Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

460 EFI stock intake manifold source??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:38 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All EFI 460 engines use cast aluminum valve covers with 4 bolts down the center. They won't fit the carbureted heads and vice versa.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:34 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
All EFI 460 engines use cast aluminum valve covers with 4 bolts down the center. They won't fit the carbureted heads and vice versa.
The heads I bought included valve covers and headers, so I'm covered there. A side benefit of going with older heads as opposed to a newer intake is that I can finally find aftermarket valve covers if I ever want to change them. Aftermarket support for the EFI seems to be a lot more limited.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
All we need is 1 pic of a valve cover. Or how many bolts holt it down? 4 or 7
4 bolts down the middle, (E7TE) and matching front dress.

Here is the distributor that came with the truck. I replaced it with a distributor designed for a 1987 460 (carb). Notice the old carb has C8VF stamped on it......

Old 10-05-2015, 07:45 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's the understatement of the century.
But there are headers, injectors, cams, rockers, throttle bodies and tuners available.
EFI is a different world and limited by what a speed denisity ecu will support.
MAF Cali trucks are the grail when it comes to performance options.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:47 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

The distributor on it was for a carbureted engine as it is a DS-II design. D8VF is the body casting number and simply signifies that it was released for the 1968 model year, the year the 460 came out.

Ford used the same basic distributor body design from the late 50s until they went to TFI systems, Breaker point models have a round hole the point lead passes through, DS units, either DS-I or DS-II, have a slot the 3 leads pass through.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
That's the understatement of the century.
But there are headers, injectors, cams, rockers, throttle bodies and tuners available.
EFI is a different world and limited by what a speed denisity ecu will support.
MAF Cali trucks are the grail when it comes to performance options.
Call me a luddite, but I don't like relying on computers to do repairs. Pulling codes is not my idea of wrenching. I know there are a lot of benefits to EFI, but I can't imagine ever buying another EFI vehicle. I enjoy tinkering too much.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
The distributor on it was for a carbureted engine as it is a DS-II design. D8VF is the body casting number and simply signifies that it was released for the 1968 model year, the year the 460 came out.

Ford used the same basic distributor body design from the late 50s until they went to TFI systems, Breaker point models have a round hole the point lead passes through, DS units, either DS-I or DS-II, have a slot the 3 leads pass through.

Great info. I should be able to keep my distributor then...right?

Old 10-05-2015, 07:54 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

D=1970's
It is designed for when DSII with the large cap *and a SNAP ON* cap adapter was installed on all 460's
Being a tuneup guy, Bill, you have to remember the screw down ones.

Too bad the P.O. decided to splice the unavailable distributor harness plug.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:55 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Why not keep the dizzy if the shaft and gear are not worn and sloppy?

Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Jim, the TFI distributors use a screw down adapter. As for screw down caps, many imports used them along with some marine applications.

I have been messing with engines (started with an old B&S 6BH) since I was around 12-13 which is now close to 60 years. I used to own a carburetor and ignition shop. I realized in the 70s that EFI was the future and started learning all I could about it. I told another member on here I could change my engine's tune with a laptop, and have a lot more parameters that can be changed to affect both performance and economy, and BTW, since I have an E4OD, transmission shift points, characteristics and converter lock/unlock.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:59 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
D=1970's
It is designed for when DSII with the large cap *and a SNAP ON* cap adapter was installed on all 460's
Being a tuneup guy, Bill, you have to remember the screw down ones.

Too bad the P.O. decided to splice the unavailable distributor harness plug.
...that splice and a fried PIP sensor lead me to replace it. I don't have a picture of the new one, but it's essentially the same. I now have a new distributor, which also fixed a very frustrating heat soak issue that I spent a lot of time trying to figure out.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:02 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
Update: I got the heads taken completely apart and cleaned. I'm going to drop them off at the machine shop and see if they're worth rebuilding.

Side Note: The trick to cleaning heads in a bathtub is to either have a very understanding wife, or a very out-of-town wife. Mine is in Nashville visiting family for a few days.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Pip is only in a TFI distributor.

The magnetic pickup in a DSII distributor should read somewhere 450-950 ohms across the orange and purple wires.
They do fail on occasion.
I've seen a lot of broken magnets too.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:08 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by DrZoom
Update: I got the heads taken completely apart and cleaned. I'm going to drop them off at the machine shop and see if they're worth rebuilding.

Side Note: The trick to cleaning heads in a bathtub is to either have a very understanding wife, or a very out-of-town wife. Mine is in Nashville visiting family for a few days.
Oh man!
I lol'd
Won't you pay more for bathtub cleaner than the shop would charge to tank them???

Try to explain the smell to your wife when you decide to cure the VHT on your headers in the oven!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:23 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
Oh man!
I lol'd
Won't you pay more for bathtub cleaner than the shop would charge to tank them???

Try to explain the smell to your wife when you decide to cure the VHT on your headers in the oven!!!

It's all about the experience man.....I spent $3 on a huge bottle of dawn and still had enough left over to wash myself AND the tub! With my wife and kid out of town, I really don't have anything better to do but drink beer and wreck the house. It's the simple pleasures.....

Quick Reply: 460 EFI stock intake manifold source??