1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Who wants all digital read out gauges. Exhaust and fuel pressure too.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thor'sHammer, your video pretty much has me sold. I was about to go out and buy a samsung galaxy but rather have the torque on my dash.

I'm not exactly tech savy and looks like you you have been through several units and know what your looking for, so was curious on your though of this unit (LINK BELOW). I think it's the newest one out but got a little confused when it said "airplay for iPhone" Does that just mean it's apple compatible?

Thanks for your advice and help.

Joying® Aftermarket Best Android Head Unit, Android Car Stereo, Android Car Radio Audio Joying Best Universal 2 Double Din Car Stereo Android 4.4.4 Kitkat 7 Inch Radio Audio In Dash GPS Navigation System Android In-Dash Android GPS navigation | carjo

Thoughts on this one? I'm leaning more towards this one.

Joying® Aftermarket Best Android Head Unit, Android Car Stereo, Android Car Radio Audio Europe EU Warehouse 2015 Latest Aftermarket 7 Inch 2 Double Din 1024*600 In Dash Car Stereo Android 4.4.4 kitkat Quad Core Head Unit Autoradio 16 GB Memory Touch

Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Double posted.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
Thor'sHammer, your video pretty much has me sold. I was about to go out and buy a samsung galaxy but rather have the torque on my dash.

I'm not exactly tech savy and looks like you you have been through several units and know what your looking for, so was curious on your though of this unit (LINK BELOW). I think it's the newest one out but got a little confused when it said "airplay for iPhone" Does that just mean it's apple compatible?

Thanks for your advice and help.

Joying® Aftermarket Best Android Head Unit, Android Car Stereo, Android Car Radio Audio Joying Best Universal 2 Double Din Car Stereo Android 4.4.4 Kitkat 7 Inch Radio Audio In Dash GPS Navigation System Android In-Dash Android GPS navigation | carjo

Thoughts on this one? I'm leaning more towards this one.

Joying® Aftermarket Best Android Head Unit, Android Car Stereo, Android Car Radio Audio Europe EU Warehouse 2015 Latest Aftermarket 7 Inch 2 Double Din 1024*600 In Dash Car Stereo Android 4.4.4 kitkat Quad Core Head Unit Autoradio 16 GB Memory Touch
I'm having a hard time finding anything different, other than where it is.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by scottddove
The one thing that is keeping me from going for it is the install in the dash. No matter how nice it is if I got to hack up my dash to get it in I will never be ok with it. Any feed back on this would be helpful in the decision making. Thor's hammer what is your take on this?? In a 2003 f-350.
You dont have to hack the dash up to install it. Your radio comes out and you use a 2-DIN installation kit to mount it into the dash. Unfortunately, you will have to trim 2mm off of the installation kit's face plate to accommodate the non-standard face plate size of the stereo. I just traced the shape of the face onto cardboard, taped it to the install kit's face plate and cut out the shape with an electric jigsaw with a fine blade. I then used a file to file whatever rough edges I found. It's not perfect, but it works until I find something else.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:22 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor'sHammer
I'm having a hard time finding anything different, other than where it is.
The 2nd link shows a full touch screen interface. Look at the buttons on the left side, they are integrated into the touch screen. Looks more like a tablet surface.

At least that's what it looked like to me.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
The 2nd link shows a full touch screen interface. Look at the buttons on the left side, they are integrated into the touch screen. Looks more like a tablet surface.

At least that's what it looked like to me.
They both show the same unit for me. Look back on the previous page. I had one of those "tablet" faced stereos. It was terrible. There is no physical "off" button, so on the fly restarts are impossible. Mine also bricked when I needed it to work the most, so I returned it for a refund and opted for one with a physical power button. It's been smooth sailing ever since. I haven't had a single issue.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
I'm not worried about the install, done plenty of those. I just want to make sure that I'm getting the correct radio as far as the newest one out, best memory. Eventually want to add back up cam (not a priority) But just making sure that it will do what the phone does without glitches. I just don't want it to be like my samsung S3 (I think) Works great for the first year an half to two years and now is slow glitchy and pretty much junk.

I bought a Kenwood about 5 years ago to install in my Peterbilt than went into my pickup. But I can't stand the way it pairs to the phone. The bluetooth is pretty much junk and no one can hear me on the other end.

When you say "other than where it is" do you mean across seas in Europe? If so I thought that is where they were coming from. I'll play with more.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
There the same units, I just thought the lower one had more features which would cost a little more. $300 vs $335.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:08 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I really like the Joying unit, and I am encouraged by the support from the manufacturer - this is rare with these off-brands.

