1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bad extension housing causes vibration? NOT FIXED, bad trans...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:59 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Bad extension housing causes vibration? NOT FIXED, bad trans...

ok, usually I can get my problems solved by searching here, but I am at a loss at this point. I've been chasing down a bad vibration from 45-70+mph. I found a couple threads with mention of a bushing in the extension housing of the 4r100 being starved for oil if the housing gasket goes bad, resulting in a vibration at similar speeds to what I'm experiencing. I pulled the extension housing off a spare 4r100 I have access to and I don't see any bushing. So what am I missing here?

For reference I've done the following trying to fix this vibration:
rebuilt entire front end (ball joints/tie rods/wheel bearings/new lockouts/brakes/all new bushings & seals)
rebuilt both drive shafts
replaced wheels
replaced tires
serviced rear end (note: the dealer obviously didn't put LSD additive in because the rear end chatters like a spool gear around corners)
serviced front diff
new shocks
new steering stabilizer

Additionally turning O/D off makes no difference. I do have a couple leaks I haven't identified yet, one of which is trans fluid. It's a very slow leak, just enough to wet the trans pan and drip off the rearward pan bolt heads. The other leak look like its probably the pedestal leaking.

So where is this bushing? Not sure why the extension housing would be bad?

wet trans oil pan

leak from (I assume) pedestal

I'm losing my confidence with this issue. I can usually figure this kind of stuff out myself, but I'm at a loss. The vibration is so bad I don't want to drive the truck until I can fix it...

Old 10-01-2015, 03:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I was chasing a mild vibration, but it "blew up" (dramatically increased) in a very short time. I'm following this and I'm seeking local help. I'll share what I learn.

To narrow this down some: Do you hear anything like bearing noise or what one might think is tire noise? Is the vibration tamed town when the torque converter is unlocked? Can you coast in neutral at cruise speed and not feel a lot of difference from having it in Drive at cruise speed? If you have a tow tune, is it more intense when that tune is selected? Does the vibration appear to go away when you do a hard acceleration?

Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Thanks for the reply! Answers in red below.

Originally Posted by Tugly
Do you hear anything like bearing noise or what one might think is tire noise?

No, everything sounds normal from the cab, and I've gone through 2 sets of tires and two sets of wheels with the same symptom.

Is the vibration tamed town when the torque converter is unlocked?

It's hard to tell since the vibration starts around 45mph when generally the converter is already locked. Switching O/D off made no difference.

Can you coast in neutral at cruise speed and not feel a lot of difference from having it in Drive at cruise speed?

This I haven't tried, I will give it a shot and report back.

If you have a tow tune, is it more intense when that tune is selected?

No, I've tested it on all my tunes and it's the same regardless.

Does the vibration appear to go away when you do a hard acceleration?

No change with hard acceleration or deceleration.
I have a couple things to rule out still, like the rear diff. I'm going to drain it and refill with LSD additive to eliminate the choppiness around corners. I doubt that's the issue, but only one way to be sure.

I'm also going to get the rear drive shaft balanced. I rebuilt it myself, and put everything back together as it came apart, and I didn't see any missing counter weights, but I guess you never know.

I know my front leaf bushings are worn, get a good clunk over big bumps, but it aligned perfectly and the vibration comes even on fresh paved roads with no bumps.

Anyone have any insight into my question about the extension housing? What bushing is being referred to in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12317249, post #17? I've seen it mentioned on other forums too.

Originally Posted by fomoco6.8
Right track Petrokiller, but more to it...& thanks for the reply Superdoodle, dipstick is dry. I did just stumble onto a post when I googled it that applies to my concern, as it references a driveline vibration as well. I never thought they may be related, but Ive been chasing one for so long that I'd about given up on it. U-joints, balence driveshaft, REPLACED driveshaft, tires...you get the idea. Anyways, it seems that there is an oil suply hole in the extension housing that if plugged, starves a bushing to the point of failure that causes a vibration thats tough to pinpoint. Eventually leaks and runs right on top of the rear pan area!
Anybody heard of this one before? It appears that the fix is a new extension housing and a new seal...
Thanks again for all suggestions guys!
Also this:
This concern relates to vehicles equipped with the E4OD and 4R100 automatic transmissions. Fluid leaks from the rear of the transmission and excessive vibration felt in the vehicle while driving can be caused by a lack of lubrication to the rear of the transmission and rear seal failure. The extension housing (rear portion of transmission) can lose lubrication if the fluid supply hole becomes clogged. This leads to rear seal failure from lack of lubrication, and can cause bearing failure in the extension housing. The extension housing and gasket should be replaced and verify the fluid supply hole is clear of debris
Found here: Excessive Vibration Felt in Vehicle While Driving - Fluid Leaks From Rear of Transmission : Ford E-350 Common Drive Train Problems

Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
well, I pulled the drive shaft and had it balanced, no joy. Still get a bad vibration at 45mph. I also tried shifting into neutral and the vibration doesn't go away. At this point I'm at a loss...

Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I just replaced my 4x4 tranny the other day. When I mated the xfer case back to the extension housing, there is a weep-hole in the back of the extension housing that spewed fluid continuously all over me after I removed the "protective plug" while I got the xfer case re-installed. There is definitely fluid being pumped to that extension housing. The "bushing" might be behind that gear and output shaft where you can't easily see it, OR the bushing could be on the xfer case side?

