Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How to build power for my 15k 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:34 AM
William Mark Brown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clem1226
You probably want to take a look at your exhaust manifolds as well. If they are original they are probably warped and you are loseing turbo drive pressure.

In my opinion the best solution is having the originals machined to make them flat again, about $60 in my area.
Is that something that would be replaced if I upgrade the exhaust to 4"?

Old 10-15-2015, 09:39 AM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
Robert 6401 just wondering how much your Seirra weighs and how it tows?

Old 10-15-2015, 10:22 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by William Mark Brown
Is that something that would be replaced if I upgrade the exhaust to 4"?
Nope.

10 chairactors.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:47 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by clem1226
You probably want to take a look at your exhaust manifolds as well. If they are original they are probably warped and you are loseing turbo drive pressure.
Is this really a big issue and common

I didn't do mine and it wasn't suggested as I was reworking and such.

Of course it wouldn't hurt, but wondering how likely and how much the leaks are likely to be?

ETA: I'm getting ready for uppipes in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15717757 I have some pics and got good advice and discussion about them. Apparently it is easier to change them when the exhaust (downpipe) is also removed

Old 10-16-2015, 08:03 AM
William Mark Brown
Senior User
I have the 6637 air filter and needed parts coming soon. I will also receive a 6.0 cooler next week thanks to Tkegs763!
I will look into the 4" exhaust at some local shops.

I've never been one to mod a vehicle or do any major upgrades so this is all new and foreign to me. I never even tried putting larger tires on my trucks. The vehicles I bought typically worked for me and did what I wanted so I never bothered. It is annoying that stock isn't set up really to do the job I thought it should do. So live and learn. I really appreciate all the help and support here as I learn.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Chipworkz
Tuned
Lots of great advice so far. I pull my 40" trailer that depending on how it is loaded is over 17K with no problems. Performance wise I am pretty stock but have done a lot of the basics like the 6.0 cooler and so on. You can see my sig for most of what I have done.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:46 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got back from a 3500 mi trip down south and back, towing a 31' ft. 13k 5ver. Other than a tuner glitch of my own doing, absolutely no pulling issues at all. Of course, now I'm springing all kinds of little oil, air, etc , leaks.... but I expected that. 179,XXX mi.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 AM
William Mark Brown
Senior User
I took my camper out to a local campground last night. I didn't have time to make another good data test run but I did try a few things. I kept overdrive off which helped some. I seem to have gotten Torque Pro to read EOT correctly for me now.
The truck still felt weak but it did pull better. I hope as I make some of these mods that it gets better.
Will adding the larger air filter (6637) make some difference if I don't do the exhaust just yet?
Will doing the wastegate mod help a little as well? It seems simple and something I could fairly easily and quickly.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by machmedic
Robert 6401 just wondering how much your Seirra weighs and how it tows?
GVWR is 13,800 lbs. I run real close to that regularly.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:15 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Everything helps

Some mods won't give their maximum benefits until paired with others.

Air, turbo wheel, and exhaust like each other.

Your transmission might complain a bit unless you do at least a valve body (I have the John Woods Valve Body)

A tuner really likes those things and can yield pretty noticeable results.

Of course, things like the Hutch mod, rebuilt fuel bowl and lines, injector orings and UVCH harness if necessary, and all sensors in proper working order with in-spec readings are all quite necessary for best results.

I recommend grouping some of them as we did, to save work and time.

But you can do them one at a time if you like.

And consider one thing. Although you WANT more power and performance, it DID HAUL your big camper

Old 10-16-2015, 11:25 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My Opinion only but here goes...... an older bone stock 7.3 is designed out-of-the box to go low and slow. If your expecting peppy, dog pound growling power out of these things, It ain't happening. they still pull stumps out with 'em at 15 years and 300,000 miles.(my Grandpa still does with his '96) but he's not gonna win any races with it, it's a pig. But if you fix the tired parts on her, THEN add the Gizmo's, whaa Laa! Monster truck! Then you can Tow 24,000 lb. over the Rockies....at 75mph...... drinking coffee....after spending 10,000$ on all the toys. This is the life we've chosen, Welcome to this thing of ours......

Old 10-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Speaking from experience ('99.5 F250 CC 4x4 towing 16k lb 5ver)...
A quality tuner will provide the power you need without needing to change ANYTHING on the engine. Just make sure everything is working correctly (no leaks on the airbox, no exhaust leaks at the manifold or turbo, injectors are healthy, good fuel pressure etc...)

Provided your truck is 99.5 or later....you don't need to spend money on new intakes, larger exhaust systems, turbo wheels, fuel or oil crossovers, shiny bits etc. In my opinion, your money is better spent on the transmission instead. That is the component that takes a beating when towing very heavy and yields the greatest benefits when heavily upgraded (especially if your turner knows you have a modified trans...)

What you need are:
Gauges: Fuel Pressure, Trans temp, EGT
Trans Cooler: 6.0 or equivalent
HD/modified transmission
Modified calibrations (tuner)

Budget about $4000-$5000 for the items above.

To recap..the stock engine components are perfectly fine for stock size injectors. If you have more budget....then 160cc single shot injectors would be the next place to spend your money. Make sure you get PCM calibrations designed to take advantage of the added performance benefits of the 160 singles and HD transmission. With 160 cc (or larger) injectors....then a better intake begins to make sense. Donaldson makes a good unit (Ford AIS).

Just my $0.02....

Happy towing.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:47 AM
William Mark Brown
Senior User
I have the xzillaraider/quadzilla XZT "tuner?" that, back in the day, seem to have worked well. I have a flashpaq but flashed it back to stock for now. Learning how to drive while towing is helping me also. I've found 3rd gear to be really nice and having Torque Pro to monitor temps. From what I can find the the quad tuner will give P1 20hp and P2 40hp? I can't find a manual yet but I emailed the company and hopefully they can give me some info how to use the thing.

The 6637 air filter was delivered and I have the pipe and clamps. I will try and install it tonight and see what that does for me on my next run.

The 6.0 cooler should be here Tuesday but I will need to make some plans and find out what else I should do when I replace the stock.

I would like smoother shifting so I will look into this JW valve body.

The temps are staying above 40 this week so trying to do what I can before it starts getting really cold. I need a bigger garage.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:19 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by William Mark Brown
I would like smoother shifting so I will look into this JW valve body.
The VB will make more efficient and stronger shifting. It can feel harsher, as the smooth, gentle shifting of the stock VB is accomplished by using a fair amount of slip as it shifts- robbing power and performance and resulting in more wear (especially under a heavy load).

I need a bigger garage.
I deleted your reason for needing a bigger garage. Not necessary. The statement alone is an absolute truth in any situation, requires no explanation, and is ALWAYS the right answer!!!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 AM
William Mark Brown
Senior User
HAHA!

I just found some truck champs bolt on 4 inch nerf bars for $150 on craigslist. I am hoping the guy has not sold them yet. I think they would look awesome on my truck instead of the ugly, rusted out, stock ones.

Ford F-250 Super Duty Pickup 4 inch Black Oval Tube Nerf Bars

Quick Reply: How to build power for my 15k 5th wheel