6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Annoying wine at idle.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:47 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Annoying wine at idle.

At idle the wine seems to be coming from under the driver side,engine compartment. It will go away when you blip the throttle. It is very annoying, and I think its getting worse, when it was newer I had the tech look at it and he said probably a solenoid and ford might not want to replace. Its louder and its got to be replaced. Any ideals what this can be, as soon as I get time I'm taking it in. No drivability issues, just annoying noise.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:57 PM
MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try this post
Strange sound at idle
I have a video of my sound and see if it sounds like yours.
My noise was in my 2013

Old 09-30-2015, 08:04 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
In 2013 there was a whine that is quite audible from that side of the truck. I first noticed it on mine, then noticed it on our '13 and '14 med units. The '11s and '12s do not do it. It is a pump whine of some kind. The diesel mechanic had never heard it and spent two hours under mine when I took delivery it trying to find it. 14k miles later, still does it.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:11 PM
joeyou
Freshman User
My 2012 had this same whine at idle. I replaced the fuel filters and it went away.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Glad to hear that my 2015 isn't the only truck to do this. I actually posted about this a few weeks ago. My truck is quiet most of the time, then intermittently sounds like a Boeing 777 taxing for take off. Mine did it before a fuel filter change, and does it occasionally since. Dealer thought could be the valve that recirculates fuel back to the tank since it will do it with the key on engine off.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:31 AM
MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Mountain Pass
I'm going throw this out there. On my 2013 every time I changed the fuel filters it made no difference. But I did notice that the fuel cap had pressure or a vacuum every time I took it off to fuel up. Now my 2015 does not do that nor did my 2011 neither of which had the noise.
My 2015 is quiet thus far and pray it stays that way as I hated that whining noise. One of the reasons I traded.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:38 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm certain it is the fuel filter assembly on top of the engine. If you touch it while at idle when you hear the noise the vibration you feel matches the sound you hear. It's easy to tell also when you touch it, have someone else blip the throttle and the sound eases off a bit.

It is annoying and I wish I knew how to get rid of it.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:48 AM
MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Mountain Pass
I was told that the fuel tank is not pressured and there should not be any pressure in the tank? So could that be an issue? I also was thinking if the sound I heard was a vacuum then the tank was not venting as the truck used fuel and was causing a hard pull maybe sucking air.
Anyone else have the release of air or vacuum when they fuel up? There has to be a fix to the annoying noise.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:55 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '11 has an air exchange when I open the fuel cap on the tank, don't know if it's vacuum or pressure. Pretty sure I have a whine noise at idle in mine but I may have gotten used to it as I can't be sure. I'll check for it next time I start the truck though.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroo
At idle the wine seems to be coming from under the driver side,engine compartment...
Originally Posted by golfmedik
...The diesel mechanic had never heard it and spent two hours under mine when I took delivery it trying to find it. 14k miles later, still does it.
Originally Posted by Boaterguy
Glad to hear that my 2015 isn't the only truck to do this...
Originally Posted by ruschejj
...It is annoying and I wish I knew how to get rid of it.
Hey, folks!

It's always a good idea to mention any concerning noises to your dealership. Let me know how many miles are on your trucks; I want to see what I can do to help out.

Crystal

Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
My 2015 has 16,842 on it. The noise is intermittent.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
When I saw the title of this threat I swear it was about someones spouse....

Old 10-01-2015, 09:32 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boaterguy
My 2015 has 16,842 on it. The noise is intermittent.
Hi Boaterguy,

Let's make sure that your regional customer service manager is aware of this noise; I know they'll want to help. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicign dealership; I'll escalate this for you.

Crystal

Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
I went by dealer the other day because it is getting louder. Me and the tech tried to chase it down. He had a stethoscope and he seems it is most noticeable around the egr. It resonates all over, but when your under passenger side it seems loudest, like the exhaust is carrying it around. Blip the throttle and it goes away until you drive it again. My dealer just changed owners too, and I don't think that is a good thing. Tech said they don't seem too service oriented. So as of now I'm probably stuck with it til I got time to fight, or whatever it is fails.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:09 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
I actually just noticed a VERY high pitch (15kHz harmonic range) when I'm pressing the throddle. It goes away at different throddle levels. But its pretty annoying (if you can even hear in that range). It sounds like the front speaker/amplifier is picking up some electrical noise. It does not change with the volume though. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm afraid if I bring it in the dealership, the tech won't be able to hear in that range.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Annoying wine at idle.