1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F100 Driveline and suspension Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:14 PM
builttodrive
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1955 F100 Driveline and suspension Recommendations

My wife and I just recently purchased a very solid 55 F100 Custom cab pickup and we are starting to brain storm about it's restoration. I will be restoring the truck myself as that is my profession. The truck will be my wife's toy since I already have a few and she wanted something of her own.

The truck has been parked for 30+ years and was just recently woke up from it's sleep and though it needs a lot of attention it runs and was able to drive and somewhat stop on it's own. The current driveline includes a 1966 Thunderbird 390FE with C6 auto and a 9" ford rear out of a torino but I'm not sure what year.

Goals for the truck will be a show truck but it will be driven. No trailer queen here!

We want the truck to ride nice with a low stance on a good looking set of wheels 17-20" most likely. I would also like to get as much width on the rear as possible. If I can get a decent size on it without tubbing that would be fine but if tubbing is needed to get a respectable wheel and tire out back I am ok with that.
We also would like power steering and 4 wheel power disc brakes.

Driveline will require an overdrive automatic and EFI for ease of use for my wife.

The possible engine candidates:

Rebuild 390 FE and use an aftermarket EFI system.

I have a late model GT500 and I have a FRPP 5.4 shortblock as an extra engine that would need a couple pistons replaced from a lean condition the 500 had at one point. Also a lot of other expensive parts to complete most of the longblock/engine assembly.

Final and most favorable option would probably be a late model 5.0 coyote engine and Auto trans.

I recently restored a 52 F1 on a TCI Chassis with a 2010 crown Vic 4.6 2V and 4r70w.
I am also not a stranger to Mustang II front ends and aftermarket 4 link style suspension. However this will be the first 55 I have tackled and could use some tips, advice, opinions, and personal experience.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:00 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Well it sounds like you may have some money, so if you can afford it, I would look at a complete chassis from any one of the many builders. It would give you everything you are looking for and get your wife's project off to a fast start which means a quicker finish, which will be better for you in the long and short run.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:02 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Oh and welcome to the forum. Add a name so we know who we are talking to and a location so others may be able to offer help. Enjoy the site, great bunch of people here.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:25 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Inside of rear fender to wall of bed is 11 inches. I went with 10 inch width tires, this leaves 1/2 inch of play on both sides of the tire that is if the wheel is centered correctly.

Welcome to the site look forward to pictures.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:09 AM
Marten
Laughing Gas
Received 249 Likes on 157 Posts
My '53 uses a kit from Flatout Engineering to put a Corvette suspension front and rear on it. Works out great. and is mostly bolt in.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 AM
builttodrive
Freshman User
Thanks for the replies guys!

Dave- I wish I had money! I'm more toy rich than anything but it sure helps to be in the business and be able to do the work yourself. This project will take some time but I like to keep the ball rolling on all my projects little by little. Unfortunately my "baby" my first car a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 I restored in college got rear ended at a stop light this spring so I also get to repair that one this winter.

Jack- 10 inches doesn't sound too bad. The truck may not need a wide tire for traction purposes but it looks good and I like a deep lip on my wheels if possible.

By the way my name is Greg. I tried to edit my profile but I was having trouble getting my name to display.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:03 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Greg, sorry to hear about the Mustang. I my first car was a Pontiac that came from my hometown of Le Mars,Ia, not far from you. But my first "baby" was a '69 Mustang Sporstroof, owned it for more than 20 years, made several magazines and the cover of CarCraft in the early '80's. Like you, toy & tool rich after collecting for 40 years. I have several irons in the fire and try to keep them all at least a little warm. If we just keep plugging along hopefully the projects get down before we are done.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 PM
builttodrive
Freshman User
Dave, thats pretty awesome! I've also been fortunate enough to have my car make the cover of mustang magazine and a couple other rides I was lucky enough to build make some magazines as well! I need to get back to the cities for the newest version of Car Craft which is now the street machine nationals since Car Craft summer Nats made a move to Wisconsin.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:22 AM
builttodrive
Freshman User
Well it looks like the 390 is out of the picture for sure. I believe I have it sold! Now what Modular engine do I got with and what chassis should I choose? Or should I use the stock chassis with suspension upgrades?

Old 10-25-2015, 12:25 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Personally, I'm a fan of using the stock chassis and modifying it, if going with updated suspension. If it were me, I'd seriously consider this...
HEIDTS SUPERIDE II 55-59 Chevy, 53-56 Ford Pickup IRS Independent Suspension - HEIDTS
It's a little more money than the typical MII kit, but worth it both for simplicity and function. It's plenty showy, too. Check their catalog for matching rear stuff.

Aftermarket rear fenders are available wider than stock to allow for fatter rubber, fyi.

Best of luck with your project. I like it.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:02 PM
builttodrive
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Welcome to the forum! Personally, I'm a fan of using the stock chassis and modifying it, if going with updated suspension. If it were me, I'd seriously consider this...
HEIDTS SUPERIDE II 55-59 Chevy, 53-56 Ford Pickup IRS Independent Suspension - HEIDTS
It's a little more money than the typical MII kit, but worth it both for simplicity and function. It's plenty showy, too. Check their catalog for matching rear stuff.

Aftermarket rear fenders are available wider than stock to allow for fatter rubber, fyi.

Best of luck with your project. I like it.
Thanks Wayne!

Do They offer a wider fenders in steel? I know the fiberglass ones are prone to spider cracks from stones being thrown from the tires.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:22 PM
builttodrive
Freshman User
Update... Spent some time on the truck today. I got a better look under it and tried to see if there was a tag on the rear end. There was not but it appears that the rear end isn't a 9" after all. From what I could find on the internet it looks to be a 9 3/8". At this point do I scrap the works or just the center section and axles? Is the housing still usable or not worth using?

Old 03-10-2018, 11:57 PM
builttodrive
Freshman User
It's been a while since my last post and a lot of things have come up along the way. Im still working on the restoration rebuild of my 70 mach 1 and that project has really snowballed. I have also moved to a new house and had my first kid so things have been busy. I sold the engine and trans out of the 55 so that is no longer a possibility. I also have a few people interested in purchasing my stock chassis but I'm no sure what to ask for it. Any ideas on a price? I think if I can sell the stock chassis I will probably purchase a rotisserie to keep it mobile and help in my restoration. I will probably use the cab and the front clip with most everything else being new. I also have a set of 04 mustang bucket seats that I have from another project that I may use for the truck.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:21 AM
SDBerg55
Cross-Country
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Greg,
Do you have any current pictures of your project? What part of SuFu are you on?

Old 03-11-2018, 11:23 AM
F100supercrew
Tuned
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
truck drive line build

I went a 1997-2000 Explorer rear--had 3:26 gears--disc brakes, TCI spring kit-- Explorer original sway bar-- Lokar emergency brake cables for original hand brake and explorer rear set-up,--I use HEIDTS front Mustang II suspension with power rack-- I use 90's Mustang GT engines roller cam I convert them over to carb, mech fuel pump-- use C-6 trans with the small bell housing a GREAT handling, safe ride and gets up and moves

Quick Reply: 1955 F100 Driveline and suspension Recommendations