1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is Why I Bought a Gasser and not a P(o)S

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:33 PM
DCP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is Why I Bought a Gasser and not a P(o)S

Old 10-04-2015, 05:19 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,291 Posts
I don't know the credentials of the gentleman doing the video but it seemed informative and an interesting watch.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:45 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
He has a good number of videos on YouTube and I also enjoy watching them. I do not regard him as a definitive source as to what to buy, but all sources of information can have value. As to his opinion regarding what to buy, I didn't feel like there was new information there. Yes diesels are more expensive and yes complexity adds cost, but I think those thoughts have been widely disseminated on FTE. Still I enjoy his videos.

Steve

Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 AM
DavidB
Elder User
You should recognize this video for what it is. An advertisement for his business.

He makes some valid points about some things and spouts a lot of BS about others.

I am a lot older than this guy and I have been working on vehicles a lot longer than he has. I am sure that he is a good mechanic and repairs a lot of vehicles, but the fact that he cannot repair a vehicle with a wiring problem without replacing the harness gets him a failing grade with me. He should send that one out to someone who knows more than he does about electrical.

Take it with a grain of salt and filter it with common sense.

There are a lot, probably approaching 750,000 now, 6.7L Ford diesels on the road. If they were as bad as he says, Ford would no longer be in business.

If everyone bought new Ford diesels, this guy would be out of business.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:52 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Yes, it clearly is advertising, but still is fun to watch.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
His dealership comments are funny. The "why was it traded it" is identical for an individual selling it to you, only that individual has his hands wiped clean after you get it. Buy a truck from me and find out it's got problems and unless it was so high mileage that it was "as is" then you have some recourse. Even if it is As-is most all dealerships will at least go over the unit an make sure it passes inspection. A good dealership won't sell a vehicle with problems without disclosing them. It's also interesting that he has his own "dirt lot" dealership. Or does he just mean don't buy from other dealers?

He sees auctions full of Yugos? Really? I haven't seen one outside of a car show since the 1990s. (Yes, I've seen them at car shows)

"There are troubles we haven't even seen yet" is about the least valid argument I've ever heard, other than from a politician. The notion that because a problem on the 6.7 was fixed under warranty makes it a secret of some sort is pretty silly.

To the OP, yeah, if you don't need a diesel they are a waste of money. I'd be just as happy if my dump truck was a gasser, but I just use it around the farm.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:09 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Some people like Ford, some Dodge, some GM. Some guys like tall girls, some like sort, some fat, some skinny. Some people like the color blue, some red. Some like gas, some diesel.Some like the 7.3, some the 6.0, some the 6.4, others the 6.7
Everyone has an OPINION. And that is all it is, an OPINION!
He knows, understands and works on the 6.0. His business is biased on repairing the 6.0. What do you thing is his favorite engine?

Old 10-04-2015, 11:17 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Frantz
His dealership comments are funny. The "why was it traded it" is identical for an individual selling it to you, only that individual has his hands wiped clean after you get it. Buy a truck from me and find out it's got problems and unless it was so high mileage that it was "as is" then you have some recourse. Even if it is As-is most all dealerships will at least go over the unit an make sure it passes inspection. A good dealership won't sell a vehicle with problems without disclosing them. It's also interesting that he has his own "dirt lot" dealership. Or does he just mean don't buy from other dealers?

He sees auctions full of Yugos? Really? I haven't seen one outside of a car show since the 1990s. (Yes, I've seen them at car shows)

"There are troubles we haven't even seen yet" is about the least valid argument I've ever heard, other than from a politician. The notion that because a problem on the 6.7 was fixed under warranty makes it a secret of some sort is pretty silly.

To the OP, yeah, if you don't need a diesel they are a waste of money. I'd be just as happy if my dump truck was a gasser, but I just use it around the farm.
But what about the neat diesely sound?

Steve

Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
This guy's video is a waste of electrons. He makes blanket statements that are not true in as many cases as he cites. The collective knowledge of the FTE forum far exceeds this guy's. Move on.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:38 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
only problem with the guys thought about buying an '05-'07 is that if you live in the rust belt the trucks are probably rotted out by now and will require another $5-$10k to completely repair all the damage.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Omega Man
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought my V10 F350 from a dealership, got it below blue book with a 6 month 6000 miles warranty, unheard of for a 15 year old truck. They throw that warranty on all their used cars, won't sell a vehicle they don't have confidence in.

I really wanted a 7.3 powerstroke, but the outrageous cost drove me to the v10. A decision I don't regret.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:05 PM
DCP
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
The collective knowledge of the FTE forum far exceeds this guy's. Move on.
I'll put my money on this professional mechanic over the collective knowledge of the FTE forum any day. If you want this guy's credentials, check out his web page, powerstrokehelp.com.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
I needed a diesel to tow my travel trailer across the country. I needed a diesel that was reliable and would not let me down unless I let it down with maintenance. My 2000 7.3 has been a great truck even at 240,000 miles. It towed our travel trailer 6K miles this summer and did a great job at it. Even going up the Rocky Mountains it performed like a champ.

I went into this game knowing 7.3's hold their value and I would have to spend a bit more to get what I wanted. But, every time I fire that beast up and let it warm up a moment, I smile to myself because I made the right choice.

To each their own. I am not spending your money and you sure as hell are not spending mine. What works great for you, may not work at all for me. This is why we have choices and we make them accordingly.

I recently built a 7.62x39 on an AR platform. It is a ******* child of a weapon, but it is great and I love it. Just goes to show you that just because you think an idea or an item is a POS, does not mean that it isn't perfect for someone else.

God bless America!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:24 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I had one of those 6.4's Very reliable and travel cross country more than once.

He has about 1/2 truth and the rest is hot air.

DPF is not going to just explode.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:01 PM
DCP
Senior User
[QUOTE=Sous;15694920]I needed a diesel to tow my travel trailer across the country.

In 2000, the V10 had 365 horsepower and 457 pounds of torque. Your 7.3L diesel had 250 horsepower and 500 pounds of torque stock, so why couldn't the V10 pull your travel trailer across the country? Plus, it's not too uncommon to see a gas engine that has over 200,000 miles on it if the owner took care of it.

Quick Reply: This is Why I Bought a Gasser and not a P(o)S