Moveable backup camera. 2011

Old 10-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Moveable backup camera. 2011

Hello. I have a 2011f350 lariat with sync but no nav. I have the back up sensors but no back up camera.

After a recent incident where horses got tangled up in the trailer I've been thinking about adding a camera system that I could monitor inside the trailer with while driving and also would be handing if I could move it or use a second camera to help in hooking up trailers.

I would like to not change out my factory head unit if possible but don't know where else or how I would add a viewing screen that would be discreet. I'm also trying to keep this little addition out of the to many of thousands of dollars if possible.

Just wondering if others had solutions that they have used or might recommend as I start researching how to go about this.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:56 PM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Squisher
Hello. I have a 2011f350 lariat with sync but no nav. I have the back up sensors but no back up camera.

After a recent incident where horses got tangled up in the trailer I've been thinking about adding a camera system that I could monitor inside the trailer with while driving and also would be handing if I could move it or use a second camera to help in hooking up trailers.

I would like to not change out my factory head unit if possible but don't know where else or how I would add a viewing screen that would be discreet. I'm also trying to keep this little addition out of the to many of thousands of dollars if possible.

Just wondering if others had solutions that they have used or might recommend as I start researching how to go about this.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Do a search for wireless backup cameras, plenty of options out there.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Yah Everything I've turned up in a search that I've found has been quite uncunclusive. I see that it's been covered a lot but I wasn't able to find anything conclusive about a wireless system for a trailer that works well.

I've been searching around the web too and have been considering trying a tadibrothers system but couldn't find any real feedback on FTE about their wireless systems?

Maybe my interweb skills are weak?

Was hoping for some real world feedback on a system that works well before pulling the pin. I'm in Canada so more than likely ordering and having to return things is often cost prohibitive with shipping.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:30 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by Squisher
Yah Everything I've turned up in a search that I've found has been quite uncunclusive. I see that it's been covered a lot but I wasn't able to find anything conclusive about a wireless system for a trailer that works well.

I've been searching around the web too and have been considering trying a tadibrothers system but couldn't find any real feedback on FTE about their wireless systems?

Maybe my interweb skills are weak?

Was hoping for some real world feedback on a system that works well before pulling the pin. I'm in Canada so more than likely ordering and having to return things is often cost prohibitive with shipping.
Did you look on ebay ?

Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
So from looking around more it seems there is no high quality wireless system out there that actually works without interference or crappy resolution. I'm guessing I'll have to start researching hard wired set ups.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Generally anything like this that's wireless and "affordable" will be of suspect quality, the reception at best sketchy. If towing is a common task for you then a back up or rear view camera system would be a wise choice.

There should be no shortage of great wired systems that are both highly effective and not budget breakers----looking back through this forum you might find more than a few posts about such installations. Almost all of those echo your own concerns about ease of incorporation and unobtrusive final appearance.

While it might be going over budget companies like Pioneer have double DIN head units that allow rear view cameras be added---just another option or way to go.

All this isn't too specific but search this forum for "back up camera"---might be something more helpful and specific for you.

Best of luck!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Yah thanks. I've been trying a bunch of different searches but will have to keep looking. Unfortunately just searching 'back up camera' brings an endless array of threads dealing with factory backup systems. I really don't want to add a aftermarket deck or even change mine to the factory touch screen deck if at all possible to avoid.

A wired system by cabcam is promising looking but haven't found much info about it here but lots of info on a couple of farming forums about people using them with a lot of success.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Well my thoughts on a simple wireless backup camera are dashed. After lots of searching and reading its now moving into the realm of a winter project(I take my 2011 off the road for the winter). At this point I'm considering replacing my factory non-nav head unit with a joyriding android unit and figuring out how to run/divide a three or four wired camera system to input into it.

Still researching these joyriding head units though, my back up plan is a traditional double din like ken wood, or pioneer.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:33 PM
madsonp
Let us know what you end up with.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Will do. I'll probably decide on a head unit shortly, I take the truck off the road sometime within the next month so will hold off until then before starting a install.