As tempting as it is, I am still waiting for the "killer" product to come out. I'm not in any way implying there will ever be a technology product the is the be-all, end-all... everybody knows better than that. Reflect back on the introductions of the iPod, iPhone, DVD (then Blue-ray), and Android tablets. They offered alternatives to the portable cassette tape/CD player, flip phone, VHS, and laptop.

The future of the aftermarket double-din head unit is something very similar to the Joying. We're almost there, but still not quite. I can "sense" something coming out real soon that will remove all doubt as to whether we want it in our dash. I expected it to be here by Christmas, but I have not found any introduction or sneak peak of such a device yet. I just know it's coming soon.

You can take that all with a grain of salt... but I've been doing this electronics thing since 1979, and I'm getting pretty good at spotting the weaknesses in products that aren't "the real deal". Those weaknesses might take the form of product quality, features, price, how proprietary they are, user friendly, marketing, functionality, form, convenience, "wow factor", etc....

Hey Scott - I can bring the installation kit when I visit, if you want to wait that long.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:38 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
How can it be an "off brand" if they are the only ones making this type of device?

Also, what makes you think there is anything wrong with these? I've owned three of them for over 7 months now, without any issues. No connectivity problems, interface problems, nothing. It's just like a 7" nexus tablet built into the dash.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm not in any way saying your unit is sub-par. I'm sure anybody who buys one will truly enjoy it, and they will have made a good choice. I'm just one that can't ignore my OCD, and I'll know what I'm looking for when I see it.

Off-brand: That's more of a subjective term... but until this thread, I haven't seen a Joying head unit, tablet, home stereo, TV, portable device, or even a microwave. I've never seen it in the stereo shop, computer store, or even at Walmart. I know... LG was an "off-brand" when introduced - as was Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, etc.... If you feel Joying is a new contender, cool. The fact that they have online factory support for their product is huge, when compared to some of the other brands I've personally deemed "off".

Blackberry was the only company making their product... how many people are seeking these out now? Joying is not the only one making this product, as you have clearly tested other lower-quality units of this type.

I won't say "Don't buy this" - it sounds like a just-right product at the right time for a lot of people. I say "I'm waiting"... but I already have much of what I need in the interim. I have a powerful 7" tablet (with Torque), a cheap touch screen double-din with backup camera, I have a carputer for AE and GPS (I never use GPS), and I have a smart phone. When I find the "killer" product I'm looking for, it will go in my dash - and much of the tech I currently have will be re-purposed.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:26 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
I think Tugly pretty much nailed my main concern. It's the name, never heard of it. Everyone has heard of sony, alpine, sub-zero fridge (have one and that thing is nice) whirlpool etc. My brother gave me a smaller flat screen T.V. with built in DVD player. It's a brand I never heard of or seen. The logo is a W with 3 round dots at the top of the W, A flat line under the W all in a circle, the thing is junk. Poor example but a concern on a name brand.

Either way I'm still very interested though. I did watch a couple videos on the unit and the next thing is to contact the manufacture. The videos shoed more people raving about this head unit and one guy has been in electronic design for 10 years. (very important in this day an age to believe YouTube and the Internet ) But goes through the u it very well and shoes it in nice detail. Another guy can't get his to go past the startup logo.

My deck is a single din Kenowod and is due for an upgrade as it is over 8 years old, still nice and works perfectly and will use it in the 53 pickup Lol.

Rich, I might be interested. Will see if I can wait that long... I know my wallet can Lol but this unit is cheap ands that's what's throwing me these curve *****. I will keep you in mind, Thanks buddy.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:44 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
I will give you my current position. This just a dollar comparison, the features and simplicity would be a slam dunk.
My X is a unmolested DD turned camper tower. I have to start from square one (a good and bad thing).

3 gauge pillar set $450
cheap 6-7" tablet for Torque $60-$110
2 Din nav/radio from any maker $400-$1000
total $910-$1560

or

joying 2 din $350
dual PLX EGT $200
PLX fuel pressure $170
Kiwi2 $69
iMFD $49
total $838

Old 10-06-2015, 07:47 PM
scottddove
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carterkraft I am where you are seems like a good decision.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:57 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by scottddove
Carterkraft I am where you are seems like a good decision.
Of course if the Joying is garbage then your out the $350...

I can't see spending the money Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood want for there version of a chinese head unit.

I also like how I can buy the joying off Amazon, that makes me feel a little better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who wants all digital read out gauges. Exhaust and fuel pressure too.