6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My bros 6.7 BLEW UP at 52k - HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:44 PM
white 01
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My bros 6.7 BLEW UP at 52k - HELP!!!!

My bros 2011 F350 6.7 blew a hole at the oil pan, either the crank let go or it blew a rod. The dealer is giving him a hard time because it has a 6" lift with 36" tires. The service rider told him they were going to write a letter to Ford, but Ford might not warranty the repair because of the freaken lift. Are you kidding me!!!! The truck has 52K miles and every service has been done by Ford. In July 2015 with 44,876 miles it went in for an oil leak and they replaced (the tech found the turbo oil feeding lines "CRANCKED" and the connector broken also the lower oil pan gasket torn. necessary to remove turbo to replace line and repair connectors, repair threads and the lower pan gasket.) They also performed recall 14e03 to re-program PCM and TCM?
The service rider and service manager are putting together a letter to Ford for a "repair" and not a "replace" for a 52K truck that threw a rod out the bottom. That's if Ford approves it because he has a lift kit. The ENGINE IS BONE STOCK from air filter to tail pipe. Sorry for the long post but anybody got any advice? They want 17 grand for this repair. Please Help! Thanks

Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Wish you luck...not sure about the letter to Ford, seems to me the local guys make the call.

Took my Jeep in for warranty services on a failed fuel injector. Dealer turned me down because I had different FRONT fenders than OEM...FENDERS affect Fuel Injectors?????????

In my case it was not worth the fight, but for $17k I would think it is...

Old 10-06-2015, 07:04 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I sure hope that a tuner wasn't on that truck.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I think they will have a hard time denying it for the lift alone. But many 2011 trucks are now over 5 years old and out of the powertrain warranty. ( 5 years or 100,000 miles). Doesn't matter that your truck only has 52,000.

Also the lift gives them idea of checking for any tuners or horsepower enhancing parts, or checking to see if the truck was used for racing/mud/tractor pulls which would void the warranty

Let them send the letter to Ford and see what the response is. They will have to point at some reason for the denial Once they isolate why, you can plan your counter attack. You might be able to tie the previous engine work to this current failure. A a nut was dropped down into the engine etc.But it will take a tear down to find out.

On a separate note. Yes new engines installed at the Ford Dealership are about $17,000 but a long block is a LOT cheaper and you can reuse most of the parts off your current engine and probably come away for $6,000 or so depending on who you hire to install it.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
A lift should not matter. It would for suspension or tire warranty but that is not the case here.

Question that I would pose is how much does it take out of the motor to move a truck with a lift kit.

How much does it take for that same motor to tow 15K? Will the warranty be denied because you towed within ford specs?

They might need to study that one.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Any modifications to the truck must be the cause of the failure in order to deny warranty.

Meaning if the truck is still under warranty, it's covered unless it is shown that the modifications were responsible for the issue.

This is federal law.

If what was posted is true, a lift kit is not enough to be responsible for complete engine failure. Transmission, differential, steering, and/or other drivetrain components, yes I could see that. A broken rod or crank? No.

If there are other modifications, Ford will find out.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:11 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyway you could show us a picture of the damage?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Nick in Maryland
Senior User
Failure analysis findings are key.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
Early production valve failure causing a train wreck.....?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Nick in Maryland
Senior User
Early ones did have valves that broke and dropped. There are a few things that can cause a rod to throw. Complete thorough going thru it, is what's required.
I don't understand this letter deal, it's 2015. I'm not so sure he has an advocate in that dealer. "Well, we are going to write ford a letter and let them know about the lift"? Did I read that correctly? Whoa! Don't be making the lift an issue, when you do not know that it is, let alone what created, what cascade of events.
He needs to get control of that situation, in my opinion.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 PM
white 01
Mountain Pass
There is no tuner on the truck. Aside from the lift, there have been no modifications made to the truck. He bought the truck new in July 2011 and lifted it at 5k miles with new wheels and tires. That is the full extent of the mods. The truck has had every scheduled oil change and scheduled maintenance check at Ford. No one else has touched this truck. At each oil change or scheduled maintenance Ford has even rotated the tires and checked the air pressure and he's never had any issues. The extended warranty is still in effect until July 2016 since he hasn't reached 100k. The truck hasn't been used for racing/mud/tractor pulls. the only thing the truck has pulled is a 19' travel trailer 2 days out of the year. He hauls a few bails of hay every in the bed of the truck every so often, but nothing to the extent that this truck is capable of towing.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:06 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This decision is not up to the dealer and the lift should have no bearing on the engine repair. The "repair or replace" decision is the engine prior approval direction we are given by an on-line form. All it does is decide weather to repair the engine or replace it based on the required parts. Its a cost/efficiency decision. It also requires removal and disassembly of the engine before the form can be filled out. Just saying.

In all honesty, to ENSURE that the dealer is being truthful with you, I would contact Ford Customer Service and let them know you are more involved in this.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
PM Crystal. She is a Ford Customer Service rep that helps out on FTE. She can look into your case and what the dealer is actually submitting to Ford.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:24 AM
Nick in Maryland
Senior User
Absolutely contact Crystal

Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 904 Likes on 327 Posts
No one has said it, but Crystal is known as "FordService" here on the forum.

Quick Reply: My bros 6.7 BLEW UP at 52k - HELP!!!!