Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge smoke and massive miss

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:21 AM
drjoe171
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timbersteel
I'm betting a PCM problem.

Try to retrieve codes. If you can't get the PCM to flash out codes, then I'm betting its the problem.

My '92, 4.9 had blown leaking capacitors and it a good chance yours are leaking.

Find a way to pull and inspect it.
Yeah, no codes or cel light.
They say it may hold codes without the light on.

new news:
starts, slight miss, semi warm, hit the end of the driveway a PA uuuke, gas smoke..clears up in 30-40 seconds. almost got killed at the end of the driveway.

ran it all day today, warmd it up, locked brakes, it the gas and it puked and died but not in the middle of the road this time, idles like a dream...thinking some cold fuel enrichment circuit 'cause when it's warm, it's the truck I fell in love with.

What causes it to run super rich when cold?
hanging injector?
which temp sensor do we chk?

have new, known working computer ,distributor, iuo, pcm, ig module and everything else you can imagine and the funny parts is, I have a running truck that I can swap KNOWN WORKING PARTS from..

Nothing makes sense, other than the fact that I keep buying fords 'cause alll the parts interchange.

Surely you've all heard this before but:
fords don't die, they just get parked in odd places for inderterminent amounts of time.

Hey, anyone coming thru oregon can stay here at quietcamp.com for free.
No joke.

Thanks again

Old 10-14-2015, 01:26 AM
drjoe171
Senior User
Originally Posted by timbersteel
I'm betting a PCM problem.

Try to retrieve codes. If you can't get the PCM to flash out codes, then I'm betting its the problem.

My '92, 4.9 had blown leaking capacitors and it a good chance yours are leaking.

Find a way to pull and inspect it.
Yeah, no codes or cel light.
They say it may hold codes without the light on.

new news:
starts, slight miss, semi warm, hit the end of the driveway a PA uuuke, gas smoke..clears up in 30-40 seconds. almost got killed at the end of the driveway.

ran it all day today, warmd it up, locked brakes, it the gas and it puked and died but not in the middle of the road this time, idles like a dream...thinking some cold fuel enrichment circuit 'cause when it's warm, it's the truck I fell in love with.

What causes it to run super rich when cold?
hanging injector?
which temp sensor do we chk?

have new, known working computer ,distributor, iuo, pcm, ig module and everything else you can imagine and the funny parts is, I have a running truck that I can swap KNOWN WORKING PARTS from..

Nothing makes sense, other than the fact that I keep buying fords 'cause alll the parts interchange.

Surely you've all heard this before but:
fords don't die, they just get parked in odd places for inderterminent amounts of time.

Hey, anyone coming thru oregon can stay here at quietcamp.com for free.
No joke.

Thanks again

Old 10-14-2015, 02:10 AM
drjoe171
Senior User
Originally Posted by MFJ
Something is amiss. I had my '94 running one time and bumped/dislodged the vacuum line going to the MAP sensor. The truck pretty much shut right down.
I agree.

In sheer desparation, when and IF i got the truck to run.,
I'd unplug sensors ONE at a time.

NOthing duplicated catastrophic failure that is so obvious and catastrophically dangerous

Runs good, runs like crap,
Unplug this, unplug that...no real change.

Unplug vacuum line to map/ma?? sensor and total pukage as it seems to affect all intake vac pressure.

In my way of thinking, if it misses, unplug this and or that and it makes NO difference? can't really be THE problem.

other than messing with the convoluted cross reference of temp, speed, altitude and other psychotic info that has NO real affect on mixture or runability.

I got one of my 3 fords to run , wait, start AND run with half of the sensors unplugged. Not that it's right or recommended but in my delusional state, . unplug 50% of the stuff one at a time and if it doesn't cause trouble, MAYbe it's not the (a) problem?
Silly me for even attemptine to outsmart the computer.

So sad that I can't rip off the intake and do a progressive 2 bbl carb that gets more than 9 mpg.

I really miss the old school scope check where you can see the ignition spikes and can TELL which cylnder is misbehaving...but noooooo
gotta be error codes that mean nothing..
done with rant.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks for the thoughts and appreciate the humor whenever possible.
free camping or all if anyone comes to Oregon

Old 10-14-2015, 05:23 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you plug the vacuum line when you ran it with the MAP sensor disconnected? That will cause a high idle due to vac leak.

What do you mean by no codes? You literally got no codes, or did you get the System Pass code? If you got NO codes, then your PCM is almost certainly the problem here.

Also... you could still use a scope on that motor if you wanted. Or a vacuum gauge. Most old school tricks still work.

Codes do mean something, you just have to remember that they will only tell you what the malfunction or non-normal condition is. It's up to you to determine WHY that's happening.