1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 f250 wandering issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 PM
mchd17
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 f250 wandering issue

2012 f250 4x4 crew cab, almost 18,000 miles. Bought used april this year with 10,500 miles. While driving straight down road, vehicle starts going right slightly, then i correct, going straight again, i can feel vehicle going left, its never ending. If i hold wheel straight, the vehicle will go left or right very slightly at sometime. Bumps in road seem to not change steering direction.

It all started with truck constantly pulling to the left. Here is what has been done by dealer.

First checked alignment.
FL caster 2.5
FR caster 2.7
Rear thrust .14

Had front caster bushing installed, caster was 2.5 both sides. Truck traveled straight, no left pull. Truck started this wandering issue. Went back to dealer. Installed caster bushing on both sides, brought caster to 3.2 both sides. Steering feels heavier, but still having wandering issue. I have noticed any sharp change in road crown really pulls truck to low side.

Seems front axle sticks out more on drivers side as well. Wondering if a bad trackbar bushing would cause steering problems like i have. Any thoughts?

Old 10-09-2015, 08:50 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mchd17
2012 f250 4x4 crew cab, almost 18,000 miles. Bought used april this year with 10,500 miles. While driving straight down road, vehicle starts going right slightly, then i correct, going straight again, i can feel vehicle going left, its never ending...
Welcome to the forum, mchd17! I want to do what I can to help straighten out that wander. Since you're new to the site, you may not have access to PMs yet. If that's the case, email your details to custserv@ford.com and put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Post here once you've sent the email; that's how I'll know to go looking for it.

Crystal

Old 10-09-2015, 10:04 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Start with the simple stuff. Check your tire pressure all around.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:31 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tires can be bad. Frame could be bent, suspension could be bent, the list goes on. Start simple with what Sarge said, air PSI. Then swap the rears for the steers see if it goes away if so the tires are NG. Have some one drive behind you to see if the truck is dog legging. If so have that looked into. Take it to a competent HD truck shop give it a look. Could be a bushing up front that everyone overlooked even with 20K on it. Worries me when you say one side sticks out. Did you have a 4 wheel thrust alignment or just a toe alignment? Next find a frame shop and have them take X and Y measurements on their frame jig. Did you get a carfax on this rig? You can pull one yourself to see if it was hit hard.
Only other thing I could think of is the power steering box or pump is doing something strange. Diesel or gas engine?
Below is a pretty decent explanation of how a SD front end should be set up. I know you don't have the death wobble but the alignment specs are what Im pointing out for you or your front end guy. Check out Buds video.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t=death+wobble

Old 10-09-2015, 02:52 PM
mchd17
New User
Crystal

I will email you this weekend, so i will wait for a return email next week.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:31 PM
mchd17
New User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Tires can be bad. Frame could be bent, suspension could be bent, the list goes on. Start simple with what Sarge said, air PSI. Then swap the rears for the steers see if it goes away if so the tires are NG. Have some one drive behind you to see if the truck is dog legging. If so have that looked into. Take it to a competent HD truck shop give it a look. Could be a bushing up front that everyone overlooked even with 20K on it. Worries me when you say one side sticks out. Did you have a 4 wheel thrust alignment or just a toe alignment? Next find a frame shop and have them take X and Y measurements on their frame jig. Did you get a carfax on this rig? You can pull one yourself to see if it was hit hard.
Only other thing I could think of is the power steering box or pump is doing something strange. Diesel or gas engine?
Below is a pretty decent explanation of how a SD front end should be set up. I know you don't have the death wobble but the alignment specs are what Im pointing out for you or your front end guy. Check out Buds video.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t=death+wobble
Thats the first thing i did, check psi, all good. Already swapped rears to steers, same. Had a 4 wheel thrust alignment done, thrust angle .14 first time .16 second time. Had the dealer measure frame for me, which they charged me for, told me everything is good. First left caster bushing they charged me for. Did not charge me when they installed both caster bushings, left and right. Autocheck came back good before i purchased vehicle. Dealer has replaced a leaking pressure hose on power steering. This is a 6.2 gas. Getting to the point i hate driving it.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:06 PM
mchd17
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, mchd17! I want to do what I can to help straighten out that wander. Since you're new to the site, you may not have access to PMs yet. If that's the case, email your details to custserv@ford.com and put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Post here once you've sent the email; that's how I'll know to go looking for it.

Crystal
Crystal

Email has been sent. I know its the weekend, hoping to hear from you next week sometime. Thanks

Old 10-12-2015, 08:28 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mchd17
Crystal

Email has been sent. I know its the weekend, hoping to hear from you next week sometime. Thanks
Thanks, mchd17! I got it this morning and sent you a reply. Let me know how things progress.

Crystal