6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I just want to add a subwoofer . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 AM
SCREW
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to add a subwoofer . . .

2016 crew cab, with the "sony premium" system with SYNC, navigation, steering wheel controls and all that stuff. According to Ford, it doesn't have the subwoofer the "lesser" Sony Premium system has. I found the amp, located behind the passenger side rear seat-back. It's got three multi-wired connectors. The connector with the thickest wires are presumably feeding it its main power and ground - and possibly the pre-amp outs from the head unit.

I want to tap the pre-outs from the head unit, to feed an aftermarket amplifier to power a sub, instead of converting speaker level outputs from this amp into a line-level signal. I'd like to keep all the speakers the way they are, powered by this little silver amp.

I really don't want to remove the head unit, since it controls the heated seats, navigation, SYNC to my phone, and maybe other stuff. I just want to add a (powerful) sub.

Has anyone done something similar who would be willing to offer guidance? I guess I could go prodding around with my bar graph multi-meter, until I find something resembling pre-amp outputs, but I'd have no good way to go about it. I don't want to cut any of these factory wires, if I don't have to - does anyone know where I might find some slick connectors that would allow a clean splice? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:50 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure if you have seen this post or not but maybe this will help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-upgrade.html

Old 10-10-2015, 06:43 AM
SCREW
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkuuz1
Not sure if you have seen this post or not but maybe this will help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-upgrade.html
I did. Clean install, but he used the high-level inputs of the factory sub . . . which I don't have, so I don't have such an easy to decipher option. Thanks though.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:50 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry it didn't help.

I would like to do something too.

I just need more time from all the other projects.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:16 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by SCREW
I did. Clean install, but he used the high-level inputs of the factory sub . . . which I don't have, so I don't have such an easy to decipher option. Thanks though.

Take another read through the thread, I ended up using the front woofer channels for the sub. The 'Sub' high level outputs are heavily filtered and a poor choice.

Yes there are low level signals, however they are raw and have no volume control or any processing done to them, so not really usable.

Yes you can use a volt meter to find the wires if they are a different color than the schematics I have posted. Good luck

Wish I had more time too, still need to swap out front speakers and build anonther sub level controller. have the stuff just no time