Sponsored by: Moser

14 ga fusible link blew need replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 PM
motomanpat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 ga fusible link blew need replacement

The guy at the parts store said replace it with an inline fuse. I got some materials to do it and my thoughts started spinning if this is what I should do or not. What are your thoughts here on FTE?

Old 10-02-2015, 08:51 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
You can also install a high-amp, resettable circuit breaker.

The fusible link did its job to protect the rest of the circuitry. But why did it fry in the first place? That's what you need to figure out.... the cause would be an overload or a short to ground (a bare wire to ground results in a runaway current which exceeded the fusible link's ampacity).

Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
14 gauge fusible link is available at most parts stores (AZ and NAPA for example). Works well and is low cost. If the rest of the system is stock, I'd be inclined to simply replace the fusible link.

If the fusible link is on the alternator charge circuit and you are running a bigger alternator, other wiring changes are likely needed first... then choose a fusible link accordingly or a fuse.

Goes without saying, you need to find and fix whatever blew it in the first place.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 PM
motomanpat
Freshman User
This truck has been my issue for quite some time lol. This happened today after I changed jets to try and get through emissions again. I was cranking to get the fuel to fill the bowl and it didn't start and I couldn't figure out why until I saw this wire. Ran fine yesterday when I drove to DEQ and back. This truck is all original along with these wires. I could have another issue but it has been running and driving great!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:01 PM
motomanpat
Freshman User
This wire goes into the cab and I assume part of the ignition circuit and I think maybe back to the coil as maybe why it wouldn't start but cranked over fine.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:17 PM
motomanpat
Freshman User
She is a gem but never the less a PITA

Old 10-02-2015, 09:28 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Yessah.. that's a mighty fine looking SC.

I refer to frequent maladies as "getting cycled" when issues seem to pop up in succession over a short time.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow! That's a beautiful truck! I haven't seen any of your threads on it until now, such an great all original SuperCab. Wishing you good luck figuring out the fusible link problem.

David

Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 PM
motomanpat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rougeriver
Wow! That's a beautiful truck! I haven't seen any of your threads on it until now, such an great all original SuperCab. Wishing you good luck figuring out the fusible link problem.

David
I have some old carb and such threads! Thank you for saying the truck is nice she is a true original. It has 88000 miles and sat for a good chunk of its life. I got the truck for free to top it off and also included a 1969 Roll-A-long sportster camper. It has cost me about $1600 to get her where she is today and much pain. That is including a $400 carb, $200 worth of sending units and more of course. Seems like everytime things are good something comes up👍

Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 PM
motomanpat
Freshman User
David of you would like you can search all the threads I started by clicking my user name I think! This truck has been a bit frustrating but it sure does run and drive nice usually.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:50 PM
motomanpat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Yessah.. that's a mighty fine looking SC.

I refer to frequent maladies as "getting cycled" when issues seem to pop up in succession over a short time.
Thanks HIO Silver,

I will try and remember that! I did everything backwards from the start as I thought it would be cheapwe that way ha I learned some lessons along the way😂

Old 10-02-2015, 10:54 PM
motomanpat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Blue and White
14 gauge fusible link is available at most parts stores (AZ and NAPA for example). Works well and is low cost. If the rest of the system is stock, I'd be inclined to simply replace the fusible link.

If the fusible link is on the alternator charge circuit and you are running a bigger alternator, other wiring changes are likely needed first... then choose a fusible link accordingly or a fuse.

Goes without saying, you need to find and fix whatever blew it in the first place.
Thanks Blue and White,

I am thinking that maybe it was just so old that it gave out but I could be wrong! The systems have been fine for quite some time but I haven't driven it much in the last two years. And she is totally stock and I have been slowly getting new items as they have gone bad lol😁

Old 10-02-2015, 11:08 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by motomanpat
Seems like everytime things are good something comes up��
Tell me about it!

David

Old 10-02-2015, 11:39 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fusable Links burn slower than circuit breakers or inline fuses (typically).

I would replace it with another fusable link, or use one of those large Mega-Fuses.

How much Amperage could a 14ga fusable link handle?

Old 10-03-2015, 12:02 AM
motomanpat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ZarK-eh
Fusable Links burn slower than circuit breakers or inline fuses (typically).

I would replace it with another fusable link, or use one of those large Mega-Fuses.

How much Amperage could a 14ga fusable link handle?
That is what I have read in threads and such but I have also read that those mega fuses aren't good either depending on amperage. I read somewhere that the 14ga fusable link will take 60 but I am not sure.

Quick Reply: 14 ga fusible link blew need replacement