Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Mass Air Flow Sensor gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:46 AM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mass Air Flow Sensor gone bad?

So no Check Engine light or code yet, I’m just getting a P1000 on the SCT scanner. From what I have read my symptoms are matching up. But being without a CEL code to go by, I'm just looking for a little adult supervision and confirmation before dropping the $'s.

Sensor was cleaned with the appropriate cleaner a few months ago and cold air intake installed at the same time.

2000 V10 EX Limited

Idles fine, however, and before the cold air intake was installed: in the past every now and then in it would idle rough to the point you thought it would die when cold and then come right out of it.

Now: Lack of power (difficulty gaining speed) at higher RPM’s, Knocking and pinging no coughs, sputters or miss. when you put your foot into when you do finally get to a respectable speed on the interstate.

It’s like running 85 octane gas my wife’s SAAB (Something Almost Always Broken)

Last night I was looking for a vacuum leak on the right side and had the assistant (a.k.a. wife) start it and shut it off a few times, heard a new noise coming from inside the cold air intake, took the air filter off and it sounded and felt like the MAF was either letting pressure escape or the other way around when the motor was shut off. Can that happen?

As Always, most in here have forgotten more than most outsiders will ever know about the EX, Opinions in here are more trusted than most outsiders facts.....

Opinions are always appreciated!!!!

Steve

Old 10-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
The P1000 code is nothing. It just means you need to drive it more before the computer can tell you there are, or are not, any codes/issues to give you. I get it all the time after resetting codes in a Ford and then rechecking. Just have to drive a bit for the computer to run all its diagnostics and check all the systems.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Alex F
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your IAC (idle air control) valve... clean it out, possible replace?

I'm having an idle issue (shuts off on longer duration idle) and that was my first guess/fix.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Moved over to the 6.8L V10 forum.

Stewart

Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
If I recall correctly, I always got a P1000 from my '01 V10, because of the OBD-I vs. OBD-II thing. Ignore that.

The rest of it, I'm not sure what to make of it all. The idle thing, probably the IAC.

The pinging and loss of power could be a few different things.

First thing up, clean the MAF. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Old 10-07-2015, 05:16 PM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
The Excursion Forum moved me over here on this one…. I had not been to the V10 Forum before; guess I have some reading to catch up on!

I’m going to update my assumption of the issue to the catalytic converter being plugged.

Things make more sense and symptoms are explained better. Still have all of the issues, over whelming lack of power at higher RPM, slight knocking and pinging when I put my foot into it… Still have the whistling at start up almost like a turbo spooling up, a slight pressure being released sound coming back through intake when the engine is shut off. Still no CEL

So here is everything that I have done to the air flow in the past months: Installed cold air intake and Y-Pipe from 5 Star, exhaust from the CAT back. 3 weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and fixed exhaust leaks by replacing the left hand exhaust manifold gasket and exhaust doughnut between manifold and down pipe….

When I was having the exhaust installed from the CAT back, the tech told me and I saw it that the baffling was starting to come out of the catalytic converter. Of course he wanted to sell me a new one…. Thinking maybe I should have taken him up on it. The Tech stated that the baffling would blow through as it failed, muffler is a straight shot through; I got a beer bet that he’s wrong and ain’t nothin blowin nowhere…..

I’m betting that the Catalytic Converter is now plugged due to the improvements to the air flow and forcing all of the air where it should have gone in the first place, adding the week innards of a catalytic converter
Everything just explains much better with an exhaust restriction.

It will be interesting to see what will be the best way to verify a plugged converter with the welding that has been done with the new exhaust.

Back soon…..

Steve

Old 10-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Bigdawg5565
New User
You need to read this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...0-pinging.html

I'm no expert but what your experiencing sounds a lot like what I had going on with plugged cats. The whining or whistling sounds could be your engine trying to push out exhaust gases. Just a hunch. Please keep us informed. Thanks and good luck.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:07 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Wow, interesting turn of events, makes a lot of sense too

Keep us in the loop

Old 10-10-2015, 11:38 PM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
It was a plugged catalytic converter. Pictures at the below link

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...converter.html

Old 10-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Bigdawg5565
New User
Originally Posted by zapola6
It was a plugged catalytic converter. Pictures at the below link

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...converter.html
Insane!! Glad you got it figured out though.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
Wow, interesting turn of events, makes a lot of sense too

Keep us in the loop

I read your phrase "turn of events" and I thought:
"man I just went through Heck diagnosing my pinging and catalytic converter plugged issue... how can Krewat not remember?"

then I realized it was in the Van section.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ss-miss-2.html
POST #18

I'm telling you; if anyone has an issue with spark knock/pinging/preignition, we all need to recommend the catalytic converters FIRST!