Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hpop 7.3, need help#

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Hoothooters
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hpop 7.3, need help#

So I have a 99 f350 7.3 with an oil leak which I'm guessing is coming from the hpop. I did read my dcts and said hpop can't remember exact #. Anyways Im going to get a new hpop and don't know if I need to get a stock or aftermarket one and what kind. I have a superchip, spector air intake (plan on upgrading both) and 5inch exhaust. I plan on getting new injectors that have a little power increase but not insane. I have read the adrenaline hpop is awesome do I need that? Little tight on the budget right now but I want something that will last the way I drive . Please help and ask any questions thanks!!

Old 10-12-2015, 11:48 PM
tinker934
Senior User
I did the adrenaline and the stage 1 injectors and most definitely get the DP TUNER

Old 10-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Hoothooters
New User
Yeah I planned on doing a dp tuner.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:04 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
The Terminator T500 (Riff Raff is a good source for this) seems like a popular choice also. Have you looked into the PHP Hydra tuner? Again, the flavor of the month.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:17 AM
Hoothooters
New User
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
The Terminator T500 (Riff Raff is a good source for this) seems like a popular choice also. Have you looked into the PHP Hydra tuner? Again, the flavor of the month.
Awesome just read about the terminator and seems to be a great pump and cheaper. I'll have to email rifraff some more and I have not heard of the hydra tuner.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:11 AM
Hoothooters
New User
I think im going with the terminator t500 seems like what im looking for! I don't have much knowledge about hpop but found wright ups and YouTube video on how to take out and replace a pump. I'm good at turning wrenches and not scared to dig in. Do you think I should tackle this project at home or let a shop do it, yet again tight on the budget.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Moving to the 7.3L forum.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:19 AM
William Mark Brown
Senior User
Just curious why replacing the HPOP instead of fixing it?

Old 10-13-2015, 09:49 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
The T500 would work well, but if you are just needing to fix some leaks it would save you some money.

Ford - 99-03 Super Duty 7.3L - HPOP & Related - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you are on a budget, make sure it is the HPOP that is leaking before you replace it. Using Simple Green to clean the area around the HPOP, fuel bowl, and valley will pay huge dividends toward learning where this leak is and keeping it clean thereafter will help you catch new ones before they become a potential problem. Use low pressure water and avoid sensors and the alternator.

If it is in fact the HPOP, Clay at Riffraff or Diesel O-rings have kits and instructions that will fix most leaks and save you $450.

Yes, the repair is easy enough to do at home. Just get the high pressure line quick disconnect tool or read up on how to make one. Plenty of how to's and videos available.

Do you have any way of monitoring ICP? Monitoring it will help you determine if the HPOP is healthy or is dying a slow death, which will inform you about replacement or rebuild. A really healthy HPOP will maintain 2600-2800, or more, psi while under load at WOT. Tuning can positively or negatively affect this "*" more later. If yours only maintains 2000-2200 or below, it may be time to replace it. Test the HPOP with stock tuning. Also, test the IPR to make sure it is not the culprit.

If you need to replace it, the T-500 is great and does save money! Clay can hook you up. Again, it is easy enough to do at home, get the quick disconnect tool or equivalent.
Takes about three hours the first time. Most shops will want to charge you for 6-8 hrs, at least in my area, which will put your cost above $1200.

* Tuning will be one of the most critical decisions that you will make. Some tuners control EGT's, smoke, noise from the injectors, ICP, FIPW, IPRDC, much better than others. Some tuners create smokey, hot, noisy beasts and this can cause damage due to certain components being commanded to work much harder than necessary with no resulting gains in performance. An ICP of 3400-4100 psi can cause normally healthy components to leak. Some platforms will limit you to only one or two people writing the tunes. Other platforms will have 6 or more people writing tunes for it, so, it is more than just a flavor of the month thing when you have 6 or more people that can help solve a potential problem. Some platforms charge you for each tune and each subsequent tune as you upgrade your truck. Some do not. Some have a library of tunes available free of charge for you to experiment with. Some do not.

Do your research.

