Sponsored by:

Need new tires-What do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:03 AM
thebigsmooth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new tires-What do you recommend?

I know this may be a lot like coke or pepsi but looking for some advice...

2000 EX 7.3 166k miles

Used mainly for everyday driving and a little towing of small trailer. Michigan winters.

I went with Coopers last time and was not impressed.

Any advice is appreciated

Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Not knowing the size you want, but I have been very happy with my NITTOs. I will be staying with them when I next need to change my tires out, it will just boil down to wether I go with their Dura Grapplers (Highway tire) or the Exo Grappler (what they call a four seasons tire).

You are right about this topic being a Coke vrs Pepsi issue (Coke is better BTW) but you might want to check out NITTO.

Good Luck!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 AM
thebigsmooth
New User
Just the stock tire size

Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 AM
willieyp
Freshman User
Old 10-01-2015, 12:04 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm a Cooper guy myself, but since you stated you did not have great experiences with them i'll leave them out, although i do like the AT3.

I'm going to need to replace tires on my Expedition next summer, it's use is much like yours except i run dedicated snow tires in the winter. I've narrowed it down to a few different tires.

Goodyear Dura Trac - great all around tire, slightly aggressive but i've had nothing but good to hear from owners and my own thoughts after driving rental trucks with them.

General Grabber AT2 - another good all around A/T tire that i personally know a company that runs this tire and this tire only on it's 300 truck fleet.

Firestone Destination A/T - i've heard good reviews but never drove anything with them.

I have Nitto Terra Grappler's on my F-150 because that was one of the only companies that made a A/T tire in the size i needed for my 22" wheels. I'm not overly impressed with them as the wet traction is ho-hum, dry seems good, snow/slush was OK…but nothing to write home about.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:40 PM
thebigsmooth
New User
I've think I've got it narrowed down to:

BFGoodrich ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2
or
Goodyear WRANGLER DURATRAC

The KO2's will run me about $100 cheaper

Old 10-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Jeremy05
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a look at the toyo RT, we've been having really good luck with them at work on construction trucks(f250 diesels)

Quiet tire, good tread, and seem to be lasting. I might get 50k out these tires. Im usually only good for 25-30k tops.

Last edited by Jeremy05; 10-02-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BFG KO2 and don't look back. It is a great tire in all ex conditions. A dedicated true snow tire is obviously the best for winter but I drove my KO2 in both icy conditions and deep snow - felt very safe with them.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:08 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by thebigsmooth
I went with Coopers last time and was not impressed.
What Cooper did you run, and what didn't you like? I ask because I'm runnig Coopers right now and I am very impressed with the ride, grip and wear.

...wondering what you didn't like and what model you were on...maybe it was just something with the model you chose?

Old 10-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another question about your dissatisfaction with the Coopers- what was the load range on them? If they were C or D, they aren't going to feel the same as E (which is better suited to the weight of an Excursion anyway).

I personally like the Duratracs myself.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:08 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy05
Take a look at the toyo RT, we've been having really good luck with them at work on construction trucks(f250 diesels)

Quite tire, good tread, and seem to be lasting. I might get 50k out these tires. Im usually only good for 25-30k tops.
I'll second this as a great choice.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:02 AM
thebigsmooth
New User
Originally Posted by Psyclopse
Another question about your dissatisfaction with the Coopers- what was the load range on them? If they were C or D, they aren't going to feel the same as E (which is better suited to the weight of an Excursion anyway).

I personally like the Duratracs myself.
They were E rated. The DISCOVERER A/T3. They were a quiet ride but I had all kinds of trouble keepingg them properly inflated. I had the stem replaced on one tire 2x and another there was a leak around the seal. I was filling air in them 1-2 times a week here lately. They seemed to wear fast. I got a flat yesterday (cause it was low).

I have a buddy running the same tires on his silverado and he had the same experience.

Too bad cause I have seen a lot of good review for them.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:52 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by thebigsmooth
They were E rated. The DISCOVERER A/T3. They were a quiet ride but I had all kinds of trouble keepingg them properly inflated. I had the stem replaced on one tire 2x and another there was a leak around the seal. I was filling air in them 1-2 times a week here lately. They seemed to wear fast. I got a flat yesterday (cause it was low).

I have a buddy running the same tires on his silverado and he had the same experience.

Too bad cause I have seen a lot of good review for them.

How does the valve stem equate to poor tires? Was the seal issue at the stem or bead?

I went with the new Copper Discovery STT pro. About 2k miles in and happy. They are too new I think to get forcasted mileage.

They don't look aggressive enough for me but I bet those Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar reinforced jobbers are nice.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
I guess I'm the odd unicorn out, but Hankooks have always been good to me. The dynapro ATM are what I'm using on my 18" HD wheels. I also use them on my stock 16" wheels. They are quiet and a nice smooth ride for highway.

I think if I were to venture into something different, I'd got Nittos because of all the good things I've heard about them here.

Good luck in your tire search!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:39 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
I have a set of 305 Cooper Discoverer AT3's and love them. They're quiet and ride well. I tow a lot and they do well there also. Winter traction is excellent. Very satisfied and recommend.

Quick Reply: Need new tires-What do you recommend?