6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My bros 6.7 BLEW UP at 52k - HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by white 01
...The service rider and service manager are putting together a letter to Ford for a "repair" and not a "replace" for a 52K truck that threw a rod out the bottom. That's if Ford approves it because he has a lift kit. The ENGINE IS BONE STOCK from air filter to tail pipe. Sorry for the long post but anybody got any advice? They want 17 grand for this repair. Please Help! Thanks
Hi white 01,

I'd like to dig into this and see what I can do to help out. Send me your brother's information in a PM, including his full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work on some options.

Thanks for all the shout-outs, everyone!

Crystal

Old 10-07-2015, 12:21 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford has control over the decision, but if the dealer feeds them incorrect info, they can manipulate that decision. Remember they get paid more for customer pay than for warranty work.

Your best bet is to get that thing out of their shop and find a better dealer. A lift and wheels isn't going to void the warranty if procedure is followed.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
white 01
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92F350 I know that sucks that the dealer even mentioned the lift being a issue. Crystal is involved now hope she can help. I hope Ford comes though, My family has been loyal Ford owner since 1975 in the immediate families current stable 11 Fords, And the only other vehicle not a Ford is a Jeep sure hope they do him right.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Nick in Maryland
Senior User
She is always helpful.
My money is on a spun bearing.
Was it instantaneous?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:47 PM
white 01
Mountain Pass
Yes, the blow-up was instantaneous.
He was jumping on the freeway on-ramp and started accelerating. About half-way down the on-ramp he said the front-end made a very loud grinding noise with strong vibration throughout the cab. As soon as he felt the truck loose power, the "low engine oil" warning light came on the instrument cluster display. The truck died and he began coasting so he veered off to the shoulder of the freeway got out, looked under the truck and saw a puddle of oil dripping from the the engine. The oil filter was intact and still looked new because he just had his oil changed only 2,600 miles earlier.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
Yes, the blow-up was instantaneous.
He was jumping on the freeway on-ramp and started accelerating. About half-way down the on-ramp he said the front-end made a very loud grinding noise with strong vibration throughout the cab. As soon as he felt the truck loose power, the "low engine oil" warning light came on the instrument cluster display. The truck died and he began coasting so he veered off to the shoulder of the freeway got out, looked under the truck and saw a puddle of oil dripping from the the engine. The oil filter was intact and still looked new because he just had his oil changed only 2,600 miles earlier.
Sounds like a valve dropped. You happen to know the production date?

Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Keep us posted but Crystal should be able to help him out.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Nick in Maryland
Senior User
Grinding right before vibration? If so that's probably going to be a spun bearing leading to a cascade.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does sound consistent with the events of a dropped / broken valve..
You typically won't "feel" a bearing spinning.. You will see a drop in oil pressure though..
If it is a rod bearing that stacked (one shell on top of the other), there is generally a lot of clatter of the piston hitting the cylinder head - this will result in a catastrophic failure. Stacked bearings in a diesel would likely be pretty rare. You see it in high mileage gassers that are over-reved.

Last edited by Tom; 10-08-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Off-topic edit
Old 10-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Nick in Maryland
Senior User
Yeah, a dropped valve is going to cause," clatter" before destruction.
Grinding = bearing most times. Low oil pressure is most likely the spun bearing as oil pressure drops from that bearing to crank clearance becoming massive to open.

Last edited by Tom; 10-08-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Off-topic EDIT
Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
92F350 I know that sucks that the dealer even mentioned the lift being a issue. Crystal is involved now hope she can help...
I'm happy to do all I can, white 01. Be sure to keep in touch via PM if you need anything else.

Originally Posted by Nick in Maryland
She is always helpful...
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Keep us posted but Crystal should be able to help him out.
Thanks, folks! I'll do my best.

Crystal

Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
It does sound consistent with the events of a dropped / broken valve..
You typically won't "feel" a bearing spinning.. You will see a drop in oil pressure though..
If it is a rod bearing that stacked (one shell on top of the other), there is generally a lot of clatter of the piston hitting the cylinder head - this will result in a catastrophic failure. Stacked bearings in a diesel would likely be pretty rare. You see it in high mileage gassers that are over-reved.

If you're wrong, will you go bother another forum and leave this one alone or are you going to be like a pesky fly in the room?
Having spun rod and crank bearings you are right on. If you spin the piston end of the rod you will pick up some knocking as the piston rocks in the cyl, you can drive it like that for a long ways before the piston destroys itself. At the crank end and in the mains it won't be as noticeable early on, but the loss of oil pressure will be, which you can mitigate by upping the oil to a straight weight oil and then adding increasing amounts of 90wt gear lube or heavier.

Finally the noise will exceed the ability of the stereo speakers to drown it out and its either sell it or rebuild/replace the motor.

I did manage to milk it along finally using 140wt gear oil when I put it up for sale. about a month later.

TIP: If its the crank bearings you can stop off and your feed and tack store and pick up a bundle of harness leather scraps. Pull a main bearing block and slap a piece of harness leather in there, will make that rig as quiet as a church mouse walking on cotton. I would suggest that when you sell it after you have done that to meet the guy somewhere else other than your front yard, 'cause that leather is not going to last real long and if the guy knows where you live you may have to give a refund...

Old 10-08-2015, 09:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Buick V6 grand nationals in the early '80's were famous for spun bearings. Lots of knocking was the clue.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Okay then. Cleaned this one up, let's get back to the issue.

Feel free to discuss the issue, but if the reason for your post is to discredit someone else then please DON'T POST. I'm assuming that everyone here is a grown adult, and I would ask that we all act like it.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
On a technical note...

Originally Posted by 17 Oaks

TIP: If its the crank bearings you can stop off and your feed and tack store and pick up a bundle of harness leather scraps. Pull a main bearing block and slap a piece of harness leather in there, will make that rig as quiet as a church mouse walking on cotton. I would suggest that when you sell it after you have done that to meet the guy somewhere else other than your front yard, 'cause that leather is not going to last real long and if the guy knows where you live you may have to give a refund...
There is a huge amount of fantastic information that is passed freely along to all who are interested on great forums like this. The above is the kind of information that I would not like to see on here. Tips to screw the next guy don't belong on here. This is my opinion as an FTE member who's been here over 12 years, not as a moderator. I mean no disrespect, but I have a real problem with this kind of thing.

Quick Reply: My bros 6.7 BLEW UP at 52k - HELP!!!!