Choose wisely.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:17 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
If you are thinking about tuners and such, this thread has lots of great info that has been quite helpful to a bunch of us.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t=chip+chasers

The info posted already by other member is good stuff

Old 10-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Hoothooters
New User
Thanks for all the response the reason why I think it's my hpop is I have hard starts even in 50 degrees on the first start of the day, it will sit there and smoke for about 5 mins. I cleaned up the leak a while ago one it wasn't so bad but now it's spitting out oil pretty good and is right in the area of the hpop. I read my dcts and it had a code that I can't remember I will check it in a bit and tell you guys what it was. I want to upgrade hpop because everyone say it makes a huge effect in the performance and for around 450 that's fine. I want to get a dp tuner but first I'm trying to sell some things to get money (brand new 6.0 bullydog sixgun with speedloader) I'm having trouble selling it with a lot of dumb calls :/. But anyways I do not have testing equipment nor would I know how to . I don't know a ton about this stuff but I feel like I know enough, I've been in touch with clay at rifraff for a while I'll see what he gots go say.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:09 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
That is classic cold start injector issues. This happens when the poppets on the injectors wear to the point the clearances are too much. Don't throw money at it like I did until you are certain it's the HPOP. I ended up with the Terminator T500 but it wasn't my issue. If you want a long saga about cold starts, read the thread linked in my signature.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:13 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition to injectors it could be related to glow plugs.

Since you can read codes, please do get back to us before you make a decision on a purchase.

For less than half, maybe a quarter, of what you will spend on the HPOP replacement, you can purchase the equipment and or software to monitor just about every function that you need to know in order to make an informed decision on what piece of equipment to purchase next. Search this forum for TorquePro and AutoEnginuity. There are tons of tutorials and videos that make it easy enough for even me.

Most on here would suggest that you not waste your money on unnecessary parts, that a vendor may be trying to sell you, until you possess the information that a scan tool will provide. You stated that money is tight....so why not spend it wisely.

The last part of the equation right now and in the near future is a tuner. Please do yourself a favor and read the thread provided by ExPa.

Is your glow plug relay working properly?

Injectors are expensive. Do you really need them? If you do, the next decision is new, remanned, or to have your own rebuilt.

Again, a tuner is the last thing you should purchase right now.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Hoothooters
New User
Originally Posted by jhl3
Since you are on a budget, make sure it is the HPOP that is leaking before you replace it. Using Simple Green to clean the area around the HPOP, fuel bowl, and valley will pay huge dividends toward learning where this leak is and keeping it clean thereafter will help you catch new ones before they become a potential problem. Use low pressure water and avoid sensors and the alternator.

If it is in fact the HPOP, Clay at Riffraff or Diesel O-rings have kits and instructions that will fix most leaks and save you $450.

Yes, the repair is easy enough to do at home. Just get the high pressure line quick disconnect tool or read up on how to make one. Plenty of how to's and videos available.

Do you have any way of monitoring ICP? Monitoring it will help you determine if the HPOP is healthy or is dying a slow death, which will inform you about replacement or rebuild. A really healthy HPOP will maintain 2600-2800, or more, psi while under load at WOT. Tuning can positively or negatively affect this "*" more later. If yours only maintains 2000-2200 or below, it may be time to replace it. Test the HPOP with stock tuning. Also, test the IPR to make sure it is not the culprit.

If you need to replace it, the T-500 is great and does save money! Clay can hook you up. Again, it is easy enough to do at home, get the quick disconnect tool or equivalent.
Takes about three hours the first time. Most shops will want to charge you for 6-8 hrs, at least in my area, which will put your cost above $1200.

* Tuning will be one of the most critical decisions that you will make. Some tuners control EGT's, smoke, noise from the injectors, ICP, FIPW, IPRDC, much better than others. Some tuners create smokey, hot, noisy beasts and this can cause damage due to certain component being commanded to work much harder than necessary with no resulting gains in performance. An ICP of 3400-4100 psi can cause normally healthy components to leak. Some platforms will limit you to only one or two people writing the tunes. Other platforms will have 6 or more people writing tunes for it, so, it is more than just a flavor of the month thing when you have 6 or more people that can help solve a potential problem. Some platforms charge you for each tune and each subsequent tune as you upgrade your truck. Some do not. Some have a library of tunes available free of charge for you to experiment with. Some do not.

Do your research.

Choose wisely.
I got the code it's p1211. I checked around and can't find new oil in my engine valley just old sludge. But I have some pictyres I took underneath of the oil leak.

Quick Reply: Hpop 7.3, need help#