1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Temperature gauge inaccurate?

Old 10-05-2015, 05:35 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
New vehicles are for rich people and businesses. I'm not talking about new.

I'm talking about proper-aged vehicles.
The newest vehicle I own is a 1996. I paid $1000 for it over 5 years and since then Besides oil changes I've had to invest less then $800 into it over the entire time I've had it. Can you say that about any of your newer vehicles including the purchase price? Oh yea it has right around 250,000 miles on it too.

Calling anything older then 15 years scrap metal is just idiotic. You constantly belittling older vehicles in all these threads is just you wanting to stir crap up. There's a whole lot of people that own older vehicles. And if they have an issue or a question about them they don't want to hear "it's junk buy a newer vehicle"!! That's not helping anything.

Yes we all know you don't like older vehicles. Good, you don't have to buy one. Just like I don't have to buy a newer one simply because you don't like old vehicles!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
"Least to contribute"
"Idiotic"
"Stir up crap"
"Smart Alec"
"Silly quips"
"Trying to get attention"

You guys are mighty harsh on me. Am I not entitled to an opinion, or to give my choice of good advice? Just because you disagree doesn't give you the right to belittle me.

If you (any or all of you) dislike my advice/opinions, just don't respond. If you reread the thread you'll see that I never bashed anyone else's advice/opinions.

And secondly, this OP's problem is an excellent example of why/how I'm right. His 1993 van has a wiring/ground problem.. Not very common in a van dating under one decade.

Thirdly, KBB shows a 1993 ford econoline in fair condition at $866. Compared to $650 scrap. For a $200 "loss" you can rid the world of a gremlin-laden dinosaur and use the money for a down payment on a nice $5000 van that is about 10-12years newer. A $5000 loan will run you about $100/month.

Please find a way to disagree respectably if you disagree

Old 10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
"Least to contribute"
"Idiotic"
"Stir up crap"
"Smart Alec"
"Silly quips"

You guys are mighty harsh on me. Am I not entitled to an opinion, or to give my choice of good advice? Just because you disagree doesn't give you the right to belittle me.

If you (any or all of you) dislike my advice/opinions, just don't respond. If you reread the thread you'll see that I never bashed anyone else's advice/opinions.

And secondly, this OP's problem is an excellent example of why/how I'm right. His 1993 van has a wiring/ground problem.. Not very common in a van dating under one decade.

Thirdly, KBB shows a 1993 ford econoline in fair condition at $866. Compared to $650 scrap. For a $200 "loss" you can rid the world of a gremlin-laden dinosaur and use the money for a down payment on a nice $5000 van that is about 10-12years newer. A $5000 loan will run you about $100/month.

If you have that many people commenting about the way you are posting you might want to take the hint. Calling someones vehicle scrap metal or a "gremlin-laden dinosaur" isn't being very respectful either is it? You might want to take a little of your own advice.

And if you are going to post about the OP vehicle as least get the year right. It's a 1991 not a 93. That just shows you don't actually care.

And your logic just doesn't hold true. I've seen many 10-15 year old vehicles that were total nightmares. A newer vehicle is going to have more electronics then an older vehicle. So there are more parts that can fail then on an older vehicle. And when they do have a problem it usually cost more or is a lot more complicated to fix.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fordman75
If you have that many people commenting about the way you are posting you might want to take the hint. Calling someones vehicle scrap metal or a "gremlin-laden dinosaur" isn't being very respectful either is it? You might want to take a little of your own advice.

And if you are going to post about the OP vehicle as least get the year right. It's a 1991 not a 93. That just shows you don't actually care.

And your logic just doesn't hold true. I've seen many 10-15 year old vehicles that were total nightmares. A newer vehicle is going to have more electronics then an older vehicle. So there are more parts that can fail then on an older vehicle. And when they do have a problem it usually cost more or is a lot more complicated to fix.
More lashing out instead of actually addressing what was said. Unproductive.

Nonetheless, Fordman obviously votes "no" regarding allowing me to share my opinion. Clearly Fordman doesn't understand an Internet forum.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 PM
supertwin1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: temperature gauge

Thanks for the advice, those of you who contributed. There's alot of knowledge on this board and all of it is good and useful if sender & user can have good,helpful dialogue. By good,helpful dialogue I mean offer up some solutions to problems they are familiar with or have seen & direct the inquirer to a positive fix. I, for 1 have been a certified mechanic for 42 years but have no experience with the shortcomings of Ford vans as I'm trained on German & Japanese autos but say Wildman 25 may have seen the problem over & over so he's helpful by relaying that info. The style(more plastic/less metal)of the new vans doesn't attract me and I like the stance/look of the 3rd generation Econoline which is the determining factor as to why I chose the van. I am a mechanic........I fix ****, that's what I do so telling me to scrap a very clean & good running 1 ton tow vehicle because 1 of the gauges reads incorrectly seems excessive to me. If I don't find the poor ground problem for the instrument it's no big deal. I'll just spend $50 and mount and aftermarket gauge w/a transmission temp gauge and that'll be that! But again......thanks!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,378 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
Exceptionally astute observation on what's becoming a more frequent annoyance here. The proverbial "can dish it out, can't take it in return" problem, to wit:

