marginal impact protection. The biggest problem is the "black chrome" coating on the rods. It isn't much better than a plain mild steel with no coating. The Bilsteins use a REAL chrome plating. The Ranchos might be ok if you never drove in salt environments like we have up here in the snow belt.
I too have been very happy with the rancho 9000xls we added to our f250.

Regarding the rod corrosion, the finish is called "nitro-carb" finish. It doesnt have the bright finish of chrome so looks more like a black chrome. Since we have a Rancho representative monitoring this thread, I'd be interested in a better explaination as to what exactly is used to finish the rods?

Old 04-20-2016, 10:02 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Mine are. In fact, they held a vacuum when I installed them and then let the rod extend, I had to "burp" them to let air in so they wouldn't stay collapsed.
REAL chrome rusts and pits just like any other type of chrome. Nothing particularly durable or magical about it. Though it is better than paint.
My truck and I live in the snow belt and visit the ocean regularly, though I do admit to washing them every now and then.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
Mine are. In fact, they held a vacuum when I installed them and then let the rod extend, I had to "burp" them to let air in so they wouldn't stay collapsed.
REAL chrome rusts and pits just like any other type of chrome. Nothing particularly durable or magical about it. Though it is better than paint.
My truck and I live in the snow belt and visit the ocean regularly, though I do admit to washing them every now and then.
REAL chrome is highly corrosion resistant.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
REAL chrome is highly corrosion resistant.
Nitrocarburizing hydraulic cylinder rods offers several benefits over conventional hard chrome:
  • Superior corrosion and wear resistance
  • Better oil retention (longer seal life)
  • Dimensional uniformity
  • Dent resistant - without the need for induction hardening
  • No pitting, flaking or micro-cracking
  • Environmentally friendly process
If you want to learn more, here is a good reference: https://www.ferronova.com/internatio...file/Nitr3.pdf

Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rossterman
I too have been very happy with the rancho 9000xls we added to our f250.

Regarding the rod corrosion, the finish is called "nitro-carb" finish. It doesnt have the bright finish of chrome so looks more like a black chrome. Since we have a Rancho representative monitoring this thread, I'd be interested in a better explaination as to what exactly is used to finish the rods?

I have copied information directly from the website of a company called Bodycoat. They provide about the best summary of what the process is and its benefits:
Nitrocarburizing is a variation of the case hardening process. It is a thermochemical diffusion process where nitrogen, carbon, and to a very small degree, oxygen atoms diffuse into the surface of the steel part, forming a compound layer at the surface, and a diffusion layer. Nitrocarburizing is a shallow case variation of the nitriding process. This process is done mainly to provide an anti-wear resistance on the surface layer and to improve fatigue resistance
Relative low cost;
High resistance to wear;
Excellent scuffing and seizure resistance;
Fatigue properties improved by up to 120%;
Considerably improved corrosion resistance;
Good surface finish;
Negligible shape distortion;
Predictable growth characteristics; and
Alloy substitution - plain carbon steels replacing low alloy steels.

Nitrocarburizing ? Bodycote plc

In a nutshell, chrome plating is just that, a thin plate that coats and adheres to the metal it is intended to protect, and nitrocarburizing actually infuses the surface of the metal with protective material.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
I have copied information directly from the website of a company called Bodycoat. They provide about the best summary of what the process is and its benefits:
Nitrocarburizing is a variation of the case hardening process. It is a thermochemical diffusion process where nitrogen, carbon, and to a very small degree, oxygen atoms diffuse into the surface of the steel part, forming a compound layer at the surface, and a diffusion layer. Nitrocarburizing is a shallow case variation of the nitriding process. This process is done mainly to provide an anti-wear resistance on the surface layer and to improve fatigue resistance
Relative low cost;
High resistance to wear;
Excellent scuffing and seizure resistance;
Fatigue properties improved by up to 120%;
Considerably improved corrosion resistance;
Good surface finish;
Negligible shape distortion;
Predictable growth characteristics; and
Alloy substitution - plain carbon steels replacing low alloy steels.

Nitrocarburizing ? Bodycote plc

In a nutshell, chrome plating is just that, a thin plate that coats and adheres to the metal it is intended to protect, and nitrocarburizing actually infuses the surface of the metal with protective material.
All I can say is that it sure didn't work on the 4 Ranchos I bought. I've never seen rods on shocks corrode that quickly in my 44 years on this Earth. They were wonderful shocks when new & they didn't have an excessive number of miles on them. I don't do any off-roading, just back & forth to work and pulling a camper a few times a year. I'm done with the back & forth. I know what happened in my case & everyone else is more than happy to judge from miles away without knowing the situation.