2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Thoughts On All New 2017 Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:52 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
but but but, people are worried that if others think their cab is the same size as an F-150.
Because having a larger cab than the old SD is a bad thing? After driving cramped SD (some regular) cabs for the last 15 years, I'm happy they did this.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
I would have liked to have seen the cabs a little w i d e r, with more shoulder to shoulder room.

Sitting thigh to thigh with another sweaty guy is not my idea of a comfortable commute after a long day's work on the job site, and many business, both small and large alike, are cramming their crews 6 guys to a four door and 3 guys to a two door.

Looks like we'll have to wait another 20 years for that to happen though, because this cab is here to stay for a long time. The E Series van cab, introduced in 1992, is STILL getting stamped some 23 years later for the current cutaway chassis. The previous common cab F-Series, from F-150-850, kept its sheet metal from A pillar to D pillar unchanged for 17 years. Barring some bone crushing increase in statistically compared fatalities that would otherwise be survivable, this is our Ford cab for the next two decades, like it or not.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:31 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 428 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Looks like we'll have to wait another 20 years for that to happen though, because this cab is here to stay for a long time. The E Series van cab, introduced in 1992, is STILL getting stamped some 23 years later for the current cutaway chassis. The previous common cab F-Series, from F-150-850, kept its sheet metal from A pillar to D pillar unchanged for 17 years. Barring some bone crushing increase in statistically compared fatalities that would otherwise be survivable, this is our Ford cab for the next two decades, like it or not.
Not necessarily. Sharing the cab with the F150 is a good thing, as the F150 gets updated more regularly. Sharing cabs will allow Ford to update them both together and keep them both up to date. I think it's a good thing.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by tseekins
I like some rake from the front to the rear and the 2017 seems to sit up nicely in the back, that's a good thing, IMHO.

I wholeheartedly agree that a "muscle car rake" is a good thing, and never understood some people's fascination with so called "leveling kits." A higher, or even a level front end on an empty truck undermines three important practical advantages of having the rake...

1. The lower front end contributes to better fuel economy.

Everyone has seen the front air dams migrate from the race track and the salt flats to the sports cars and hyper miler hybrids, and now, even the trucks of our highways and byways. But adding to the effect of the front air dam, the lower front end and slightly higher rear end can create venturi effect, where the air that does get under the vehicle first has to "squeeze" through a constriction first, before find a less constricted area... which changes the pressure ratio of the air past that constriction, for positive effect in reducing vehicle drag.

2. The lower front end contributes to more comfort.

Most truck owners know that the rear leaf suspension is progressively variable, with only the longer more compliant leaves engaged when unloaded, while the heavier rated supportive leaves (or center sections of tapered leaves) and secondary (or tertiary) overload springs only engaging when a load is applied. As long as people accept the "look" of the rake, then I imagine that suspension desingers can continue to make the truck more comfortable by extending the amplitude of the jounce to rebound distance, giving spring stack calibrators more room to work with creating a supple ride that can also get down to business and carry the load when applied. For folks who worry that the rear bed walls are too high for their 5th wheel trailers, try not to judge until that pin weight is applied. The truck often settles fairly far down and deep once the weight consumes all the travel of the first stage of spring and starts compressing the supplemental stages.

3. The lower front end contributes to operational safety.

Everyone has seen the overloaded truck with headlights pointed up to the sky, and the front tires bouncing off the ground with little to no steering traction. Not much more need be said about that, except to say that rake we see in an UNLOADED truck often means that the truck will be just right when loaded to 75% of its GVWR capacity.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Sharing the cab with the F150 is a good thing, as the F150 gets updated more regularly. Sharing cabs will allow Ford to update them both together and keep them both up to date. I think it's a good thing.

From a business perspective, I'd rather prefer that Ford NOT change the cabs to their work trucks based on the whims of whatever design look is popular that year. What is there to keep "up to date"? A door is a door. A window is a window. They need to open and shut, and not break.

Having a prolonged design cycle allows up-fitter businesses to get a return on their investment when they make parts to specifically fit a truck body in an integrated fashion. From special doors for the handicapped, to platform rigging, to armor plating, to airport service vehicles, to fire apparatus, to ENG vehicles, to customized RV beds following factory lines, it takes an investment to make some things fit nice and tidy.

Harrison Ford Trucks in Australia recently spent almost a half million dollars making a right hand drive mold for the now out going Super Duty, so that they could give the guys down under a glove box, which they didn't have with the old Super Duty trucks made in Brazil back when Ford was officially selling Super Duties down there. And then a couple years later, poof, new design.

Stop moving the cheese, I'd say.

That's what went wrong in the years leading up 1997. During the late 80's and early 90's, when Ford resurrected the blue oval to be at the forefront of all branding (notice no blue ovals on the 70's pickups), some designer head took the oval concept as far as it could possibly go. Witness the Taurus. Not a single straight line in the last "jelly bean" iteration of that car. This flavor of the day rounding spread across all car platforms, and landed at the F150, which the commercial truck community out and out rejected.

In the mid 90's, Ford literally called a meeting of industry professionals, including those in the upfitting business, had them sign NDAs, and unveiled several body designs for the heavier duty commercial truck, one or more of which looked just like the then forthcoming jellybean F150. It was new. It was modern. It was rejected by the industry professionals.