"Least to contribute"
"Idiotic"
"Stir up crap"
"Smart Alec"
"Silly quips"

That which you're calling belittling is simply others REACTING to your own words---too bad you see it that way. As for understanding internet forums one has to refer back to Fordman75's thoughts about taking a hint as well as keeping in mind the word REACT. How people REACT to us in any endeavor very much depends how we approach them or make contact.

Those here who've earned respect don't bash others. Once again referring to Fordman75's comments "take the hint.....follow your own advice......" Good words to live by!

And BEFORE you start your nonsense trying to bash or bait ME read and re-read your comments here as well as several others across FTE where you've caused this same sort of ruckus, mostly trying to be "funny" but instead coming across very much NOT! Anyone familiar with these forums and certain usernames can and do make notice of behaviors here.

And on topic SuperTwin1----do you have an EVTM for your year and chassis? I think---but not sure---a friend has one laying around that can be had for free. He recently moved to all Chevrolet vans and is clearing out the Ford stuff including a few manuals.

If that would be useful I'd be happy to secure it and send it along----those are exceptionally helpful in situations like yours.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
I don't know how to quote in multiple boxes like other people, so please excuse my format:

1. "proverbial "can dish it out, can't take it"
Exactly what have I dished out? and Can't take it? Exactly what? What is this action that I've dished out? Have I used name calling? Or belittling others?

2. "That which you're calling belittling is simply others REACTING to your own words---too bad you see it that way. As for understanding internet forums one has to refer back to Fordman75's thoughts about taking a hint as well as keeping in mind the word REACT. How people REACT to us in any endeavor very much depends how we approach them or make contact."
Wouldn't that be "OVER"REACTING, when namecalling is involved?

3. "Those here who've earned respect don't bash others."
I guess you haven't earned respect then... because you literally follow me around the forum and seek any remote chance to bash the things I say. And isn't it considering "bashing" to say things like :
"Least to contribute"
"Idiotic"
"Stir up crap"
"Smart Alec"
"Silly quips"
No? Isn't that bashing? That's worth a few points' infraction on this forum I believe... Considering it was said about an innocent man who shared his opinions.

4. "And BEFORE you start your nonsense trying to bash or bait ME "
JWA, this sentence literally applies to what you just did. You are baiting me and bashing me. I could copy and paste much more evidence. Can you?

5. "read and re-read your comments here as well as several others across FTE where you've caused this same sort of ruckus,"
I have.

6. "mostly trying to be "funny" but instead coming across very much NOT!"
I made ONE humorous post about using brand names instead of proper names (Crescent wrench/adjustable wrench, Band aid/bandage strip, etc), and you flew off the handle and have hated me ever since. Check yo' self.

7. "Anyone familiar with these forums and certain usernames can and do make notice of behaviors here." True!! have you ever thought about what people think of JWA? it's may not be quite as you desire.

One thing I've learned here is this: When a guy has a problem with his antique Ford van, this forum is the best place for him to come find help. Amen. While other members can help him remedy his problem, I simply reminded him to consider its scrap metal value. (many people don't know this). And some people are insulted by this. In the future, I will find a more touchy-feely manner of conveying this messages. I promise.

IN CONCLUSION: The only thing I'm guilty of is having a differing opinion of when a vehicle loses its value. Most other people on this thread have disagreed with me, and a few lashed out emotionally (childishly even), and since I'm outnumbered, people think I'm causing problems.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I don't think anyone should scrap a truck because of an inop temperature gauge or whatever though. Could get a little pricey.

"Honey, there's a headlight out again."

"Oh, shucky darn. Well, Ed's says he'll give us 50 bucks for it."

"Yes, dear, but we still owe $23,450"

Old 10-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Tedster

Come on man. That's not at all what I'm getting at.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The topic back in line..........

I'm posting an update from the OP - supertwin1

Besides what else had been posted here..........

We been in PM and have it worked out, I have a cheap part for him, and he's willing to try the swap out, and see if the original problem will be solved.

He feels that his 25 year old van is worth the cheap part to keep it running and not have to take out a 7 year mortgage for a newer van.

So you all can keep posting away here, or in that other "younger" topic, and the rest of us will back away from the key boards, and get some work done on our old daily drive (paid for) relics