Old 10-09-2015, 10:18 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Only the 2wd versions have a bushing in the extension housing. There is a bushing that supports the output shaft in the transmission, but is a non issue on the 4x4, as the transfer case supports the end on it and the shaft is shorter. The transfer case shafts are all supported by bearings.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:27 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did the vibration by any chance start at the same time the F350 blocks were installed in the rear end? Just throwing ideas at the wall, could be a driveline angle problem.

Edit, and is the vibration a fast high-pitched literally vibrating the change in the cupholder or a slower like a wheel hop that shakes the truck up and down or something in between?

Old 10-10-2015, 12:56 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Originally Posted by Nicmike
I just replaced my 4x4 tranny the other day. When I mated the xfer case back to the extension housing, there is a weep-hole in the back of the extension housing that spewed fluid continuously all over me after I removed the "protective plug" while I got the xfer case re-installed. There is definitely fluid being pumped to that extension housing. The "bushing" might be behind that gear and output shaft where you can't easily see it, OR the bushing could be on the xfer case side?
so is that fluid being pumped through the ex housing into the transfer case? For some reason I though the xcase had its own sealed fluid.

Originally Posted by mueckster
Only the 2wd versions have a bushing in the extension housing. There is a bushing that supports the output shaft in the transmission, but is a non issue on the 4x4, as the transfer case supports the end on it and the shaft is shorter. The transfer case shafts are all supported by bearings.
ok, so then the TSB I referenced is only for 2wd trucks? That leabves me back at square one...

Originally Posted by twigsV10
Did the vibration by any chance start at the same time the F350 blocks were installed in the rear end? Just throwing ideas at the wall, could be a driveline angle problem.

Edit, and is the vibration a fast high-pitched literally vibrating the change in the cupholder or a slower like a wheel hop that shakes the truck up and down or something in between?
no, I bought the truck with the blocks and it ran smooth as butter.

It's a steady but intense vibration that shakes the whole truck from what feel like the center. It's not in the steering, and it's nothing like when a rear tire threw a belt and shook the bed. It hit hard at 45mph and smooths out around 60mph, then starts getting worse again around 70-75mph. This really has me stumped...

Old 10-10-2015, 05:44 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The transmission and transfer case do not share fluid.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:55 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Have you verified that the front hubs are unlocked and that when they are unlocked that both wheel shafts turn freely?

When the 4x4 selector is in the 4x2 position, the front drive shaft should turn freely. Have you checked that as well?

Old 10-11-2015, 12:24 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The transmission and transfer case do not share fluid.
Thats what I thought, so there's nothing that the extension housing in a 4x4 could cause to create this vibration...

Originally Posted by jhl3
Have you verified that the front hubs are unlocked and that when they are unlocked that both wheel shafts turn freely?

When the 4x4 selector is in the 4x2 position, the front drive shaft should turn freely. Have you checked that as well?
yep, both Mile Markers were just rebuilt and lubed. I verified the drive shaft can easily be turned by hand, and both wheel shafts turn freely.

I drained and refilled the rear diff today, adding the proper limited slip additive. It fixed the chattering around corners, so doesn't feel like a spool anymore. Still have the vibration though. It feels like I've been chipping away at other small issues since the truck rides like new at every speed except the 45-55mph range the vibration shows up at. If I can fix this vibe it will ride like a new truck!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:30 AM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by akorcovelos
ok, usually I can get my problems solved by searching here, but I am at a loss at this point. I've been chasing down a bad vibration from 45-70+mph. I found a couple threads with mention of a bushing in the extension housing of the 4r100 being starved for oil if the housing gasket goes bad, resulting in a vibration at similar speeds to what I'm experiencing. I pulled the extension housing off a spare 4r100 I have access to and I don't see any bushing. So what am I missing here?

For reference I've done the following trying to fix this vibration:
rebuilt entire front end (ball joints/tie rods/wheel bearings/new lockouts/brakes/all new bushings & seals)
rebuilt both drive shafts
replaced wheels
replaced tires
serviced rear end (note: the dealer obviously didn't put LSD additive in because the rear end chatters like a spool gear around corners)
serviced front diff
new shocks
new steering stabilizer

Additionally turning O/D off makes no difference. I do have a couple leaks I haven't identified yet, one of which is trans fluid. It's a very slow leak, just enough to wet the trans pan and drip off the rearward pan bolt heads. The other leak look like its probably the pedestal leaking.

So where is this bushing? Not sure why the extension housing would be bad?

wet trans oil pan

leak from (I assume) pedestal

I'm losing my confidence with this issue. I can usually figure this kind of stuff out myself, but I'm at a loss. The vibration is so bad I don't want to drive the truck until I can fix it...
4X4 does not have a bushing in the extension housing. Look at the drive line angle.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:07 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Slip yoke on the rear driveshaft have any play in it?

Old 10-11-2015, 01:11 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Originally Posted by stuart1
4X4 does not have a bushing in the extension housing. Look at the drive line angle.
Drive line angle is stock f350...

Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Slip yoke on the rear driveshaft have any play in it?
nope, just had the shaft rebuilt and everything was fine, balanced perfectly, new joints, and slip yoke was greased and fit together nice and smooth.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:28 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Pinion bearings on the rear axle good? No play there?

Other than that, you have looked at everything I would when chasing a vib

Quick Reply: Bad extension housing causes vibration? NOT FIXED, bad trans...