A small business owner (as opposed to leasing) of a fleet of trucks sees the value in having a significant number of years of consistency with body part interchange, especially with functional parts like cab closures, windows, windscreens, seats, etc. Leave the design of the day to be expressed in personal cars.

Notice the 2017 F-650 and F-750 cabs still have the current Super Duty cab. I doubt any fleet operator is complaining about that.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Mike Kelton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1999.5 F350 7.3 with a BTS tranny....I will be hopefully upgrading next year to the 2017...figured last one last me this long with no problems except water pump, tranny and go go pedal...next one will be my last I'm close to 50..... I like all the new stuff on the 2017...i'm ready to get a new truck for my toy hauler but want to wait till the 2017...my truck still looks like new, runs great, never let me down...but after 16 years, will be 17 next year...ready for my last new one.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
From a business perspective, I'd rather prefer that Ford NOT change the cabs to their work trucks based on the whims of whatever design look is popular that year. What is there to keep "up to date"? A door is a door. A window is a window. They need to open and shut, and not break.

Having a prolonged design cycle allows up-fitter businesses to get a return on their investment when they make parts to specifically fit a truck body in an integrated fashion. From special doors for the handicapped, to platform rigging, to armor plating, to airport service vehicles, to fire apparatus, to ENG vehicles, to customized RV beds following factory lines, it takes an investment to make some things fit nice and tidy.

Harrison Ford Trucks in Australia recently spent almost a half million dollars making a right hand drive mold for the now out going Super Duty, so that they could give the guys down under a glove box, which they didn't have with the old Super Duty trucks made in Brazil back when Ford was officially selling Super Duties down there. And then a couple years later, poof, new design.

That's what went wrong in the years leading up 1997. During the late 80's and early 90's, when Ford resurrected the blue oval to be at the forefront of all branding (notice no blue ovals on the 70's pickups), some designer head took the oval concept as far as it could possibly go. Witness the Taurus. Not a single straight line in the last "jelly bean" iteration of that car. This flavor of the day rounding spread across all car platforms, and landed at the F150, which the commercial truck community out and out rejected.

In the mid 90's, Ford literally called a meeting of industry professionals, including those in the upfitting business, had them sign NDAs, and unveiled several body designs for the heavier duty commercial truck, one or more of which looked just like the then forthcoming jellybean F150. It was new. It was modern. It was rejected by the industry professionals.

A small business owner (as opposed to leasing) of a fleet of trucks sees the value in having a significant number of years of consistency with body part interchange, especially with functional parts like cab closures, windows, windscreens, seats, etc. Leave the design of the day to be expressed in personal cars.

Notice the 2017 F-650 and F-750 cabs still have the current Super Duty cab. I doubt any fleet operator is complaining about that.
I personally would rather have the roomier 2015 Aluminum cab on my 13 F650, than the cab it came with.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:37 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
cab

I think the superduty is wider then a f150. So how does a superduty share the same cab? Yeah more leg room but what about shoulder room?

Old 10-23-2015, 08:32 PM
1972fordhighboy2
Junior User
I agree the super duty cab has been the same since 99 till current super duty. The f150 has changed the bodies a few times since. 98-03,04-08,09-14. And 2015 newest one.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by donovan
I think the superduty is wider then a f150. So how does a superduty share the same cab? Yeah more leg room but what about shoulder room?
Because the F150 has been widened twice (04 & 15) leading up to the launch of the new SD. F150 & SD cabs are exactly the same width externally now. 79.9".
See:2016 Ford F-150 Full Size Pickup Truck | Exterior Specifications | Ford.com
And: 2016 Ford Super Duty | View Exterior Specifications | Ford.com

Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Being 5'9" tall, the current superduty cab is just fine for me, if the width will be the same inside as my superduty,(like was posted above) i dont see a problem with cab sharing.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:27 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is the steering wheel smaller? Looks like it. I hope so, current one is too fn big.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:17 AM
SD Dually
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the new Super Duty pretty much all around, but I don't care for the new mirrors, especially the beveled corner, the vertical badge seems it would be harder to read.
What I really don't like is the solid front bumper on the XL models, no cut-outs for the fog lights, this makes it look like a really cheap plastic toy.
Some mixed feelings about the dually fenders, kinda feel like the squareness should have came all the way out and do away with the round flare.

JMO

SD Dually

Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
If this design lasts 16 years like the last one, that's not a lot of movement. I'm 100% on board with trying to keep frame hard points the same from the cab back for as long as possible, but the overall redesign was at the correct time in the life-cycle, and if they don't mess with it for 10+ years that's another well timed cycle.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
A lot of positive thoughts here. Interesting. I am not a fan. I think it looks confuses. It looks like 150 and 250 reproduced. I think the cut away options look good. The boxed frame seems good, will rust on the inside though. The old C frames were easier to care for in rusty areas. I love the Al. I was hoping they'd do that. Didn't cut as much weight as I was hoping though.
I think this is proof the HD truck market is expanding beyond businesses.
My main hope is that the power stroke guys did some work. Cummins is now at 900 ft lb (sounds absurd!) If ford can bump it up some more that's be great, but I've heard the added hp helps it beat out the old Cummins.

Quick Reply: Thoughts On All New 2017 Super Duty